You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gylfi Sigurdsson

marcus50bucks

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some other stuff he said, looks like we defo offered what Swansea offered him, according to what Rodgers said. So it looks like Spurs have got him for around 40-50k.

MostarLFC ‏@MostarLFC

Brendan Rodgers on Sigurdsson "I knew what the market was & I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I agreed to pay before" #LFC

MostarLFC ‏@MostarLFC

Rodgers on new targets "It always takes time when you are #LFC. We got to be patient & hopefully add quality & excitement later on"

Exactly.

Playing for Liverpool should be worth more to you than playing for Swansea. At Liverpool you have extra media attention, extra pressure to win things and you have forums where fans call you a cunt for no apparent reason. I'm not suggesting we break the bank for the lad but a little gesture in his direction wouldn't have gone a miss.

But there is no proof that this wasn't the case!

I think we all agree he should be on more money than Swansea, and he seemed to be perfectly happy with what was agreed with Rodgers prior to his holiday!

That bit in bold read to me that 'people will ignore other factors and just keep saying it was shite' which I thought was you suggesting it wasn't shite, and that there was mitigating circumstances that everyone ignored.

No, I said it was indisputable that the league season was shite. I'm also comfortable in conceding that Kenny made mistakes. My problem is when people justify his sacking whilst blithely ignoring the other contributing factors. We are now a club with a "sack the manager" mentality, and that's fucking stupid.

Dickie: Who is suggesting that Swansea are the yardstick? I could have made a comparison with Barcelona (although it would have been equally as fanciful) and said Lucas fulfils the Busquets role, Gerrard will act as our Xavi and Henderson or somebody else will fill Iniesta's position. I was comparing the tactics not the players but you knew that already....

"Henderson will fill Iniesta's position"

Er...Oh God.....I don't even know how to respond to this.

But there is no proof that this wasn't the case!

I think we all agree he should be on more money than Swansea, and he seemed to be perfectly happy with what was agreed with Rodgers prior to his holiday!

Yes there is. The high lighted bit is as much proof as you will ever get in these situations. I'd be insulted if I was Gylfi and I felt the manager was taking advantage of knowledge not normally available in these situations.

Rodgers outlines Liverpool vision - Liverpool FC

Brendan Rodgers today reflected on the first day of pre-season training and explained how he pitched his football vision to Liverpool's returning squad and his approach to moving the club forward.

The 39-year-old met a selection of players at Melwood for the first time on Wednesday when those who had not been on international duty during the summer returned to begin preparations for 2012-13.

"The last couple of days were really about painting the vision so that people understand what direction we're moving in," Rodgers revealed to Liverpoolfc.com in an exclusive interview at the club's training complex.

"We had a really good meeting with the staff on Tuesday. I just felt it was important from the very first day with the staff they understand how I work, my values and morals on and off the field.

"Then obviously for the players it's about what I can do to help them achieve what it is they want to achieve, and let them understand the principles of how I'm going to work and look at the direction which the club is moving in."

Although Rodgers has already spoken with the likes of skipper Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole and Luis Suarez, the new manager was keen to imprint his beliefs into the players who were in attendance for his first training session.

"They understand where I'm coming from, from day one, which is important," the Northern Irishman continued.

"There's no mystery behind it, they understand the vision and the culture that we're trying to create here. We can now move forward in confidence and look to work hard and work well."

Rodgers was appointed Liverpool boss on June 1, but due to the summer break had to wait until yesterday to begin working with his new players at Melwood.

Now the self-confessed 'lover of football' cannot wait to get started out on the training pitch and is keenly anticipating the chance to analyse the talent at his disposal.

He said: "I've got good awareness of a lot of the players here but you are always surprised when you see people from the outside and then look in. It's only really when you come in to work with them day in, day out you start to understand their character and personality before the technical and tactical aspect.

"That's something I'm really looking forward to because I'm sure there are players here who will surprise me, which is always nice.

"The natural environment is on the green grass, that's where we'll do a lot of our work. Thankfully that will start today and the players can look forward to working well."

