You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?

How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?  

373 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?

• I'm very happy, great appointment.
    • I'm reasonably happy and quite excited.
    • I'm reserving judgement, a massive risk by the club.
    • I'm far from happy, there are better qualified managers available.
    • I'm fuming, this guy is a complete novice.

Reserving judgement. Think it's a big risk from the owners as if it goes badly they will get a lot of criticism for giving it to a relatively unproven manager. I like some of the things I've been reading about him though and I think there's more to him than some of the numerous other young managers in England who have done well for a season or two and then been found out. Prefer him over Martinez but he wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of my list. Hopefully in a few years we'll all be praising the owners for making such a clever appointment.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we show only a slight improvement from last season and finish in fifth place, I doubt that our top players will be keen on going another season without champions league football. We have to show some ambition, you seem to be implying that you will be content if we finish fifth.

I wouldn't say content to finish fifth, but equally i dont think we are good enough at present for CL football, but i think progress were you can see visible improvement that would give hope to better campaigns in the next 2-3 seasons is a must.

I don't think we'll start the coming campaign like a house on fire, i think there are too many mental scars from the previous campaign that need to be addressed and banished before we start seeing improvement and progression with hope for the future.

Don't forget we finished the season like a mid table side, not a side unlucky to finish outside the CL places.

Guest davelfc
Oh God no You never been to Ballymena!!! feckin awful place. Dont get me wrong Carnlough a lovely place but Brendan should have stayed there and tended sheep one way or another!!!:eek:

I spent two years in Northern Ireland.

Has anyone yet entertained the idea that some player(s) may follow Rodgers from Swansea? You see it a lot where players follow a manager, whom they obviously believe gets the best out of them.

Do any players that Rodgers backed or signed in the last couple of seasons fit the bill? There's a couple of handy types there like.

We have all seen this before in managers new to the Prem. Praised to the high heavens by the good and the great for sticking to their principles of entertaining football etc etc. Most last a year or two and disappear.

Why?

Because they are one dimensional? Do they only have a Plan A? Do they lack the experience to develop their teams? Do they just lack the financial resources to build on their teams? Are they just too inexperienced to handle bigger players (and their egos)?

I don't know the answers to any of the above but will be pleasantly surprised if Rodgers has the answer to all of them. Sadly, I think Hodgson had more of the answers.

I honestly wish him well and will support him with all my heart - but deep down I don't believe that he is going to be anywhere near to what we need.

Guest davelfc
23 months and two weeks too long in any ones books. Bet you wished you came over on a day trip saw the Giants Causeway and went home again!!!

Loved it, every bit of it. Best posting I ever had. The day after I arrived the Enniskillen bomb went off and it just got madder from then on.

I wouldn't say content to finish fifth, but equally i dont think we are good enough at present for CL football, but i think progress were you can see visible improvement that would give hope to better campaigns in the next 2-3 seasons is a must.

I don't think we'll start the coming campaign like a house on fire, i think there are too many mental scars from the previous campaign that need to be addressed and banished before we start seeing improvement and progression with hope for the future.

Don't forget we finished the season like a mid table side, not a side unlucky to finish outside the CL places.

Arsenal are shite and they finished third. Newcastle are total shite and they nearly finished fourth. Anything less than fourth will be a failure no matter who the manager is. If we're gonna start saying that rodgers is young and needs time to adapt etc, then that will just confirm many peoples fears that he should not be getting the job. If hes not up to the task of making liverpool better than newcastle then he is not the right man.

Aside from what I just mentioned; Kenny Daglish, Rafael Benitez, Louis Van Gaal and Andres Villas Boas are all vastly superior managers to Brendan Rogers with genuine credentials. There are no conceivable football grounds on which he is a better appointment than those men.

That suggests football results simply wasn't the main priority.

Benitez and LVG - sure, but there are other reasons not to get those on board. I see him as similar to AVB, while I think he's a manager better suited to us than KK anno 2012. If we're thinking of building something that will last for a while, I think he's a good choice (wouldn't have minded AVB nor Martinez either). I think he has a certain presence, and on current evidence his side(s) like to play attractive football - therefore I understand why FSG like him.

There's absolutely no guarantee it'll be a success, but I'm 100% certain FSG have done this because they think it's the best way to be successful, not because it's cost-cutting!

