You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching that Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix. It's the equivalent of a top Premiership footballer killing people and then playing at the weekend. Bonkers, had a £40m contract and was killing people for no reason.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Nutters. A documentary about head-the-balls and Pakistan's blasphemy laws. 

Storyville, The Accused: Damned or Devoted?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fzpl via @bbciplayer

Watched the majority of that last night and fucking hell there’s some full blown ‘tards in the world.

Excellent character study, but you can’t quite believe that such retrograde and backwards views exist, let alone have huge support. It’s akin to the Salem Witch Trials at points which is fucking scary.

Storyville really is superb. I’ve been meaning to start a thread about it for a while but there’s too many good ones to remember. Even if they’re on a topic you don’t consider yourself interested in they’re still great. A fair few have gone on to other platforms and done well without the Storyville banner and I occasionally check YouTube to see if any older ones have resurfaced. 

Can’t find a link to it on my box/firestick but my all-time favourite is still ‘Shooting Bigfoot.’

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Storyville really is superb. I’ve been meaning to start a thread about it for a while but there’s too many good ones to remember. Even if they’re on a topic you don’t consider yourself interested in they’re still great. A fair few have gone on to other platforms and done well without the Storyville banner and I occasionally check YouTube to see if any older ones have resurfaced. 

Can’t find a link to it on my box/firestick but my all-time favourite is still ‘Shooting Bigfoot.’

Watched the Muscle Shoals Storyville documentary last week and it was very good.

I started one called Sergio on Netflix but it had constant interviews with the war criminal Tony Blair and referencing his mate George W Bush that I couldn't stomach more than about ten minutes.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Watched the Muscle Shoals Storyville documentary last week and it was very good.

I started one called Sergio on Netflix but it had constant interviews with the war criminal Tony Blair and referencing his mate George W Bush that I couldn't stomach more than about ten minutes.

I’ve seen that and thought it very good, some boss tunes recorded there over the years. Storyville is always worth a watch, that one about a Russian prison stuck in the middle of a snowbound forest the size of Germany, grim. As well as no luncheon vouchers.

On 04/03/2020 at 23:45, Captain Turdseye said:

Fatal experiments downfall of a super surgeon . Was a Storyville 3 partner not available on iPlayer any more . Probably the best documentary I have ever watched it was wtf brulliant.

17 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Fatal experiments downfall of a super surgeon . Was a Storyville 3 partner not available on iPlayer any more . Probably the best documentary I have ever watched it was wtf brulliant.

I posted about that in this very thread!

On 09/11/2016 at 19:26, Captain Turdseye said:

Watched a three part Storyville doc over the last couple of days. It's called Fatal Experiments: The Downfall of a Super Surgeon. It should be on the iPlayer. It's about the surgeon Paulo Macchiarini who was transplanting plastic windpipes into people without them having been properly tested. Pretty harrowing watch at times but gripping nonetheless.

I googled the fella afterwards to see if there'd been any developments and found an article about him in Vanity Fair which was madness. He'd got engaged to an American journo and he'd lied to her about all sorts, saying that he knew the pope and he'd talked him into officiating their wedding. He also said the Obamas , the Clintons and loads of others were going to be there but it was all lies. It turns out he was already married anyway. Absolutely jaw dropping levels of bullshit from someone who's already famous and supposedly a world renowned expert in his field.

Anyone watched Hospital on BBC2, fly on the wall documentary on the 4 main hospitals in Liverpool.

It puts you through every emotion going and leaves you astonished at how NHS staff work under such pressure. 

I have to watch them in chunks otherwise I wouldnt sleep, they really put you through the mincer, but is a must watch I reckon.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has the jinx been mentioned in here. Absolutely brilliant HBO documentary about a weird, very wealthy son of a property tycoon in New York.

first episode starts with a dismembered body being found in bin bags off the Texas coast, and final episode of ends with one of the best “oh my god what the fuck” things you’ll ever hear in a documentary.

i can tell you this without giving anything away... that body in Texas was an old man that was killed, chopped to pieces and dumped into the sea by him, but that’s just the start of the weirdness.

On 02/03/2020 at 21:36, Elite said:

I've been watching that Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix. It's the equivalent of a top Premiership footballer killing people and then playing at the weekend. Bonkers, had a £40m contract and was killing people for no reason.

It’s mental that. Well worth a watch. 

The Dark Side of the Ring documentaries on 4od are brilliant. Behind the scenes of 80’s and 90’s wwf tragedies and tales. Lee mentioned them on the wrestling draft. Superb 

13 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Has the jinx been mentioned in here. Absolutely brilliant HBO documentary about a weird, very wealthy son of a property tycoon in New York.

first episode starts with a dismembered body being found in bin bags off the Texas coast, and final episode of ends with one of the best “oh my god what the fuck” things you’ll ever hear in a documentary.

i can tell you this without giving anything away... that body in Texas was an old man that was killed, chopped to pieces and dumped into the sea by him, but that’s just the start of the weirdness.

The Jinx is fucking ace. 

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s mental that. Well worth a watch. 

The Dark Side of the Ring documentaries on 4od are brilliant. Behind the scenes of 80’s and 90’s wwf tragedies and tales. Lee mentioned them on the wrestling draft. Superb 

I stumbled upon them the other night. Watched the first two. That first episode was mental.