You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

Yeah was interesting that, only watched it because my dad went the game. My dad was only 10 and was in London visiting family, he went the game on his own with no ticket and a Policeman stopped him and asked what he was doing roaming London on his own, my Dad said he was going the game and the copper gave my dad a ticket.

The conditions were bonkers though, pure waterlogged pitch.

Doubt you would get that again,playing in those conditions or a copper giving someone a ticket.Nice story.

Saw a great little documentary on the Beeb a couple of weeks back called The Watersplash Final between Leeds and Wakefield in which Don Fox missed an easy kick in front of the posts to win the trophy and how it haunted him for the rest of his life..

Obviously made me think of a certain goalkeeper and how things like that can change someone forever.

Might still be on BBC I player but here's the trailer....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk35aa8ILbI

I have absolutely no interest in rugby....yet I thought this was brilliant and captivating too. Just had it on in the background and ended up watching it.

Been working away this week so downloaded a ton of stuff to watch and a couple of new releases I'd recommend checking out.

Both available on Netflix.

'Bobby Kennedy for President'

Four part series that follows him from early years, to JFK's presidential bid campaign manager, to his eventual appointment as the Senator for New York. Covers his privileged background to his understanding and involvement in fighting for equal rights, Vietnam, his poor relationship with Lyndon B Johnson and his eventual murder in great detail. Really enjoyed this and I feel I got to know more about his work for the underprivileged than ever before. Damn shame he was killed.

November 13th: Attack on Paris

3 part series that covers the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks in great detail. Harrowing tales from the survivors in various bars, in/around the Stade de France and inside the Bataclan from hostages.

Tough to watch in places but stories well told from the people and emergency services who were there.

Been working away this week so downloaded a ton of stuff to watch and a couple of new releases I'd recommend checking out.

Both available on Netflix.

'Bobby Kennedy for President'

Four part series that follows him from early years, to JFK's presidential bid campaign manager, to his eventual appointment as the Senator for New York. Covers his privileged background to his understanding and involvement in fighting for equal rights, Vietnam, his poor relationship with Lyndon B Johnson and his eventual murder in great detail. Really enjoyed this and I feel I got to know more about his work for the underprivileged than ever before. Damn shame he was killed.

November 13th: Attack on Paris

3 part series that covers the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks in great detail. Harrowing tales from the survivors in various bars, in/around the Stade de France and inside the Bataclan from hostages.

Tough to watch in places but stories well told from the people and emergency services who were there.

Recommended this a few weeks back.The world owes him a massive debt for helping to avert nuclear armageddon over the Cuban Missile Crisis and his death throws up yet more conspiracy possibilities too.

Very good documentary.

Recommended this a few weeks back.The world owes him a massive debt for helping to avert nuclear armageddon over the Cuban Missile Crisis and his death throws up yet more conspiracy possibilities too.

Very good documentary.

Great isn’t it.

Fascinating to almost see/track his change in views as privileged but compassionate person, from the civil rights movement to the Vietnam war (of course of which his brother, JFK, continued)

Was real humanity portrayed about him at times in this. I’m sure he wasn’t a saint (as with all politicians) but he stood up for the minority’s, when needed.

Fascinating and at times, emotional watch. Especially the stuff with Cesar Chavez and American living conditions under the poverty line, when he didn’t actually need to be as involved. Also, the Latino hotel worker who comforted him as he was dying, having met him earlier.

Said a lot about him, I thought.

Well worth a watch and I’m very glad I checked it out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Anubis said:

Just a head’s up/ reminder that Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary, They Shall Not Grow Old, is on BBC2 tomorrow at 9.30pm.

Just returned from the cinema, after experiencing this film.

my partner and I have been put through the wringer so to speak. I am changed forever in some small way. This film is cinematic genius, and my hope, is that if enough people see it, we will all stand together and say ‘never again’.

