You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the problem is to do with what's expected. There needs to be something/someone who comes along and rips up the current bland rulebook to make it more interesting. I'm not fully familiar with all the details of what he did in the Spanish game after his playing days for Brighton/LFC/Osasuna, but my limited understanding is that Michael Robinson was a breath of fresh air when he made the move the tv. We need that sort of seismic shift in punditry in the English game.

Whenever I've travelled to Ireland (before moving to America) I would occasionally catch a bit of football on RTE and I thought that was a lot better than what we had in England too. There was proper debate and they seemed a bit more forthright in putting their views across. I seem to recall watching Souness on there a couple of times and I thought he made good points and held his own, arguing with the other pundits in a way that made it all interesting. Whenever I've see Souey on the telly in England it was much tamer.

I think the rule book needs to be ripped up in English punditry so something new might be able to emerge.

I think part of the problem is to do with what's expected. There needs to be something/someone who comes along and rips up the current bland rulebook to make it more interesting. I'm not fully familiar with all the details of what he did in the Spanish game after his playing days for Brighton/LFC/Osasuna, but my limited understanding is that Michael Robinson was a breath of fresh air when he made the move the tv. We need that sort of seismic shift in punditry in the English game.

Whenever I've travelled to Ireland (before moving to America) I would occasionally catch a bit of football on RTE and I thought that was a lot better than what we had in England too. There was proper debate and they seemed a bit more forthright in putting their views across. I seem to recall watching Souness on there a couple of times and I thought he made good points and held his own, arguing with the other pundits in a way that made it all interesting. Whenever I've see Souey on the telly in England it was much tamer.

I think the rule book needs to be ripped up in English punditry so something new might be able to emerge.

There's some good points there Rev but the last thing we need to do is go down the RTE route.

Much more like James Richardson and Channel 4's coverage of Italian football.

Lawrensen said something during commentary which made me and my mate just look at each other speechless. I think there was about 10 seconds of silence and he just said something like 'el football' or something, just something totally baffling and naff.

it wasn't when he substituted desperate for desperado was it?

Hansen has suffered for having 'Banalan' Shearer to spar with. Imagine going to work every day knowing you only have to to out-smart a carrot to seem competent?

James Richardson should be the host

Good call, that.

Hansen can be boss, but I'd say 'coasting' is the right word to use. He still has his moments as a pundit, but they've been few and far between these last few years.

Lawrenson's just a tit though. As said, he's a got a horrible personality and somebody needs to tell him he's not funny. He's the one who needs a kick up the arse more than anybody.

Both terrestrial channels are wank, but I'd say ITV have edged it over BBC on the punditry front for me, as Carra, Vieira and Martinez have been boss this tournament. I also really like Strachan.

BBC defo needs a revamp. The coverage has been stale for a while now. Football Focus, for instance, used to be boss, but it's unbearable now they have that nice, inoffensive Dan Walker gimp sucking at the unquestionable teet of 'Lawro' every Saturday at 12:15.

Hansen is ok, Lawro cringeworthy.

Keown dreadful, i enjoyed Vialli and Klinsmann

Agree with that.

Hansen still has it in him to be a good pundit but has gotten lazy. Lawro has never been anywhere near to being a decent pundit, and has been truly abysmal in the last couple of years.

I will agree that ITV probably edged it with regard to the analysis. Carra and Martinez were pretty good with their insights. On the BBC side, Vialli really impressed me, along with Klinsmann (sp). Vialli impressed me the most on the Italy Vs Germany game, where he stated that the German team had made a tactical switch to mirror the Italians, rather than play their own game, which could have led to a different outcome. Keown was a disgrace in that game, he offered absolutely nothing.

Agree with that.

Hansen still has it in him to be a good pundit but has gotten lazy. Lawro has never been anywhere near to being a decent pundit, and has been truly abysmal in the last couple of years.

I have to ask.. what else have you lost out on? There's at least a whole decade of your life missing.

I'd agree with that that Vialli and Klinsmann were boss during the Italy V Germany game. Vialli was also good value tonight I thought, before I left the house to meet my mates down the boozer for the match.

It'd be boss to see them on MOTD next season. I know Klinsmann's the USA boss so it'd be quite difficult for him, but what's Vialli up to these days?

Can't be worse than Eamonn Dunphy on Irish TV, banging on about the Spanish players not singing the national anthem last night. He claimed it showed unity. The buffoons on the panel with him, and the presenter, didn't have the intellect to correct him on the Spanish anthem having no words.

Hansen went downhill after Des Lynam left, because Lynam was a journalist who asked him pertinent questions and made him explain issues clearly. Lineker, being an ex-pro himself, doesn't ask much at all because he thinks it's obvious, thus leaving Hansen and Co with little to do except respond to his idiotic puns and cue up the VT.

Guest ShoePiss

Fom what ive seen of Irish footy panels they're pissed up old men and talk like they're in the pub, shouting and talking bollocks.

Mark Lawrenson shouldn't have that job, it's really off putting to hear constant snide remarks. He sounds like a nasty, bitter rat.

Klinsmann and Vialli were enjoyable, it was really interesting to hear their insight into the games.

Jockey is fine, others have nailed it, he's just coasting. I'd like to see Souness sitting next to Hansen, I think it would be the kick up the arse he needs.

Vialli is a deep thinker about the game, despite giving off this impression of an aged Pepe Reina joker character.

I read his book that he wrote with Gabriel Marcotti called The Italian Job, and it was enlightening. I think he's got a lot to offer a team as a manager or coach.

I still like Hansen. He's like an comfy pair of slippers.

And as for the insight and expert analysis; it's generally fucking boring anyway. I just want to watch the football. I couldn't give a fuck about the rest. If I wanted some div's worthless opinion about formations, I could just log on to this place.

Agree about Lawro's co-commentary. He thinks he's there just to make snide comments and shit puns. Perhaps he is, but quite a bit of what he said wasn't funny or interesting, in fact one or two of his asides made no sense at all.

hansen's fine

lawrenson however ruins it for me. he is bad enough on footy focus let laone listening to him commentate on a match.

comment last night pissed me off "Italy have barely touched the ball" Lawro - "Bit like Ireland"

said snidily.

bell-whiff

Lawro is a mong of the highest order. His comment when talking about Jordi Alba going to Barca for €14m.. Something along the line of "or two Andy Carrolls.." Snidy fucker has a dig at any given opportunity about anything and anyone. Cunt.

I still like Hansen.