You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

On 1/1/2019 at 2:51 AM, SasaS said:

Of what?

Well, I grew up like everybody else, assuming that VE Day was the end of not only the conflict, but the process of WW2.

I never gave a thought to the aftermath - the sheer volume of the tragedy, reprisals as hunters became the hunted, necessary repatriation and rebuild.

12 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Well, I grew up like everybody else, assuming that VE Day was the end of not only the conflict, but the process of WW2.

I never gave a thought to the aftermath - the sheer volume of the tragedy, reprisals as hunters became the hunted, necessary repatriation and rebuild.

Well, yes. Add ethnic cleansing of the defeated nations, mass executions, political turmoil etc.

Same as with the WWI, which continued in the form of a number of regional wars, revolutions, wars of independence.

3 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

When The Screaming Stops. 150/10. Story of Bros’ comeback gif at the O2. World class.

Andre The Giant. Brilliant insight to the 8th wonder of the world. And sad. Very sad.

Seen loads about this on twitter. Gonna give it a go. Is it more unintentional humour ? 

• 4 weeks later...

The Ted Bundy Confession Tapes doc on Netflix is fascinating.

I'm 29 years old and it seems truly unbelievable that someone could get away with this in numerous states and the police didn't seem to be talking to each other. 

The court footage of him representing himself is crazy.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Carradona said:

The Ted Bundy Confession Tapes doc on Netflix is fascinating.

I'm 29 years old and it seems truly unbelievable that someone could get away with this in numerous states and the police didn't seem to be talking to each other. 

The court footage of him representing himself is crazy.

The end blew me away. The fucking judge saying how much he likes ted and wishes he was practising law with him ! The mad cunt had just killed 30 odd women and a 12 year old girl for god sake 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The end blew me away. The fucking judge saying how much he likes ted and wishes he was practising law with him ! The mad cunt had just killed 30 odd women and a 12 year old girl for god sake 

Yea, he said something like "I want you to know that I have no animosity towards you, you would have made a great lawyer and I would have like to seen you in my courtroom. You just went the other way"

That last line is the understatement of the century.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Yea, he said something like "I want you to know that I have no animosity towards you, you would have made a great lawyer and I would have like to seen you in my courtroom. You just went the other way"

That last line is the understatement of the century.

Mental. 

I liked the Ted Bundy documentary, and like some have said the courtroom bit was bizarre, it was like he was getting off on asking the witnesses to go into great detail on what they saw. Also yes, weird comments by the judge at the end. Something about the crowds outside the prison on the day of execution didn't stil right with me though, don't know why.

The Bros documentary was brilliant in it's awfulness, you could see the pain in the eyes of the session musicians having to listen to these pair of divs talking like they were Lennon and McCartney trying to make an album.

Watched that Fyre Festival one last night. Amazing how many people parted with huge sums to go to a festival that had no hope of happening. Frightening how it got so far along without someone stepping in to stop it.

• 2 weeks later...

Free Solo. A few have mentioned it on the Movie thread but this thread is more apt. The footage of him climbing the 3000ft rock face with his bare hands nearly gave me a panic attack just watching it. Brilliant cinematography and character study. He's a crazy, crazy cunt but appears a really good bloke. 

On 2/2/2019 at 4:25 PM, manwiththestick said:

I liked the Ted Bundy documentary, and like some have said the courtroom bit was bizarre, it was like he was getting off on asking the witnesses to go into great detail on what they saw. Also yes, weird comments by the judge at the end. Something about the crowds outside the prison on the day of execution didn't stil right with me though, don't know why.

The crowds getting smashed and partying over an execution is weird you're right to feel that way. Relief I can understand, but going wild like it's spring break smacks of bad taste to me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Defiant Ones. 

It's a 3 parter. I've watched the first 2.

It's a look at the Dr. Dre's life and career and that of his partner in the Beats business, Jimmy Iovine. Iovine is a former music engineer/producer/label owner. It looks at his time working with the likes of Springsteen, Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty. 

I've no real interest in either of them, but it was a good watch. It's currently on iPlayer. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Defiant Ones. 

It's a 3 parter. I've watched the first 2.

It's a look at the Dr. Dre's life and career and that of his partner in the Beats business, Jimmy Iovine. Iovine is a former music engineer/producer/label owner. It looks at his time working with the likes of Springsteen, Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty. 

I've no real interest in either of them, but it was a good watch. It's currently on iPlayer. 

My mate made that.