You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Once Upon A Time In Iraq - 9/10

Outstanding. Gives a true reflection of what really went on there and the toll it's taken on generations of Iraqi people. 

I knew after the first episode I couldn’t watch it, it really upset me as it still too raw. 

Poor fuckers who are just trying to get the most out of their one go on the carousel and at every point their life is a living nightmare.

In 10/15 years I think I’ll be ready when it feels  like ‘history’, but now, I can’t as it upset me too much knowing that it was all avoidable and they are dealing with the consequences of disastrous decisions.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I knew after the first episode I couldn’t watch it, it really upset me as it still too raw. 

Poor fuckers who are just trying to get the most out of their one go on the carousel and at every point their life is a living nightmare.

In 10/15 years I think I’ll be ready when it feels  like ‘history’, but now, I can’t as it upset me too much knowing that it was all avoidable and they are dealing with the consequences of disastrous decisions.

Weird that as I couldn't watch beyond the first episode either. The part about that poor family living in a tent in some barren waste land that was then hit by an air strike still haunts me.

If any of you need to raise your anger levels and despair at humanity even more, then give The Australian Dream a watch.

It's available on I player for another 11 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lpv7

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, cloggypop said:

I've already put it in the films thread but John Was Trying To Contact Aliens should be in here really. It's only about 15 minutes long, is on Netflix if you pay for that and it's great. 

it is great - and he had a boss taste in music too. Maybe he could do some sort of top 20 bands to broadcast into space thread?

9 minutes ago, markcd said:

it is great - and he had a boss taste in music too. Maybe he could do some sort of top 20 bands to broadcast into space thread?

He was like John Peel to a possibly nonexistent alien audience for 30 years. 

Mate loved it so much he went searching for more. There's an interview and some actual broadcasts here. 

https://www.dublab.com/archive/frosty-w-guest-john-shepherd-celsius-drop-project-s-t-r-a-t-special-08-20-20

His musical taste is immaculate. Love that all those boss sounds are travelling through space, waiting to be appreciated. 

Watched the first two episodes of Once Upon A Time In Iraq.  

Upsetting seeing what might have been with better decision making, but also some of the inhumanity from the outset that was hidden away from the cameras - the strike on the Bedouin camp being a prime example. Also disturbing to watch Nate Cassman’s descent from model commander to full-on Colonel Kurtz with just a couple of bad days.

Excellent documentary so far, though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Watched the first two episodes of Once Upon A Time In Iraq.  

Upsetting seeing what might have been with better decision making, but also some of the inhumanity from the outset that was hidden away from the cameras - the strike on the Bedouin camp being a prime example. Also disturbing to watch Nate Cassman’s descent from model commander to full-on Colonel Kurtz with just a couple of bad days.

Excellent documentary so far, though.

Hopefully only the relatively cuddly film version, not the poster on here ?

• 2 weeks later...

Started watching ‘Challenger: The Final Flight’ on Netflix last night

About the 1986 space shuttle disaster, details all the failings in NASA and heavily focuses on the O-Ring issue that caused the explosion.

Four part series, produced by JJ Abrams. Did two episodes last night and quite the eye opener so far. 

• Upvote 1

On 17/09/2020 at 18:21, Elite said:

The Social Dilemma on Netflix is much better than I had expected. AI is already controlling us much more than I thought.

I watched the first half hour of that, went to make a brew and then ended up on my phone posting on here. I’m not even joking. 

Usher is in on it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I watched the first half hour of that, went to make a brew and then ended up on my phone posting on here. I’m not even joking. 

Usher is in on it. 

Of course he is. He's taught Zuckerberg all he knows about poisoning people's brains 

On 17/09/2020 at 20:26, Juniper said:

Started watching ‘Challenger: The Final Flight’ on Netflix last night

About the 1986 space shuttle disaster, details all the failings in NASA and heavily focuses on the O-Ring issue that caused the explosion.

Four part series, produced by JJ Abrams. Did two episodes last night and quite the eye opener so far. 

Just finished this. What a cover up and some of the families have swallowed the bullshit too,unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just finished this. What a cover up and some of the families have swallowed the bullshit too,unfortunately.

Yeah really bad.

You've have thought NASA would have ensured nothing like that would have happened again, but the same failings in decision making and risk taking with people's lives resulted in the Columbia disaster in 2003.

Unfortunately that was also avoidable.

20 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Yeah really bad.

You've have thought NASA would have ensured nothing like that would have happened again, but the same failings in decision making and risk taking with people's lives resulted in the Columbia disaster in 2003.

Unfortunately that was also avoidable.

It didn't go into the details of what was happening in the crew cabin which, if you've read it, is absolutely horrendous. After the rockets had gone they still carried on up for about another 20,000 feet, got to around 65,000 and then started falling. Someone tried to pilot the ship even though the ship was no longer attached. Some of the crew activated their oxygen. It's thought some of the crew may have been alive for the two minute descent - all they would have seen was the ocean getting closer and closer. Poor bastards.

But I'm not sure it's worse than what happened to the crew of the Columbia (though at least they probably died quickly before being pulverised to bits). 

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

It didn't go into the details of what was happening in the crew cabin which, if you've read it, is absolutely horrendous. After the rockets had gone they still carried on up for about another 20,000 feet, got to around 65,000 and then started falling. Someone tried to pilot the ship even though the ship was no longer attached. Some of the crew activated their oxygen. It's thought some of the crew may have been alive for the two minute descent - all they would have seen was the ocean getting closer and closer. Poor bastards.

But I'm not sure it's worse than what happened to the crew of the Columbia (though at least they probably died quickly before being pulverised to bits). 

The most telling thing to me was how the documentary mentioned that during the early design and testing that the Russians,the Soviets at the time,refused to use solid state booster rockets deeming them unsafe. If they said 'no way' how the fuck could it be justified at all?

On 20/09/2020 at 22:56, johnsusername said:

The Columbia crew was thought to have been unconscious fairly quickly from which I hope is true.

Reason for that there’s apparently evidence they would have died from blunt force trauma with their heads effectively bashing inside/against their helmets from being whipped around in their seats - before the ship disintegrated - as the upper body restrains weren’t that efficient. 

Which is even more horrific for the families.