You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks Gerrard has been the best English player never mind just the best English midfielder for the past decade.

Agreed

Although Ashley Cole's been outstanding too (but it's hard for a defender to get the plaudits, esp when its him too!).

Gerrard though - best English player of his generation. Wasted with England, and to some extent, wasted at Liverpool. Any by that, I mean that he could have fitted into any team in the world and probably have achieved more.

As a player, he deserved to win a lot more than he did. The fact that he stayed with Liverpool is testimony to him. There's not a team in the land who'd not wish to boast such a magnificent player.

Legend.

Agreed

Although Ashley Cole's been outstanding too (but it's hard for a defender to get the plaudits, esp when its him too!).

Gerrard though - best English player of his generation. Wasted with England, and to some extent, wasted at Liverpool. Any by that, I mean that he could have fitted into any team in the world and probably have achieved more.

As a player, he deserved to win a lot more than he did. The fact that he stayed with Liverpool is testimony to him. There's not a team in the land who'd not wish to boast such a magnificent player.

Legend.

Amazingly, some people will give you abuse for this, but you are absolutely correct.

As an example, I just had a quick look on Wikipedia for John O’Shea, and he has 1 European Cup like Stevie, but also has 5 league titles. 5! Wes Brown has 8 league titles and 2 European Cups. There is no doubt that with Gerrards ability, he should have won more also, but many things conspired against him to prevent that.

All in all he’s had a pretty good career and when all’s said and done he’ll have a lot to look back on with pride. It’s just a real shame that at his age it is now virtually certain he’ll never get that league title when such average players like I’ve mentioned above have a bucket full of them.

Scholes is one of the finest players of his generation. Both Xavi and Zidane called him one of the best midfielders ever, and so if you are disagreeing with them, you're probably wrong.

His technical ability was so good that he made things look easy, which often goes under appreciated.

Scholes is one of the finest players of his generation. Both Xavi and Zidane called him one of the best midfielders ever, and so if you are disagreeing with them, you're probably wrong.

His technical ability was so good that he made things look easy, which often goes under appreciated.

Instant cunt identifier when people come out with shit like this. Have you ever spoke to either of these people? You can get great footballers who can be absolutely thick as fuck.

Why can't you or anyone else make their mind up for themselves? Why do you need somebody else's opinion to know whether a player is good or not. I bet you any fucking money most of the people on this website have seen Scholes play a lot more than Xavi or Zidane have. I don't mind people having a different opinion but when you come out with shit like that you should be getting slaughtered.

I bet you any fucking money most of the people on this website have seen Scholes play a lot more than Xavi or Zidane have.

Zidane and Xavi also have the distinct advantage of having shared a pitch with him on multiple occasions. If you are happy to put the opinion of people who have watched MOTD a load of times, over the opinions of two of the greatest midfielders ever, then that's your choice.

I think you are wrong though. Scholes has been a fucking brilliant player, its just a massive shame it was for them

Instant cunt identifier when people come out with shit like this. Have you ever spoke to either of these people? You can get great footballers who can be absolutely thick as fuck.

Why can't you or anyone else make their mind up for themselves? Why do you need somebody else's opinion to know whether a player is good or not. I bet you any fucking money most of the people on this website have seen Scholes play a lot more than Xavi or Zidane have. I don't mind people having a different opinion but when you come out with shit like that you should be getting slaughtered.

I'd be amazed if anyone on this forum thinks they know more about playing footy than Xavi and Zidane. Except for you.

As far as I'm aware, he's held in the very highest regard by players who played against him - and for me, that's a true accolade.

aside from a mate of mine who played against him in a reserve game and told him he'd never make it as a footballer!

Zidane and Xavi also have the distinct advantage of having shared a pitch with him on multiple occasions. If you are happy to put the opinion of people who have watched MOTD a load of times, over the opinions of two of the greatest midfielders ever, then that's your choice.

I think you are wrong though. Scholes has been a fucking brilliant player, its just a massive shame it was for them

Who said anything about putting people's opinions above other?

My problem is with people who can't form an opinion themselves and have to use somebody else's.

I think I am in a good position to judge him as I have watched him play countless times and not just on MOTD since his career began. Why do I need the view of Zidane or Xavi? We've all seen him play. Some think he's brilliant, I don't. Just because Zidane may disagree with me doesn't make it concrete fact.

Who said anything about putting people's opinions above other?

My problem is with people who can't form an opinion themselves and have to use somebody else's.

I think I am in a good position to judge him as I have watched him play countless times and not just on MOTD since his career began. Why do I need the view of Zidane or Xavi? We've all seen him play. Some think he's brilliant, I don't. Just because Zidane may disagree with me doesn't make it concrete fact.

I can see your view there...

