You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our worst signings

No2

Following on from the "Director of Football" discussions, who would your worst pound for pound XI be? Which players would a DOF have saved us from without the benefit of hindsight but by just opening his fucking eyes? The reason I mention hindsight is because likes Robbie Keane, Harry Kewel or Fernando Morientes would be considered flops but a fair amount of people would have been optimistic about their arrival at the time.

GK:Kirkland - why buy 2 keepers in 1 day:dunno:

RB: Degen - an injury record that told us he would be injured all the time. Invented the phrase you get nothing for nothing.

CB Struggling with centre backs Ruddock

CB Dicks - because I'm struggling for numbers here

LB: Konchesky- Only behind Poulsen as the most blatantly bad signing

RW:

CM: Poulsen - Captain. You will do well to find 1 person other than Woy who agreed with this.

CM: Aquilani - Regardless of whether you rate him or not, like Degen he is built of wet cardboard and we knew it advance

LW: Aurelio (2nd time round) - See Degen only worse

CF: Collymore - Abandoning the hindsight rule for this prick.

CF: Babel - Abandoning the hindsight rule for this prick

The left wing slot belongs to Downing.

Erm, Jimmy Carter, Bernard Diomede!

I can't see beyond Sean Dundee, Istvan Kosthma, Eric Meijer (madness aside), Bruno Ferri, Philip Degen, Nicky Tanner, and my own personal favourite Julian Dick

Collymore is definitely not amongst our worse signings and neither is Ryan Babel. They both did alright compared to some of the dross we have signed over the years. There are plenty of players who we've signed that are pound for pound worse.

Diouf was fuckiing awful and was an absolute gobshite. I genuinely don't know how Salif Diao became a footballer.

We went through a stage with Houllier where we spent loads of money but on loads of players for about 4m-10m who were mostly mediocre when we would have been better pooling the money and signing one or two actually good players.

I just can't get my head around the degen signing, I see no logic to him ever being a footballer, bought for the sake of it or for some scout to get a bonus. I'd like the police to investigate the deal, even kuyt openly mocked degens ability with the ball. The boy is a millionaire footballer it fucking disgust me.

Paul Stewart has to be in there somewhere.

Struggling for Centre Halves??? Kvarme, Piechnik, Pelligrini, Tanner, that young Argentinian Rafa signed...

I'm not struggling to find shite centre halves, all of the above were bargain basement signings with no little or no expectations, hardly massive wastes of money. With the exception of Pelligrino nobody on here would ever had heard of any of them before we signed them.

I'm not struggling to find shite centre halves, all of the above were bargain basement signings with no little or no expectations, hardly massive wastes of money. With the exception of Pelligrino nobody on here would ever had heard of any of them before we signed them.

Point taken - still stand by Torben though. Had "starred" for Denmark in the Euro's but fuck me he was awful.

Recently Aquilani, Keane, Konchesky, Poulsen, Cole & Degan - c.£50m in transfer fees and god knows how much on wages for absolutley fuck all back.

I'll give Kenny's signings another season or so to prove themselves but Downing is certainly looking like he could make that list.

Thinking back to Houllier - Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou. All those players were utter fucking garbage and cost c.£20m. Blackburn wanted that amount of money for Damien Duff and we were screaming out for a left winger. I think if we'd have signed Duff that summer instead of these 3 ass clowns, we might have won the league that season.

Downing is no where near it and if you think he is then you're lucky you didnt see some of the other shite

Luzi would be in goal, Diomede would be on the left, Ferri, Diao, Diouff, Cheyrou defo

Walters was pretty shit, Ruddock sould be included, Stewart, Kozma, Piecknik, Meijer, Dundee

we wonder why we've been shite for years eh?!

Frank Mcgarvey paid £300000 for him which was a big fee at the time,never played a game for us and sold back the following season.

Dossena has to be in there couldnt defend at all and at £7 million wasnt cheap either.

Jovanovic was a freebie on mega money and was crap.

Babel at £11.5 million who was known at Ajax for his attitude and all though had loads of talent,showed his seeming lack of interest in the game before we signed him.

Keane at £19 million wasnt really given a chance but the price he cost us was astounding.

Degen erm erm Swiss.

Joe Cole enough said.

Downing erm he is English.

Numerous French players from Geds time in charge.

Fat Harry K forever injured unless a Australia game was to be played.

Dicks and Ruddock also Poulsen and Diouf.

Paletta and Babb.

Downing is no where near it and if you think he is then you're lucky you didnt see some of the other shite

If he manages his stats of 0 goals and 0 assists in the league again next season, I'd suggest would be.