You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We Will Definitely Fail Next Season

Guest TK-421

When Lyon won the league 7 years in a row, they massively outspent their rivals to do so. You will now see that PSG will start to win ligue 1 every year. The quality of that league is very poor, it does not take man city levels of spending to be the big spenders. Where are Lyon now someone with more many is on the scene?

The difference between Lyon and PSG is huge. There is nothing wrong with reinvesting your own hard earned money in the club. Lyon were a piss poor provinsial club 25 years ago in an area where the football intrest were moderate, at best. They built stone by stone by being better than others, both in developing players and operating in the market, making huge profits. That they eventually decided to reinvest some of that money is only natural for a football club, yes?

Paris SG is basically spending due to some arab cunt finding oil in his backyard. Major difference.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between Lyon and PSG is huge. There is nothing wrong with reinvesting your own hard earned money in the club. Lyon were a piss poor provinsial club 25 years ago in an area where the football intrest were moderate, at best. They built stone by stone by being better than others, both in developing players and operating in the market, making huge profits. That they eventually decided to reinvest some of that money is only natural for a football club, yes?

Paris SG is basically spending due to some arab cunt finding oil in his backyard. Major difference.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. You are arguing with me yet have failed to grasp the very simple point I am making, and you are now raisng points that have absolutley nothing to do with what I said.

Please read this next bit carefully and try to take it on board. When Lyon were winning the league every year, they spent far more money on players than any of their rivals. This is an absolute fact. I have never compared Lyon to PSG, I have not made any comment about how Lyon got their money, I couldn't care less. When Lyon were winning the league, they were spending far more money on players than any other team in France. Again, this is a fact.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. You are arguing with me yet have failed to grasp the very simple point I am making, and you are now raisng points that have absolutley nothing to do with what I said.

Please read this next bit carefully and try to take it on board. When Lyon were winning the league every year, they spent far more money on players than any of their rivals. This is an absolute fact. I have never compared Lyon to PSG, I have not made any comment about how Lyon got their money, I couldn't care less. When Lyon were winning the league, they were spending far more money on players than any other team in France. Again, this is a fact.

He has taken it to the next level, analytical thinking. Read this next bit carefully, we can only learn from one of those teams. Fact.

Considering Liverpool Football Club hasn't won the league for 22 years, I would've thought fans were more open to radical change in the structure of the club...

I think this is as valid a post as there is on here.

Well in Milan . Have you got your book yet?

Sigh. Reading Rodger's record, it looks like we'll be in the midst of a relegation battle in Jan before MAYBE starting to play good football

By then, say bye bye to Suarez and Reina at the very least, the two assets still able to draw a large transfer.

Sigh. Reading Rodger's record, it looks like we'll be in the midst of a relegation battle in Jan before MAYBE starting to play good football.By then, say bye bye to Suarez and Reina at the very least, the two assets still able to draw a large transfer.

It's impossible to judge what Rodgers will do - but he stands a chance.

Improving on last years lamentable league performance will not be difficult.

Frankly, Suarez and Reina were not going to hang around a club that had finished joint 8th/9th and only qualified for the EL by winning the League Cup for too long anyway.

Maybe Kenny would have turned it around, maybe he wouldn't. But Rodgers will certainly be injecting a level of enthusism, and professionalism, which had deserted our league campaign.

Sigh. Reading Rodger's record, it looks like we'll be in the midst of a relegation battle in Jan before MAYBE starting to play good football

By then, say bye bye to Suarez and Reina at the very least, the two assets still able to draw a large transfer.

This obsession with holding on to individual star players must stop if we're ever to move forward as a club.

Don't like the appointment, but we have to support him, depends a lot on the yanks now. How much net spend will they allow Rodgers to have, cause we need a bit if their minimum requirement remains the same as last season.

He should be given time, but if the lad gets of to a shit start he won't be by the support, think that much is apparent. Galling, I can't think anything other than how insular and strong we used to be as a club whether successful or not. Then how we were almost destroyed, and are now left so fragmented.

The latter pretty much all stem from the actions of one greedy bastard - David Moores. Don't think there'll ever be any statues erected to that cunt in town.

We've never won the F.A. premier League. The odds are clearly stacked in Fergie's favour, as Utd have won it 12 times in 20 yrs. Don't ask me how he does it, but with all that debt, maybe a large proportion of the money disappeared into referees back pockets.

Clearly we need to do something different.

Time will tell if what we are seeing right now, turns out to be a move towards our history of success.

We've never won the F.A. premier League. The odds are clearly stacked in Fergie's favour, as Utd have won it 12 times in 20 yrs. Don't ask me how he does it, but with all that debt, maybe a large proportion of the money disappeared into referees back pockets.

Clearly we need to do something different.

Time will tell if what we are seeing right now, turns out to be a move towards our history of success.

What is failure these days, though? Plenty on here accuse Rafa of failure because he didn't win us the league, refusing to realize just how big a part G&H played in that.

The same people aren't even mentioning the title these days. I wonder why? One thing is for sure, it will be a long time waiting until we're in a European Cup final again.

Sacking Rafa didn't help us at all, it made things worse. We are now established outside the top four, and FSG think Rodgers is the man to correct that.

you can get an idea of how good a manager is gonna be by watching what role he gives gerrard (assuming gerrard is fit)

if he gives him anything other than a free role, he will fail.

