You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which ISP?

It's a regular topic on here but constantly changing. Lurtz Towers is moving premises from tomorrow and I'll be requiring a new ISP as the internets are free in the building currently housing Lurtz towers.

So what's the best deal? I was going to look at Plusnet but it's £20 a month including line rental with a 60gb cap. Doesn't sound like such a great deal to me. Are there some better deals that TNF land know about?

Look at the broadband availability checker at samknows.com

You ideally want LLU as they give the best deals. Linking your contract in with your mobile phone contract or sky, tends to give the best deals.

However, if there is no LLU plusnet is prob your best and cheapest option

It's a regular topic on here but constantly changing. Lurtz Towers is moving premises from tomorrow and I'll be requiring a new ISP as the internets are free in the building currently housing Lurtz towers.

So what's the best deal? I was going to look at Plusnet but it's £20 a month including line rental with a 60gb cap. Doesn't sound like such a great deal to me. Are there some better deals that TNF land know about?

I am with Virgin Media, there broadband is good and fast, but their phone prices are quite expensive, I pay £34.50 per month for 100mb download (I think I get a loyalty discount as well). It depends on whether you want a performance product or just a general browsing product. If you just need the internet to browse with not much downloading, and you are going to get sky, then you can get their bb free with one of there packages.

BT have just brought out infinity, and I will go with them once my contract runs out as their phone charges are cheaper, although they aren't quite as fast in the broadband download stakes, but they do offer faster upload.

Guest Scaramanga
Look at the broadband availability checker at samknows.com

You ideally want LLU as they give the best deals. Linking your contract in with your mobile phone contract or sky, tends to give the best deals.

However, if there is no LLU plusnet is prob your best and cheapest option

This is sound advice. Check what LLU services are available and choose the cheapest, most reliable, with the best download limit.

Virgin media is also a good shout although pricey.

You'll always hear good and bad about providers but i'd stay away from TalkTalk. And if BT offered me eleventybillion meg fibre and a blowjob free for life i'd still tell them to fuck off. From personal and professional experience.

I'm with O2, only ever had 1 problem in 5-6 years cheap with me phone contract. Can't really complain.

Good luck dude.

Sky have just offered me unlimited broadband with Sky Talk for £19 a month. That sounds decent.

By the way I have no idea what LLU is and I went to samknows.com and all there is is an option to test your broadband speed.

I believe LLU means Local Loop Unbundled or words to that effect. I believe it means that BT do not have total control over the local exchange, so their competitors can install their hardware in these local exchanges and offer a competitivly priced product. If there is no LLU at your local exchange, then the broadband competitor has to go through BT World and it ends up costing you a few more pounds every month.

I'm sure the guys will correct me if there is any mistake in the above!

Sky have just offered me unlimited broadband with Sky Talk for £19 a month. That sounds decent.

By the way I have no idea what LLU is and I went to samknows.com and all there is is an option to test your broadband speed.

Sky's unlimited really is that, no fair use policy or caps.

Guest San Don

I've used a lot of ISP's because my connection and speed are generally shite. But since I changed to BE my speed have been a lot better, up from a shite 4 meg to regular 6.5meg. Still shite but at least its faster shite!

I've used a lot of ISP's because my connection and speed are generally shite. But since I changed to BE my speed have been a lot better, up from a shite 4 meg to regular 6.5meg. Still shite but at least its faster shite!

It's not so shite if you still remember 28.8k

I've gone with Sky. All sounds like a decent deal to me. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...
I used to have 50meg with Virgin before we moved, no in the sticks and miles away from an exchange.

As you say 2meg is actually 'quick' compared to some speeds I'll get.

Exactly the same. Can take seven hours for me to download one of those legal films from those legal websites the ISP's are not trying to shut down.

BT Infinity is good but pricey. Costing me £26 a month for unlimited usage and about 30meg download speeds. The problem with BT is obviously BT themselves. No doubt when I get a problem and have to speak to the incompetant bastards I will soon change my tune

Exactly the same. Can take seven hours for me to download one of those legal films from those legal websites the ISP's are not trying to shut down.

If I want to just watch a you tube clip I have to pause it and let it buffer for 5 minutes before I can watch it start to finish.

I love livivng in the sticks but that is the biggest drawback by a mile.