You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm no expert but if I was someone who does the contracts, I'd expect something in there about the player maintaining a high level of fitness. As awesome and cool as smoking is, it is not closely linked with attaining peak physical fitness and so I'm surprised clubs put up with it.

I can understand clubs not wanting to unsettle their major players with clauses like that but christ, I think I'd be going through Joe Cole's contract with a fine-toothed comb to try and find some way to get him booted out of it.

I find the stick he gets on here way over the top, he was really shit in his first season but that was under Roy Hodgson who even managed to make Stevie and Torres look shit and obviously giving him 100k a week was a mistake but not many would've turned it down, he comes across as a decent bloke and always gives his all when he plays, can understand people wanting him to leave due to his wages/lack of fitness/injuries but don't think he deserves the insults he get, not like he'll read em mind

Brendan clearly rates him and he knows what he is doing from what I've seen so far despite the results being shit I think this seasons a right off and we'll come good in time, as for Cole himself talent doesn't just disappear and fitness can be sorted, I actually thought he did alright against Stoke and was one of the few who looked like creating anything of substance

• 4 months later...

Well, the feeling is mutual you little lazy, money grabbing shithouse.

"Joe Cole has admitted he was wrong to join Liverpool because of his lack of passion for the club, but could also not have joined Tottenham.

Cole returned to West Ham for a second spell in January, after two-and-a-half forgettable years at Anfield.

He concedes that he made a mistake in heading for Merseyside as a free agent in 2010, after seeing his contract run down at Chelsea.

Cole says he never adapted to life at Liverpool, but claims he was left with little choice but to make a move as he could not bring himself to turn out for Tottenham Hotspur.

The 31-year-old midfielder said in The Sun: "I can only play for teams that I'm passionate about and I think that's what went wrong for me at Liverpool.

"I didn't feel a connection with the club or the place that I had at Chelsea and West Ham.

"I had seven great years at Chelsea but the club wanted to go in a certain direction and I wasn't involved. So I was left with two real options - Liverpool or Spurs.

"Spurs was probably the best option because they were offering me a five-year deal and it meant I could stay in familiar surroundings.

"But I just couldn't do it, I just couldn't see myself pulling that Spurs shirt over my head. With the rivalry between Spurs and West Ham and Chelsea, it felt a bit mercenary."

Having re-joined the club that helped to launch his career, Cole is hoping to recapture his best form and hang up his boots as a West Ham player.

He added: "I was missing London and my family and I had a personal tragedy in December when my brother-in-law died.

"I got an opportunity to go back to West Ham and I don't want to move any more."

i was happy when we signed him, now it looks like not only was he shit, he was a cunt as well. cant pull on a spurs shirt as it would have felt mercenary? yet was happy to pull on a liverpool shirt and earn £100k a week for a club he felt no passion for1 absolute fuckin cunt of the highest order. hope he shatters his legs next time he plays and ends his career, cunt

It was never going to work out because when we signed him he was old, slow and shit.

When we signed Joe Cole he was under 30 , had won more honours than our first team could hallucinate, and was an England international. The suggestion that signing a player with over 300 PL games behind him and experience of winning things ( in a team that lacked that) was doomed is quite evidently nonsense.

Any signing is a gamble, so was this, but it was less so than AA or Andy Carroll. He also had the misfortune to join the club when we were in a shambles after a year of internecine warfare.

He could, and probably should, have done better, especially when Steve Clarke arrived, and he is now cutting a pretty mediocre figure at Upton Park.

When we signed Joe Cole he was under 30 , had won more honours than our first team could hallucinate, and was an England international. The suggestion that signing a player with over 300 PL games behind him and experience of winning things ( in a team that lacked that) was doomed is quite evidently nonsense.

Any signing is a gamble, so was this, but it was less so than AA or Andy Carroll. He also had the misfortune to join the club when we were in a shambles after a year of internecine warfare.

He could, and probably should, have done better, especially when Steve Clarke arrived, and he is now cutting a pretty mediocre figure at Upton Park.

Had won more honours than our first team could hallucinate?

When he signed, Steven Gerrard had a medal for the biggest prize in European Football (the Champions League), and Fernando Torres had won the UEFA European Football Championship and was about to win the World Cup. Joe Cole had none of this.

Not to mention that your point is ridiculous anyway.

He was injury prone ,couldnt get a run in the Chelsea team and they were happy to offoad him. What more information do you need to conclude that he was past his sell by date irrespective of being under 30 at the time.

He was a dreadful signing and done for window dressing.

No, when we signed him he was old, slow and shit and there was nothing Steve Clarke could have done about it.

The life and times of a multi millionaire' date=' riveting stuff, real life quandries and problems.[/quote']

Exactly.

Im shocked Dave u supported him for so

long, worst thing hes ever done in my opinion. Ever.

Exactly.

Im shocked Dave u supported him for so

long, worst thing hes ever done in my opinion. Ever.

Hey, I always qualified it by saying I'm fully aware it is wishful thinking!

Really disappointed with those comments, his reputation as one of the nice guys just went up in smoke. Quite happy to take obscene money for doing fuck all from a club he 'had no connection with'. Nice.

Poor form, he'll no doubt get shit in a few weeks when he returns to Anfield, which is a shame as it's not something we generally would do. Even the shittest players get a warm welcome as long as they haven't acted like twats.

Hopefully he'll just be ignored (not to spare his feelings, but to keep the moral high ground), but if he does get stick it's justified.

Hey, I always qualified it by saying I'm fully aware it is wishful thinking!

Really disappointed with those comments, his reputation as one of the nice guys just went up in smoke. Quite happy to take obscene money for doing fuck all from a club he 'had no connection with'. Nice.

Poor form, he'll no doubt get shit in a few weeks when he returns to Anfield, which is a shame as it's not something we generally would do. Even the shittest players get a warm welcome as long as they haven't acted like twats.

Hopefully he'll just be ignored (not to spare his feelings, but to keep the moral high ground), but if he does get stick it's justified.

I hope somebody throws a goat at him.