You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

On 20/09/2020 at 22:56, johnsusername said:

It didn't go into the details of what was happening in the crew cabin which, if you've read it, is absolutely horrendous. After the rockets had gone they still carried on up for about another 20,000 feet, got to around 65,000 and then started falling. Someone tried to pilot the ship even though the ship was no longer attached. Some of the crew activated their oxygen. It's thought some of the crew may have been alive for the two minute descent - all they would have seen was the ocean getting closer and closer. Poor bastards.

But I'm not sure it's worse than what happened to the crew of the Columbia (though at least they probably died quickly before being pulverised to bits). 

Christ. Hope to god they all perished right away. 

I watched all 4 episodes last night. Had no idea there was so much controversy around it. In that final 12 hours when they had so many people against lifting off that day should have been enough. Fuck me even one dissenting voice from an expert should be enough to re-check again and again and again. I think they were so eager to achieve what they promised to the government (who without a doubt were adding their own pressure) that they have taken the risk and it’s cost people their lives. The scenes after the explosion when nobody is sure what’s happened are gut wrenching. 

10 hours ago, Juniper said:

The Columbia crew was thought to have been unconscious fairly quickly from which I hope is true.

Reason for that there’s apparently evidence they would have died from blunt force trauma with their heads effectively bashing inside/against their helmets from being whipped around in their seats - before the ship disintegrated - as the upper body restrains weren’t that efficient. 

Which is even more horrific for the families.

Yep. I'm not sure I'd want to know, if that was one of my family members. How could you live knowing your son/daughter/parent had died like that. Terrible.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yep. I'm not sure I'd want to know, if that was one of my family members. How could you live knowing your son/daughter/parent had died like that. Terrible.

That and NASA refused help from

the US government to look at the damaged wing with one of their spy satellites to see the extent of the problem, before they attempted re-entry. 

Again, completely avoidable as they also had another shuttle that could have rescued the crew, or the ISS being used as temporary shelter.

NASA’s decision making process completely at fault for that one also.

Unfortunately they didn’t learn from Challenger. I remember all that talk of the wing in the days leading up to them returning, low and behold they perished also.

Horrible stuff putting lives at risk all over chance. 

Storyville: Eagle Huntress

The story of Aishoplan, a little Mongolian girl who wants to follow in the footsteps of her father and her grandfather in becoming an eagle hunter.

Beautifully shot with some breathtaking scenery, a truly heartwarming and humbling tale.

Fantastic

On BBC iPlayer

On 20/09/2020 at 22:31, cochyn said:

The Last Dance. I'd no earthly interest in the NBA much less the 1989-98 Chicago Bulls. But fuck me, it's engrossing. And Scotty Pippen is as cool as fuck.

Yeah I loved this, really well made. 

Like you I have no interest in basketball whatsoever. I was too young to remember it properly but it seems a really good snapshot into what it was like back then, with Michael Jordan being the most famous man on the planet, in a different league compared to Messi, Ronaldo and any other sports person you can think of. 

Extra points for Dennis Rodman being legitimately insane. 

22 minutes ago, redheart said:

I actually thought that the Challenger Documentary was paper thin considering it was four episodes. It told me nothing new. The only new aspect was listening to the family members of the crew and the impact it had on their lives.

I had no idea about the internal stuff that went on. I remember back then that most of the discussions on the news channels centred around the heat protecting tiles on the shuttles rather than the booster rockets.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

I actually thought that the Challenger Documentary was paper thin considering it was four episodes. It told me nothing new. The only new aspect was listening to the family members of the crew and the impact it had on their lives.

54 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I had no idea about the internal stuff that went on. I remember back then that most of the discussions on the news channels centred around the heat protecting tiles on the shuttles rather than the booster rockets.

All I ever knew was that it exploded and always assumed it was just a terrible accident. Really fucking bad from NASA that though. 

I did struggle looking at the face on one of the woman who was alsmot in the final selection to go up. The one with the glasses? Really lovely women, absolutely intriguing woman who has lived a great life but if she was in Men In Black you wouldn't hesitate to know she was from another planet. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

All I ever knew was that it exploded and always assumed it was just a terrible accident. Really fucking bad from NASA that though. 

I did struggle looking at the face on one of the woman who was alsmot in the final selection to go up. The one with the glasses? Really lovely women, absolutely intriguing woman who has lived a great life but if she was in Men In Black you wouldn't hesitate to know she was from another planet. 

I thought it was also negligent to pretty much gloss over the Columbia disaster in 2003 given it was a documentary about another disaster involving the same type of transport. Maybe they are doing that one separately?

Caught up with the Challenger doc, I didn't know much about it so found it very interesting, horrible way to go.

One thing that did irk me slightly is why the school teacher decided she wanted to go to space whilst she had a young daughter at home. Priorities. Ended up horrifically as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I bet he didn't give Edam.

The owner of the place was Peter Moores of the Littlewoods family and I don't think he gave a shit.

The fella who ran it was devastated as he'd given it everything. He was a really good bloke.

My interview was "you've got 2 arms, 2 legs, start tomorrow. Do you want a fag?".

It was only a small operation, which was a victim of its own success. 

It was closed because it was cheaper for Moores to have it running at a loss but the cheeses were that good it was making a profit. 

Something to do with tax I think.

Nice Edam gag!