I don't think the Mona Lisa's very good. Experience though has taught me that the chances are, I'm probably not able to judge as well as experts.

And, if I were to stare at it for full year, I don't think I'd change my opinion. That's because I know what I think is good and what I don't think is good, but what I'm missing is the knowledge of technique, of the subtlety that's beyond my ability to even see, of the vision he had and I don't....

It's rather like a midfielder who plays a 60 yard pass into nobody....

Half the crowd see him as a hopeless midfielder, the other half see him as light years ahead of the other players who couldn't see the pass was there.

Almost 20 years at one of the world's leading teams - arguably the most successful club in the world during that period, played over 60 times for his country too... surely there's a little niggle in your mind that says "I'm not seeing what's great, but there's a chance Fergie his onions?"

There are no concrete facts about any player's ability really - it's all subjective. However, the circumstantial evidence - like 10 league titles,3 FA cups, 2 league cups and 2 champions league cups might just 'suggest' a certain level of ability don't you think?

And if he was flattered by United, and not quite as good as many reckon, then only makes the rest of the United players even better for carrying a passenger all that time!

I can see your view there...

I don't think the Mona Lisa's very good. Experience though has taught me that the chances are, I'm probably not able to judge as well as experts.

And, if I were to stare at it for full year, I don't think I'd change my opinion. That's because I know what I think is good and what I don't think is good, but what I'm missing is the knowledge of technique, of the subtlety that's beyond my ability to even see, of the vision he had and I don't....

It's rather like a midfielder who plays a 60 yard pass into nobody....

Half the crowd see him as a hopeless midfielder, the other half see him as light years ahead of the other players who couldn't see the pass was there.

Almost 20 years at one of the world's leading teams - arguably the most successful club in the world during that period, played over 60 times for his country too... surely there's a little niggle in your mind that says "I'm not seeing what's great, but there's a chance Fergie his onions?"

There are no concrete facts about any player's ability really - it's all subjective. However, the circumstantial evidence - like 10 league titles,3 FA cups, 2 league cups and 2 champions league cups might just 'suggest' a certain level of ability don't you think?

And if he was flattered by United, and not quite as good as many reckon, then only makes the rest of the United players even better for carrying a passenger all that time!

Have you studied seen thousands of pieces of art though? Have you painted hundreds possibly thousands of pieces of art yourself? It's a pretty stupid analogy. I think art is a crock of shit anyway.

Anyone playing a sixty yard pass to nobody is fucking stupid. You don't just whack balls into spaces you think players should be in even Scholes doesn't do that. Overhitting or underhitting passes can be unlucky and you can see the idea they were trying. For me though Scholes doesn't get pulled up enough for the amount of these he does.

The whole last section of your post is exactly what I am saying. I think he was great in the first half of his career as a goalscoring midfielder. The rest of it he has been carried by the exceptional players United have had around him. He is now made out to be this great midfielder and I don't think he is. I don't think he is anywhere near any of the top centre mids this league has seen nevermind on a worldwide basis or ever.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the praise he gets about his passing game. And in all honesty, if a player his age couldn't hit great passes I'd be more surprised than by someone who can. If he wasn't a great passer he wouldn't be in that team.

yep and his passing is still nowhere near as good as Xabi, Pirlo, De Rossi etc

Agreed

Legend.

Ashley Cole is a totally different player since he went to Chelsea. At Arsenal he was like Alaves or big Glen down the left getting right into the box and now he gets so far and passes it back like he was doing for England all tournament. Hes a totally inhibited player nowadays, I know people will argue he is now 'tactically disciplined' but he's not half the player he was at Arsenal and I dont think he's got better defensively to be totally honest, he's turned into Dennis felching Irwin and I wouldnt put him anywhere near those two players. Consistent yes but in the 2nd half of his career his contributions have stagnated like Nate Dogg on his stag do. I feel let down by this man, who plays like he has the weight of Cheryl Cole's pissflaps on his shoulders, slapping his face in the wind as he tries to get forward, beating him back into his shell until he has to admit to himself that he really is gay and should lay the ball off to the centre mid before retreating back with horrific visions of Simon Cowell swinging his willy, around and around and the echoic laughter penetrating his mind. He is like a man who just puts the tip into a birds muff, merely the helmet while the stem remains dry, if you want to trouble the PFA awards, you've got to get your balls wet, both Gerrard and Schole's balls are slapping the clit.

I must add Im disappointed that this picture has not been quoted yet on this thread, evidence that this site is not what it used to be, its become a middling place where SD is trying to reinvent himself as human and people can defend RAWK and not be lynched by their sphincter until they are inside out, I feel somehow responsible for it, its like when people forgot about Dre but with Dennis Tooth instead:

knob.gif

Get on with it please!