It’s been an emotional day, as this morning, I found my Grandfather’s final resting place, for the first time since his passing in 1989.

He was a veteran and survivor of The Battle Of Jutland 1916, in which he served as a 15 yr old Battlecruiser Radio Operator.

Days like this don’t come along too often in a lifetime. 100 years since the Armistice, ending the nightmare of personal and collective torture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Just returned from the cinema, after experiencing this film.

my partner and I have been put through the wringer so to speak. I am changed forever in some small way. This film is cinematic genius, and my hope, is that if enough people see it, we will all stand together and say ‘never again’.

It’s been an emotional day, as this morning, I found my Grandfather’s final resting place, for the first time since his passing in 1989.

He was a veteran and survivor of The Battle Of Jutland 1916, in which he served as a 15 yr old Battlecruiser Radio Operator.

Days like this don’t come along too often in a lifetime. 100 years since the Armistice, ending the nightmare of personal and collective torture.

We lost 3 family members that we know of including my grandad's cousin who was around the same age as him when he died in 1918 at 18 years old and his Uncle. My Grandad might have served but he didn't even tell his kids if he did for sure.

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We lost 3 family members that we know of including my grandad's cousin who was around the same age as him when he died in 1918 at 18 years old and his Uncle. My Grandad might have served but he didn't even tell his kids if he did for sure.

Doesn’t it just show the stupendous size of the conflict, when you and I, representing our families, can discuss how it touched our families, and us, and it is 100 years after the event?

While my Grandfather was being blown up in the Battlecruiser action of Jutland, my Great Grandfather, Captain Quartermaster of the 1st Battalion North Staffs Regiment, watched two sons (my Geandfather’s brothers) go ‘ over the top’ in the 3rd battle of Ypres, into the mists of no-mans land, never to return.

A fourth brother, survived thru 14-18 only to succomb to Flu (like 20 million others) in 1919 and lies in the grounds of Cologne Cathedral.

My Great Grandather went on to give 40 yrs service and collect the DSM, and my grandfather served in the Homeguard in WW2, after making it through WW1.

2 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Doesn’t it just show the stupendous size of the conflict, when you and I, representing our families, can discuss how it touched our families, and us, and it is 100 years after the event?

While my Grandfather was being blown up in the Battlecruiser action of Jutland, my Great Grandfather, Captain Quartermaster of the 1st Battalion North Staffs Regiment, watched two sons (my Geandfather’s brothers) go ‘ over the top’ in the 3rd battle of Ypres, into the mists of no-mans land, never to return.

A fourth brother, survived thru 14-18 only to succomb to Flu (like 20 million others) in 1919 and lies in the grounds of Cologne Cathedral.

My Great Grandather went on to give 40 yrs service and collect the DSM, and my grandfather served in the Homeguard in WW2, after making it through WW1.

You know a lot more about your family back then than I do of mine,to be honest. It also pays to remember that during ww2 Liverpool was the most bombed city outside of London and lots of Merseysiders died in their own homes and neighborhoods without ever being part of that conflict.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You know a lot more about your family back then than I do of mine,to be honest. It also pays to remember that during ww2 Liverpool was the most bombed city outside of London and lots of Merseysiders died in their own homes and neighborhoods without ever being part of that conflict.

That is very true. “The Cruel Sea” (both film and book) brings that home.

Liverpool had about 13 kilometers of docks and many of the convoys started and ended there, making it a Strategic target for the Luftwaffe.

it took decades to rebuild the bombed parts of Liverpool - perhaps even today there are ‘spaces’ never rebuilt.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

That is very true. “The Cruel Sea” (both film and book) brings that home.

Liverpool had about 13 kilometers of docks and many of the convoys started and ended there, making it a Strategic target for the Luftwaffe.

it took decades to rebuild the bombed parts of Liverpool - perhaps even today there are ‘spaces’ never rebuilt.

King's Dock? Or in honour of Mr Bellew,Queens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...