Hodgson and Dalglish both bought into this myth that Gerrard is a central midfielder and while he was injured for long periods when he did play he was by and large ineffective.

I hope and pray that BR sees Gerrard's best role as playing off the striker with two other midfielders behind him.

I just think in the absence of substantial funds we'd be better off going with an orthodox manager with a proven track record.

For me this is by far the best argument for trying another setup than the rest: If we do what the others do but with fewer ressources, we are sure to come up short.

I know it gets peddled way too much these days, but that is the essential logic behind the whole Moneyball thing, how to compete with better funded outfits by identifying more intelligent ways of doing your business.

Guest TK-421
For me this is by far the best argument for trying another setup than the rest: If we do what the others do but with fewer ressources, we are sure to come up short.

I know it gets peddled way too much these days, but that is the essential logic behind the whole Moneyball thing, how to compete with better funded outfits by identifying more intelligent ways of doing your business.

I had big doubts over Martinez and Rodgers. Less so over Rodgers but I still have serious reservations that he's the man to drag us out of the doldrums in the league.

He might come close to challenging the top 4 but will he break Liverpool in to it? Surely not next season, and doubtful after that.

Failure for me next season would be not winning anything and not getting in the top 4, so we'll see what happens. Hope I'm wrong and you can all bump this thread to fuckery and call me TK-Tit.

Getting into the top 6 would earn Rodgers another year, if not the pressure would be on I reckon. I wouldn't call top 6 failure but it would still be disappointing and not really what we're after.

It's hard to define failure but I agree with Robbie Fowler and think we're in for a turbulent year.

• 11 months later...

Bump.

The bad news is I was right (well duh!). The season is largely a write-off.

The better news is that I've changed my mind from "definitely" to "probably". The cause of this renewed optimism? A general sense of faith in Rodgers' talent and methods. Why the caution? Squad restructuring issues. I fear Suarez will leave and the defence looks like it will need rebuilding, at least as far as the CBs are concerned. Finally, I doubt FSG will be prepared to spend the required amount for us to have a much better chance of breaking the top 4.

Bump.

The bad news is I was right (well duh!). The season is largely a write-off.

The better news is that I've changed my mind from "definitely" to "probably". The cause of this renewed optimism? A general sense of faith in Rodgers' talent and methods. Why the caution? Squad restructuring issues. I fear Suarez will leave and the defence looks like it will need rebuilding, at least as far as the CBs are concerned. Finally, I doubt FSG will be prepared to spend the required amount for us to have a much better chance of breaking the top 4.

If Suarez decides to leave at least we can point to one transfer window and look forward to the reinvestment with optimism. At least one can hope it wasn't a fluke, and we'll get a lot for him - £40m at least.

The CBs doesn't concern me. If you look at Skrtel who was horrible before Rodgers came to his senses and Agger who's had a mediocre season I think it should be possible to improve the defence quite easily. Carra will be a miss, but let's face it - we should be able to replace him, he's not exactly at his peak even though he's been solid since he came in.

I don't share your concerns regarding FSG. They've shown that they're willing to (re)invest.

In sum: Very optimistic!

We really need to get the centre of defence right. That is crucial if we are to have a good season in 2013/14.

My main reason for being optimistic is more that four of the six league clubs above us are changing manager in the summer.

I'm not a huge fan of Rodgers, I never have been. He is starting to win me round though. He needs to hit the ground running next season though. From the top seven teams, only Wenger will have been in a job longer than Rodgers and I'm hopeful that Spurs might implode if they miss out on Champions League football.

I don't even think we need to spend huge amounts of money. If we cash in on Skrtel and Carroll and bring in two good centre backs, a powerful midfield player and possibly another wide player then we could have a really good year. Obviously much depends on keeping Suarez and Reina, particularly Suarez.

If Suarez decides to leave at least we can point to one transfer window and look forward to the reinvestment with optimism. At least one can hope it wasn't a fluke, and we'll get a lot for him - £40m at least.

The CBs doesn't concern me. If you look at Skrtel who was horrible before Rodgers came to his senses and Agger who's had a mediocre season I think it should be possible to improve the defence quite easily. Carra will be a miss, but let's face it - we should be able to replace him, he's not exactly at his peak even though he's been solid since he came in.

I don't share your concerns regarding FSG. They've shown that they're willing to (re)invest.

In sum: Very optimistic!

I agree with you to an extent on Suarez. It's comforting to know we'll get good money if he leaves to give us the opportunity to replace him. But it still has to be spent well, so if he did leave it would be a bit of a unknown. We've already drawn a blank against Everton without him.

As regards the CBs, again it's an unknown in my opinion. See what happens in the summer. I don't necessarily agree that the defence will easily be improved because the defenders we had were setting clean sheets records in seasons gone by. So is it a personnel thing, or related to our style of play? The jury is out on this defensive conundrum, in my opinion.

What I mean with FSG is they're unlikely to go the extra mile, spend big on transfers and wages to give the manager and squad a real push at top 4. They're just trying to chance it with a manager who has sold them an idea. I have no real problem with that in principle, so long as it yields results on the pitch. First season was encouraging. Now for the difficult second.

So is it a personnel thing, or related to our style of play? The jury is out on this defensive conundrum, in my opinion.

It's a bit of both, they're the same problem. The players don't necessarily fit the system, but the ones he signs will have to. So, both questions should be answered by the players we sign in the summer. Hopefully anyway. He's bought some decent attacking players, we need to see his chosen defence.