Rodgers admitted that some additions may be made to the Reds' squad before the new Barclays Premier League season begins against West Bromwich Albion on August 18, but stressed that any potential signings must 'fit the model'.

"I've got a bunch of wonderful players here," he added. "I'm going to take time to have a look at that. I believe there's one or two areas that I'll need to improve on for sure, but overall the core of the group is strong.

"But like any manager, you want to add the other pieces that can complete your jigsaw and that's something that we're doing over a period of time.

"This window for the summer, you either had to get your business in early or it was going to run over towards the end of the window, just purely because of all the games and holidays and championships and everything that was going on.

"We're doing a lot of work off the field in terms of potential players to come in, but it will only be a certain type of player that will fit the model here at Liverpool."

One player who will not be making his way to Anfield is midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, who featured for Rodgers at Swansea during the second half of last season and completed a move to Tottenham Hotspur earlier this week.

"Gylfi did fantastic for me at Swansea last season," said the boss. "He wasn't playing at Hoffenheim, I brought him to Swansea and he did very well for me there, scored seven goals in 19 games and was very, very good.

"He and I both sat and spoke and believed that playing football was going to be the most important aspect for him. But obviously it was important financially so we agreed a deal for him to go to Swansea and that was wrapped up.

"I then became the Liverpool manager, and that then wasn't something that was going to happen at Swansea. So he then had a choice of where he wanted to go. I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before.

"Liverpool would have provided Gylfi with a wonderful opportunity to perform with a manager that he knows and at a club which is a real footballing institution.

"But he's decided to go to Tottenham, for whatever reason. I wish him the best, he's a good kid and there's no ill feeling. We've got other targets and we'll move on."

Positivity was the overwhelming message being preached by the manager, who offered an insight into how his working day begins and where he finds his inspiration.

Rodgers said: "I find it all very inspiring, from the minute I drive through and walk through the door. You see the little bust of Bill Shankly, you walk in every day and walk past the European Cup.

"It's a great and wonderful motivation for me as a young manager. It gives me great pride. It's an absolute privilege for me to be the manager of this club and I hope to repay the faith of the owners and the people for everything they have given me so far."

No, I said it was indisputable that the league season was shite. I'm also comfortable in conceding that Kenny made mistakes. My problem is when people justify his sacking whilst blithely ignoring the other contributing factors. We are now a club with a "sack the manager" mentality, and that's fucking stupid.

No we are not!

We demand excellence yet accept mediocrity because it was Kenny, which is fine, but you shouldn't be complaining when the owners who are judged on delivering excellence decide it wasn't good enough.

I don't have to justify his sacking to you, I felt it was deserved on his record and his performance because he was Kenny, and yet the only reason I would have given him another season is because he was Kenny. To explain, he wasn't a new manager, he wasn't a young inexperienced manager he was a former manager, living legend who knew the club in and out and didn't need the time to climatise and yet he still spend upwards of £100m on players who offered nothing over the course of a season.

If you add in his tactical errors throughout the season then he didn't do an average job he did a piss poor job.

Now Rodgers is being criticised simply because people can then criticise FSG and their decision to employ him. Big fucking deal, a promising footballer who none of us particularly wanted has decided to join Spurs, this is a sign of mediocrity so what does that say about signing Stewart Downing for £20m?

It was shit last year, Newcastle away was the sign of a manager who was just didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

Yes there is. The high lighted bit is as much proof as you will ever get in these situations. I'd be insulted if I was Gylfi and I felt the manager was taking advantage of knowledge not normally available in these situations.

So why did he agree to sign for us then?

So I guess Rodgers isn't on more money at Liverpool than he was at Swansea.

To be fair, I think that quote about him agreeing terms with regards to signing for Swansea.

Gylfi did fantastic for me at Swansea last season," said the boss. "He wasn't playing at Hoffenheim, I brought him to Swansea and he did very well for me there, scored seven goals in 19 games and was very, very good.

"He and I both sat and spoke and believed that playing football was going to be the most important aspect for him. But obviously it was important financially so we agreed a deal for him to go to Swansea and that was wrapped up.

