You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Audiobooks

Sugar Ape

Anything worse than a American narrator on a non fiction book about something non American. 

Was going to get Where the Iron crosses grow on audible. 

Shit recording here but what a crap narrator. 

17 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

£21 spent, can't complain at this haul. Probably be £70-100 down by the end of the week but I'm listening to podcast, audiobook for a good 4/5hrs on workdays so 100plus hours a month. 

Screenshot_20200621_161333_com.audible.application.jpg

Screenshot_20200621_161325_com.audible.application.jpg

Dan Carlin released a book in October, and it's him narrating it. "-The End is Always near". You'll like it.

Also Mike Duncan, who did The History of Rome podcasts(and is still doing revolutions), has a book that he narrates. "The storm before the storm" . It's pretty great.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'll take a look when my next credit is in, thanks 

If this is audible, go to your library and return the book, it automatically refunds the credit allowing you to get another.

This advice is brough to you by fuckjeffbezostheweirdbaldcunt.com

On 14/05/2020 at 10:25, Moo said:

Reading through the thread and just wondering if anyone has any more audiobook recommendations?  Prefer listening to non-fiction but will consider fiction, and at the moment wouldn't mind something funny, but will consider all. 

Ta. 

I'd imagine Bill Bryson's books would translate well to the Audiobook format? Very witty and sarcastic they are.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I’m listening to Sean Carroll’s book called Something Deeply Hidden that’s about the Everett Interpretation of Quantum Physics. Not a comedy, I’ll give you that. It’s actually pretty good though. 

I'd have had that down as light humour at least.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Finished "Hero of Two Worlds" by Mike Duncan, last week. It's a biography on the Marquis de Lafayette, who was involved in both the American and French revolutions. Duncan is the guy who did the History of Rome podcast and the Revolutions one, as well, which is to say he's a brilliant narrator. The book itself is good, although I think far too sympathetic to Lafayette.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Hannibal's Oath, last week.

Naturally, it was featured around Hannibal crossing the Alps and the wars between Carthage and Rome. They started a little earlier, because Hannibal's dad made him swear an oath to be an opponent for the rest of his life when he was about 10, so it traced it from that to his death in modern day Turkey.

The author spent far too much time putting himself and his credentials over, and the narrator was unfamiliar with bit of the pronunciation, but it was mostly brilliant. Well researched, fast paced, compelling narrative, strong backstory - all of that good shit. And even though his pronunciation wasn't ideal, the narrator has a voice for just laying back and zoning out to, one of those with a dulcet tone.

Did make me laugh, before he got to the main story, he explained how Hannibal's dad(Hamilcar) was shagging his deputy general. When the Carthaginians forbade it and wouldn't allow them near each other, Hamilcar just got his daughter(Hannibal's sister)to marry the fella so he could get round it, as they were now family.

The fella's name?

Hazdrubal the handsome.

So, he must have been one pretty motherfucker.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 17:07, Elite said:

I really struggle with audiobooks, I lose attention without even realising and then miss what's been said for 5 minutes.

It happens to me too when I go for walks if I don't concentrate. Oddly, more with fiction than non-fiction. And strangely as well, never when I do chores around the house or outside or when I'm in bed or relaxing by the wood burner. Walking around town is the worst. Driving, so-so. Kitchen is the best, everything I do in there, never drift off from the book. 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Another start of the month another credit on Auduble. Starting on Stephen King's Under the Dome tomorrow. Having recently listened to Fairy Tale and The Stand I cannot fucking wait. 

Is there any way of earning additional Audible credits? 

You can buy a 2 book membership option or can buy 3 extra credits for about £20

• Upvote 1