You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

• 10 months later...

Anyone been getting out since the lockdown was lifted?

I’ve joined a local club and am determined to play a lot this summer in the absence of anything else to do.

Handicap is 18.6 but was about 23 eighteen months ago so going in the right direction.

Would like to maybe get it to 16 by the end of the summer.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I’ve joined a local club and am determined to play a lot this summer in the absence of anything else to do.

Handicap is 18.6 but was about 23 eighteen months ago so going in the right direction.

Where are you playing? 

17 hours ago, Brownie said:

Chance would be a fine thing.

We've lost our golf holiday next month and am so fucking busy with work I'm struggling to get a day off let alone get out for a round.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We managed to move our golf holiday forward to this weekend.

So my brother went up to Swindon this afternoon to pick up his new golf clubs he’s spent £800 on. 

He got home and started giving it the billy big bollocks,  “Nothing feels like a Mizuno”!

Opens the box and they’d sent him right handed clubs. 

And he’s a gammy handed cunt!

• Upvote 2

Been playing four rounds the last two weeks, before that I played my last round in October 2018.

Very happy to be back, not been as rusty as I would imagine either.

Its no election this year so I will have some time to play this summer. 

20200711_141743.jpg

20200711_142237.jpg

20200711_144439.jpg

20200711_151633.jpg

4 minutes ago, Code said:

Been playing four rounds the last two weeks, before that I played my last round in October 2018.

Very happy to be back, not been as rusty as I would imagine either.

Its no election this year so I will have some time to play this summer. 

Must cost a fortune for clubs 

• Upvote 1

On 18/06/2014 at 13:32, JohnnyH said:

So two Ulster men will represent Ireland in 2016?  Something really needs to happen in the South with our golf at thr moment. My mate says there are half a dozen young lads (around 15-17) who are at +5 and have a good chance of making it.  We need at least 2 of those to come good as we've nothign there to really challenge for a major.  I fancy Lowry to put it together for 4 days in the likes of Carnoustie in a howling gale to win an Open at some point in the next 20 years.  But that seems about it.

Just saw I wrote this in 2014. I should be on Sky. 

• 2 months later...

Just watching DeChambeau's round last night and I've never seen anything like it. He just beat the shit out of a really tough course with brute force. It's hard to actually comprehend what he's doing. Smashing drives 325 yards on the fly and then hitting shots out of rough that's six inches deep.

Bit annoying that he puts on two stone and becomes the best golfer in the world, but when I do it I can barely get around the course without needing oxygen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Just watching DeChambeau's round last night and I've never seen anything like it. He just beat the shit out of a really tough course with brute force. It's hard to actually comprehend what he's doing. Smashing drives 325 yards on the fly and then hitting shots out of rough that's six inches deep.

Bit annoying that he puts on two stone and becomes the best golfer in the world, but when I do it I can barely get around the course without needing oxygen.

They reckon he could change the way golf at the top level is played after that. Size of the bugger now. 

47 minutes ago, dave u said:

The DeChambeau thing should accelerate a change of the ball in pro golf. They need to nerf it, go back to the ball they had before 2000. Big Bryce couldn't be doing what he's doing if the ball was spiny like it used to be and he's hitting 50 yard slices from swinging so hard.

I’ve not played anywhere near as much as I want to this year, moving kinda fucked that up.

We had our golf holiday and I won the players championship much to my brothers disgust. 

He’s since bought a Scotty Cameron putter for £380! 

He was on a golf/piss up weekend last week and they had a rule that anyone who 4 putted had to drink a dirty pint. 

He had to drink 2 dirty pints on the first night. £380! 

I was in tears when he told me the daft cunt. 

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Surely there’s always been a benefit for long drivers? 

You can’t penalise a guy for being better than the others. 

I don't think he's necessarily better,just stronger. Somebody posted about the golf ball being the culprit for the stupidity in today's golf and Jack Nicklaus said the same a few years back so there must be some truth in it. The problem is that the PGA Tour courses are just too easy for the modern golfers and need completely redesigning. Technology for the pros has completely outran these 200 year old courses. The only time they seem to struggle in US golf is when the wind blows and the weather is bad and this rarely happens over there.