You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

There's no mention of anything going to charity in that BBC link

Despite the good-natured approach, there is no chance of the duo sharing the purse, with Mickelson saying that the event had to be winner-takes-all.
"If you [don't] do that, it undermines it," Mickelson said. "The whole point is the winner-take-all thing. That's the exciting part about it."

It's also a pay per view event.

"It's an opportunity for us to bring golf to the masses in prime time during a period where we don't have much going on in the world of golf," Mickelson told ESPN.

Yeah, just as long as you can afford to watch it Phil.

Phoney...... do you actually watch golf...

I meant he's a phony human being who makes me physically cringe when he opens his mouth. He's barely a real person. Terrific golfer obviously, but would I enjoy watching him in a weird 1 on 1 setting, mic'd-up and with a camera stuck in his face? No. But I might tune in to watch Tiger. 

I meant he's a phony human being who makes me physically cringe when he opens his mouth. He's barely a real person. Terrific golfer obviously, but would I enjoy watching him in a weird 1 on 1 setting, mic'd-up and with a camera stuck in his face? No. But I might tune in to watch Tiger.

Odd.

• 2 months later...

I watched the whole thing. Two over the hill multi millionaires playing shit golf for a massive purse which neither needed and then ended up in a farcical floodlight pitch and putt competition to decide the winner. It reminded me of that CC shootout with Boro where no-one seemed to want to win and were past caring. I should have had the $9 mill for having to sit through the thing and listen to the 4 arseholes commentating shouting interminable shite.

at each other. 

On 8/16/2015 at 8:54 AM, Tyler Durden said:

Well I've only been playing a couple months but think I'm already at mid 20s level handicap wise but didn't really want to join any club in particular yet as I'm enjoying jumping around. Probably look to join a club next summer once I sampled the local ones.

Forgot about this post. 14 I've got down to beginning of this season but finished the season on 14.7.

Two old pros playing exhibition matches for money is nothing new but they don't need to do it due to the money in the game these days and just seemed like greed, be surprised if they do it again.

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, Ginny said:

Just got myself a new set of ping G irons. Got a good deal on them in American golf. Determined to play loads more golf this year. Currently around 15 handicap but want to get down to 12 if I can. Anyone play regular? 

I've been playing about twice per week in the summers for years, but I may tone that down now because it's getting too expensive for me.

I've been stuck on about a 13 for the last like 3 years. Just can't get better and probably won't get better anytime soon if I start playing less. It frustrates the life out of me sometimes because I'm the epitome of mediocrity despite how long I've been playing, but I still love it.

The most frustrating thing about my game is that everyone comments on how good my swing looks mechanically and yet I'm still such an inconsistent ball striker. Makes me fume. 

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've been playing about twice per week in the summers for years, but I may tone that down now because it's getting too expensive for me.

I've been stuck on about a 13 for the last like 3 years. Just can't get better and probably won't get better anytime soon if I start playing less. It frustrates the life out of me sometimes because I'm the epitome of mediocrity despite how long I've been playing, but I still love it.

The most frustrating thing about my game is that everyone comments on how good my swing looks mechanically and yet I'm still such an inconsistent ball striker. Makes me fume. 

Yes I can identify with pretty much all of that. Especially the last bit about the swing. People say that to me all the time but I play with lads that have shit swings and seem to hack their way around but shoot similar scores to me. Very frustrating game. I’m working pretty close to a course and driving range so going to try and get their more to practice more. 

Im thinking about getting a few lessons. 

13 minutes ago, Ginny said:

Yes I can identify with pretty much all of that. Especially the last bit about the swing. People say that to me all the time but I play with lads that have shit swings and seem to hack their way around but shoot similar scores to me. Very frustrating game. I’m working pretty close to a course and driving range so going to try and get their more to practice more. 

Im thinking about getting a few lessons. 

Lessons are a good call, but I would say you have to stick to one school of thought and one teaching professional. I've taken lessons and they've done almost nothing for me because I didn't stick with the teachings, I started to doubt them, I looked up different things and it all got muddled up. 

That's when my game has been the worse. I have so many thoughts in my head, different stuff is going on and I get confused. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Lessons are a good call, but I would say you have to stick to one school of thought and one teaching professional. I've taken lessons and they've done almost nothing for me because I didn't stick with the teachings, I started to doubt them, I looked up different things and it all got muddled up. 

That's when my game has been the worse. I have so many thoughts in my head, different stuff is going on and I get confused. 

There’s a package going quite cheap by were I live for three lessons which I’m going to get. I need to stay away from YouTube as there’s so much info that just baffles me. I think one of the reasons my swing looks so good is when I was growing up my dad had a video cassette tape of Fred couples golf lessons and I just watched that over and over and practiced the swing - there wasn’t any YouTube and the Internet was just starting. Now it’s just information overload. 

These new clubs I’ve got have spurred me on a bit as well. My old Ping i were about 20 years old and hitting these new ones is a dream!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 13:56, 3 Stacks said:

Great point that, you should swing naturally and then look to make slight adjustments from there. There’s no point in trying to mimic the “perfect” golf swing as it doesn’t exist. Do what comes natural but make slight tweaks and practice.

At the end of the day the short game is where you make big gains anyway and that’s more to do with touch than mechanics. 

Loved all the commentary on sky suggesting 3 wood or long iron up 18 as camera followed Rory onto tee box. Bag down glove on reaches for the big dog no discussion with caddy. Glad it worked out for him as Rahm getting all sorts for the decision he made at 11.  So hoping Rory wins the Masters but going out now and having ew on Jason Day and Justin Rose would say Rory hard to back.