You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

On 2/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, stringvest said:

Anvil - The Story of Anvil

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/

That is a brilliant little film. It out Tap's Spinal Tap in places but there's a genuine warmth and love at it's heart.

Compulsory viewing for anyone who's ever been in a band.

• Upvote 2

Wasn’t aware of this thread. Just posted on the Beats & Pieces thread about The Man From Mo’ Wax, the story of James Lavelle’s rise, fall and partial renaissance. If you were into that era of music it’s brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2016 at 3:32 AM, SammyAftershave said:

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

Well, if you are an incredibly talented visionary, multi-millionair, years ahead of the market, with an eye for a tropical paradise, turn into a personalised paranoid fortress with the added bonus of throwing party's, paying off the the local law enforcement, surrounding yourself with a heavily-armed paramilitary defence force and having the pick oft the most beautiful local chicks to come around and shit in your mouth, where else would you go?

He does have a passing resemblence to a post +HIV John Holmes.......But I wouldn't want to go throwing mud on JH's otherwise stellar reputation. (particularly, with the price of decent quality shit these days).

I watched this last night. What a mad story! I’ve just Googled him and he’s currently on the run again, living on a boat, having paid no tax for eight years and declaring that tax is illegal anyway. 

Oh, and he’s planning to run for president again without even leaving his boat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Decent little documentary series on Amazon prime

Rolling stone: Stories from the edge

Just a load of stories on the history of the magazine and some of the major stories they've covered including Hunter S Thompson covering the elections, John Lennon, Ice T cop killer etc

Worth a watch, not amazing but a good 25 mins for each episode 

• 3 weeks later...

Nae Pasarán 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002wsm/nae-pasaran

It's the story of a bunch of Rolls Royce engineers in East Kilbride in the 70s who refused to maintain fighter jet engines for the Pinochet regime - and the people in Chile affected by that decision. 

Inspiring stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nae Pasarán 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002wsm/nae-pasaran

It's the story of a bunch of Rolls Royce engineers in East Kilbride in the 70s who refused to maintain fighter jet engines for the Pinochet regime - and the people in Chile affected by that decision. 

Inspiring stuff.

Just watched this. Bob Fulton is a dude. And at 90 odd, still a beast of a man. Hands like shovels. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Israel: One Land, Twice Promised"

by Karel and Finger

A recent French documentary covering the period from '45 to '70 or thereabouts concetrating on '48 and '67 in particular.

A mix of excellent archival footage and commentary from historians, journalists etc.

Very informative and insightful, I thought.

This is a really absorbing documentary about a German guy who came to America, murdered his landlords, then travelled around affecting a ridiculous 'English' accent and, thanks to the hopeless snobbery of some people, kept circulating at all the fashionable places for years and years.

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/10/137624164/30-year-con-from-german-kid-to-rockefeller-scion

The latest Storyville on iPlayer about the war crimes trial of Ratko Mladic is a great, if at times harrowing, watch. 

Shows how people get corrupted to do hideous things in the name of nationalism and how such nationalistic tendencies are still prevalent and are stopping people from realising the wrongs that were done. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest Storyville on iPlayer about the war crimes trial of Ratko Mladic is a great, if at times harrowing, watch. 

Shows how people get corrupted to do hideous things in the name of nationalism and how such nationalistic tendencies are still prevalent and are stopping people from realising the wrongs that were done. 

Watched it pretty good synopsis. Difficult to watch.

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yoda and Exodus Redux are the two best Kodi add-ons right now. It’ll be on both of them in 720p. 

Cheers mate.

That does however require me sitting down and bothering my arse to set it all up. 

I really am a lazy cunt.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Cheers mate.

That does however require me sitting down and bothering my arse to set it all up. 

I really am a lazy cunt.

I completely get that. I reluctantly had to take ten minutes out of my empty schedule the other day to set up my own Kodi which I hadn’t touched since it updated itself a couple of months ago. 

17 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I completely get that. I reluctantly had to take ten minutes out of my empty schedule the other day to set up my own Kodi which I hadn’t touched since it updated itself a couple of months ago. 

Doing it the first time I was okay with, it was that ongoing maintenance which brought out the sloth in me.