Arsenal are shite and they finished third. Newcastle are total shite and they nearly finished fourth. Anything less than fourth will be a failure no matter who the manager is. If we're gonna start saying that rodgers is young and needs time to adapt etc, then that will just confirm many peoples fears that he should not be getting the job. If hes not up to the task of making liverpool better than newcastle then he is not the right man.

As shite as they appear to be, they didn't finish the season looking as shite as we did.

Dead right CL is the minimum requirement, but im not going call for his head if it doesn't happen next year. I'd prefer to see us go in a forward direction not the backward direction we've been going sinse the rot set in at the end of 09/10. and if a forward direction is 7th 6th or 5th next year i couldn't give a monkeys cause the way i see it is that we are more in danger of falling backwards rather than falling forwards.

There was nothing good about the back end of last season, it was horrific!!! and the failing of last season will need to be addressed by the incoming manager

Im going for a more realistic view on the coming season, and a season not going backwards would be a season of positive progression for me.

Brave decision, time will tell whether it's foolhardy? He seems to have progressive ideas and an impressive performance during his first season in the Premiership.

As many have pointed out there is a long list of flash in the pan managers who have appeared impressive during their initial premiership tenure. I do wonder if it might have been wiser to take a longer view, leave Kenny in place for another season and see how Rodgers progressed at Swansea? We could have even laid the groundwork for a potential succession.

I strangely still feel fairly positive about the appointment, expectations are low realistically and hell we've tried everything else over the last 22 years to try to get back to our former glory, appointed a legend, former player, member of the boot room, European talent and apart from brief moments we've not been able to re-establish ourselves.

I also hope that FSG back him effectively financially, irrespective of how talented he is he is going to require consistent and in truth decent levels of funding. I also hope this isn't a case of getting someone in that FSG expect to produce on a shoestring budget.

Arsenal and Man U are generating £60m a season more than us in gate revenues. Chelsea, European Champions have a billionaire who enjoys the game bankrolling them and wants to win on the field, not off it ( he has done that), Man City, League Champions have a billionaire who enjoys the game and is in it for prestige.

So how would anything less than fourth be a failure for a man who has inherited a team that finished equal 8th/9th?

At Everton, Brendan is up against a vastly experienced PL manager, ditto at Spurs with the plus of a very canny and hands on owner, Newcastle, we should be able to overhaul next season.

It’s going to be tough.

I voted for I'm far from happy, the only other manager I wanted in over Kenny has been unfairly over looked and would of took the job back in a heart beat if it wasn't for the owners un proven management structure.

I'm growing more and more dis interested with football by the season, after fighting so hard to get rid of the last owners this is the rewards?? City and Chelsea have just won the league and European cup we're being run like a baseball club, mid table and seem to be doing everything on the cheap!

Guest TK-421

I think he's got his work cut out to get more points than we did last season.

With a rumoured meagre transfer budget and requirement to lower the wage bill it will be difficult to break into the present top six. Chelsea and arsenal look certain to resume their positions in the top four after spurs briefly threatened. I foresee the top four as being mancs X2, Chelsea and arse for a few seasons at least. Man city have taken our place and i don't see how we can get back in. We're locked out and i doubt that Rodgers has the power to remedy the situation.

That's how i feel about our future.

A huge leap into the unkown. But it could go either way (not unlike any managerial appointment): we will be successful under his leaderhip and given his young age will become one Liverpool legend. Or we could flop and Rogers is shown the door sooner than we think. What is promising though, being an astute student of the passing game, he likes to play the Liverpoolway and that for sure is something we fans are going to enjoy.

With a rumoured meagre transfer budget and requirement to lower the wage bill it will be difficult to break into the present top six. Chelsea and arsenal look certain to resume their positions in the top four after spurs briefly threatened. I foresee the top four as being mancs X2, Chelsea and arse for a few seasons at least. Man city have taken our place and i don't see how we can get back in. We're locked out and i doubt that Rodgers has the power to remedy the situation.

We finished above arsenal pretty consistently when rafa was in charge.