I think he should have been offered more than what Swansea offered, as a Liverpool player is expected to do more than a Swansea player, but if Rodgers believes that to be his true value and no more, then so be it.

Good to see Rodgers has already embraced the Liverpool way...

I must have missed the bit where he agreed to sign for us.

Well it is the basis of this thread, that he is reported to be close to signing! In fact it is also reported that Tottenham only came in after we had an agreement in place.

This is what he said, when Rogers was appointed;

“It’s just unclear at this moment where I will play,” he told mbl.is. “I’d like to play on with Swansea since I was really happy there but after Brendan Rodgers left the club for Liverpool, that changed the situation.

“I expect not to stay at Swansea because of the uncertainty going on there as it is not clear who is boss. I have said that my desire to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered.

“Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history. English Premier League is the platform that I want to be and hopefully is that I continue to play in that division.”

Are we really going to create this much over the potential over a player that no one heard of up and until a month ago?

That's the only context you need to consider right now.

Is dead right - must be something to do with the weather...........

Fucking hell Whelan. I have no idea why I even bother with this to be fair.

I don't recognise the club or it's fanbase any more.

And that's why I'm out.

What?

You clearly have no interest in what anyone else's opinion is, so fine.

But maybe if you realised what the atmosphere at away matches was then you will realise that it wasn't the sky generation fans who were pissed off last year, old heads were equally pissed.

How has this become an issue at all?

Guy thinks about signing for us because he wants to play for our manager, we offer the same money as a contract he already agreed, with our manager. He goes elsewhere for more money.

How, because we are now being financially prudent (something EVERYONE has been crying for since we offered silly wages for absolute fucking shit in the past) is that now a bad bad bad thing?

Surely, if we said, OK, let us offer you 50% more than you were going to play for at Swansea we would have 1001 posts saying "Well, its all well and good, but its yet another example of this club not standing its ground and people take the piss out of us financially."

You can't have it both ways, you can't hold your principles and stand your ground financially AND pay a player a 50% markup on what he already agreed previously.

No we are not!

We demand excellence yet accept mediocrity because it was Kenny, which is fine, but you shouldn't be complaining when the owners who are judged on delivering excellence decide it wasn't good enough.

I don't have to justify his sacking to you, I felt it was deserved on his record and his performance because he was Kenny, and yet the only reason I would have given him another season is because he was Kenny. To explain, he wasn't a new manager, he wasn't a young inexperienced manager he was a former manager, living legend who knew the club in and out and didn't need the time to climatise and yet he still spend upwards of £100m on players who offered nothing over the course of a season.

If you add in his tactical errors throughout the season then he didn't do an average job he did a piss poor job.

Now Rodgers is being criticised simply because people can then criticise FSG and their decision to employ him. Big fucking deal, a promising footballer who none of us particularly wanted has decided to join Spurs, this is a sign of mediocrity so what does that say about signing Stewart Downing for £20m?

It was shit last year, Newcastle away was the sign of a manager who was just didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

If we demand excellence why was Rodgers appointed ahead of three European Cup winning managers who would all have come given the conditions imposed upon the club by Rodgers?

You are not seriously telling me that he is better than Benitez, Capello or Van Gaal?

Is he even better than Dalglish?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If we demand excellence why was Rodgers appointed ahead of three European Cup winning managers who would all have come given the conditions imposed upon the club by Rodgers?

You are not seriously telling me that he is better than Benitez, Capello or Van Gaal?

Is he even better than Dalglish?

He's potential.

I actually don't care enough about you or respect you enough to give a flying fuck about your baseless nonsense.

Why do you keep responding to me? Why for the most part do you try and initiate some sort of discussion with me? Ignorant of the constructive points i make you'd rather continue down this line of tedium. This isn't the behaviour of an intelligent person.

It's all well documented, just a quick skim through our post histories and bingo.

I've got a quote for you just to end this wonderful exchange we've had.

It's from a comedian and sums you up perfectly -

'Laughing through bared teeth, completely missing the point like the dog you are.'

Au revoir.