You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers, a statistical overview of Swansea 11/12.

Code

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no need for that. Code had said he wasn't interpreting the stats as he didn't have time in the op, do I've no idea why you choose to jump down his throat. Actually we all know why, but code brings more to the site than you do, so why not cut out the bile and the abuse?

There are plenty of others on here who bring half brained analysis of stats when in suits them. Have a go at them, because most of them know fuck all about football.

Once you've pulled your cock out of his arse go and have a look at the latest attention seeking 'contribution' in the Hodgson thread , the bloke needs to be reminded what a massive cunt he is.

i posted last night, trying to explain how statistics cannot be used properly in football, i used to be a professional statistician, but got shot down in flames because i spelt the word 'quantifiable' incorrectly due to typing too fast and being pissed!

anyways , i was trying to explain the fact that when tring to draw up a statistical model on whether a player should be purchased or not, there are, quantifiable metrics such average distance covered in a game, and non-quantifiable metrics such as the managers instructions i.e a player with a great engine is told to sit deep, hence his stats will never reflect his true ability to cover the ground, so if there is one non-quantifiable variable that can influence the statistical model, all the the quantifiable metrics are useless, basical a-level and above statistical theory.

A classic example would be ya-ya-toure, the best attackng player in the league when playing just behind the striker. When he was at barca, he was told by his manager to sit deep, ( non-quantifiable varaiable), so if you judged yay-ya on his stats at barca, you would say he would be one of the worst players in the world to put in the 'gerrard behind torres' role, when in fact he is the best, a classical example of how non-statisticians using statistics to mae a judgement call get it wrong.

Interpreting stats correctly requires a trained mind in the discipline, below is a like to an example an example on how non-statisticians get the call wrong every time when though the standard throught process leads you to believe you are correct. I only post this because i see so many on here putting there faith in stats when they really truely dont understand

i posted last night, trying to explain how statistics cannot be used properly in football, i used to be a professional statistician, but got shot down in flames because i spelt the word 'quantifiable' incorrectly due to typing too fast and being pissed!

anyways , i was trying to explain the fact that when tring to draw up a statistical model on whether a player should be purchased or not, there are, quantifiable metrics such average distance covered in a game, and non-quantifiable metrics such as the managers instructions i.e a player with a great engine is told to sit deep, hence his stats will never reflect his true ability to cover the ground, so if there is one non-quantifiable variable that can influence the statistical model, all the the quantifiable metrics are useless, basical a-level and above statistical theory.

A classic example would be ya-ya-toure, the best attackng player in the league when playing just behind the striker. When he was at barca, he was told by his manager to sit deep, ( non-quantifiable varaiable), so if you judged yay-ya on his stats at barca, you would say he would be one of the worst players in the world to put in the 'gerrard behind torres' role, when in fact he is the best, a classical example of how non-statisticians using statistics to mae a judgement call get it wrong.

Interpreting stats correctly requires a trained mind in the discipline, google the 'monty hall problem' to get an idea on how non-statisticians get the call wrong every time when though the standard throught process leads you to believe you are correct. I only post this because i see so many on here putting there faith in stats when they really truely dont understand

Not sure if its been posted before as i have only skimmed through the threads but i do like some of these comments from Rodgers

"This is a club that is historic for the identity, style and DNA of its football," he said. "They are an educated group of supporters at this club and, OK, there might be watered down versions of the style of play, but you can't come to Liverpool Football Club and play a direct game of football, lumping-it style. It is going to take a bit of time. That's the reality of it. It is going to take a lot of hard work to play that way. It took a lot of hard work to get that at Swansea, to get the tactical structure of the team and the possession and the position. It took a lot of hard work on the training field. That is why I am here."

"I think every player will tell you they would love to play the way we did at Swansea," he said. "The question is, does every player want to work that hard to play that way? It is hard work. For me, a lot of our game is based on pressing. Our game at Swansea was talked about a lot and lauded in relation to the football. What people didn't recognise is that to have the ball for 65%-70% of the game you have to get it back very, very quickly. So our transition in the game and positioning on the field to get the ball back became very good and that allowed us to beat Manchester City, to beat Arsenal, should have beaten Chelsea and to beat Liverpool. Big players want to play football. It's the other side of the game that will be the important factor."

He added: "My idea is to win the ball higher up the field so you are pressing higher and you are in better positions. You win the ball higher up the pitch so you are closer to goal, and when you do that you need people with good skills. If you win it and you can't attack, you recycle the ball and you then go and play. I don't think it's a case of the players here working any harder because this is a demand anyway, it's an obligation. For me it's not a choice. Do you come in every day and do you work hard or not? No, that's the obligation. It's the tactic that the manager gives to that which determines how hard you work, how hard you press and what your identity is as a team."

I'm a bit of a secret stat fan, so i kinda like these threads, but the last couple of seasons have really highlighted how misleading they can be.

There have been games where, on paper, it looks like we've been unlucky not to score, having a huge amount of shots on target. But at the match you never got the feeling we were going to score because they were all long range fodder for the keeper or blocked twenty yards before they got to him.

I still think possession and passing accuracy tell you a lot, particularly when broken down into areas of the pitch, but the only stats that really count are the scoreline and points tally.

• 4 months later...
As you knowthe stats, what is the percentage that Barcelona has possession in their own half? Serious question, I'd reckon 2:1 in own half against attacking third, but I have no clue, really, just a gut feeling. There should be stats somewhere about this.

From this season so far.

Defensive: 20%

Middle: 46%

Attacking: 34%