The managers he will/potentially face next season:

fergie -

15 League Titles (3 Aberdeen, 12 mancs)

9 SFA/FA Cups (4 Aberdeen, 5 mancs)

5 Scottish/English League Cups (1 Aberdeen, 4 mancs)

2 UEFA Cup Winners Cups (1 Aberdeen, 1 mancs)

2 UEFA Champions League Titles (2 mancs)

Arsene Wenger -

5 League Titles (1 Monaco, 1 Nagoya Grampus, 3 Arsenal)

6 French/Japanese/English FA Cups (1 Monaco, 1 Nagoya Grampus, 4 Arsenal)

Roberto Mancini -

4 League Titles ( 3 Inter Milan, 1 Man City)

5 Italian/English FA Cups (1 Fiorentina, 1 Lazio, 2 Inter Milan, 1 Man City)

Pep Guardiola (Potentially to Chelshit) -

3 League Titles (3 Barcelona)

2 Spanish FA Cups (2 Barcelona)

2 UEFA Champions League Titles (2 Barcelona)

The 3 managers that we had a real good chance of bringing in:

Rafa Benitez -

2 League Titles (2 Valencia)

1 UEFA Cup (1 Valencia)

1 UEFA Champions League (1 Liverpool)

1 English FA Cup (1 Liverpool)

Louis van Gaal -

7 League Titles (3 Ajax, 2 Barcelona, 1 AZ Alkmaar, 1 Bayern Munich)

3 Dutch/Spanish/German FA Cups (1 Ajax, 1 Barcelona, 1 Bayern Munich)

1 UEFA Cup (1 Ajax)

1 Champions League Title (1 Ajax)

André Villas-Boas -

1 League Title (1 Porto)

1 Portuguese FA Cup (1 Porto)

As I haven't included achievements such as Champions League Runner Up/Premiership Runner Up or the 40 or so "lesser" titles won by the above like Super Cups, World Club Championships and so on I give you -

Brendan Rodgers - Won Sweet Fuck All.

While everyone else has silverware hanging out their arse, we have a bloke with a philosophy. You'd swear he was the only cunt in the game with a fucking "philosophy". Either FSG have a crystal ball and can see into the future or they are just another a bunch of crack heads. Not only are we going to bring in a guy with very little top level experience and pit him against the likes of fergie, Mancini and Chelshits Director of Football Abramovic (all of which have vastly superior resources) but we are going to pay upwards of £5m to do it!!

This just beggars belief. Our team should resemble something of a Liverpool B team by the time the new season kicks off l reckon. H&G lowered expectations, FSG are wiping them out altogether. l'll be amazed if he sees out the season.

So the fact that in previous years, RVP could barely manage a run of games Agger would be proud of, has a good run with injury, then scored goals that added a stupid 14 or 15 points to their season tally = dead certs for top 4?

I agree with the rest, although the transfer budget in the past couple of seasons has been bogged down with a lot of deadwood carrying/shifting, something that will hopefully not be such an issue this time around.

I'm glad we have someone so we can concentrate of transfers. I'm quite excited to see how Rodgers goes and can't understand the hysterical pessimism some are showing. Sure, there is a chance he may fail, but how about saving your whining until then, instead of bitching about it like a little girl now who didn't get the pony she wanted for Christmas. I swear to God, some of you will be itching to go ballistic the second we concede our first goal, let alone lose a fucking game.

Best supporters in the world. Not on fucking here.

Arsenal and Man U are generating £60m a season more than us in gate revenues. Chelsea, European Champions have a billionaire who enjoys the game bankrolling them and wants to win on the field, not off it ( he has done that), Man City, League Champions have a billionaire who enjoys the game and is in it for prestige.

So how would anything less than fourth be a failure for a man who has inherited a team that finished equal 8th/9th?

At Everton, Brendan is up against a vastly experienced PL manager, ditto at Spurs with the plus of a very canny and hands on owner, Newcastle, we should be able to overhaul next season.

It’s going to be tough.

Err... Everton's quality has dwindled year, after year, after year... They'll likely lose Baines soon, as well.

I'm not optimistic. My guess is, he'll be out by Jan, or end of the season.

However, I am hoping I am wrong. Maybe he can make use of our ball players like Aquilani, Cole, Maxi etc all the players I hoped Dalglish would have used to play a pass and move style and be pretty comfortable in the top 4.

We shall see.