You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Stop watch, 4 quid from fleabay. So cheap you can just buy a new one when the battery goes if the screwheads round off when you try to open it up as happened with my last one that lasted about 4 years!

Doesnt give my heart rate but does splits, countdowns or just bog standard start to stop. That's all I use!

Nice one, will have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

So i have been really trying to up the length of time i can run for recently.

Been running again for a bit over a year now and had not until a couple of weeks back done anything much over an hour.

I managed 1hr 20 a couple of weeks back and 1hr 33 Monday just gone....felt there was more in tank, but it's just mentally hard.

Anyone who regularly runs these kind of runs and longer got any tips?

Should i go for 1hr 45 maybe now or go straight up to 2 hrs? Any tips on how to attack it/how to cope mentally would be welcome....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am officially entered in the London Marathon now - so Sunday 2nd October is the big day.

Going to start a 20 week training plan starting in a couple of weeks - got a good solid base of running behind me, so all being well I will have a good 20 weeks and get to the starting line in good shape and put in a respectable performance on the day.

I am running it for charity - so motivated to make sure I raise good money for them....it's for a childrens charity who provide 24/7 residential care, treatment and therapeutic education for 5-18 year old children who have suffered severe abuse, neglect and trauma.

• Upvote 7

On 10/04/2022 at 01:32, an tha said:

So i have been really trying to up the length of time i can run for recently.

Been running again for a bit over a year now and had not until a couple of weeks back done anything much over an hour.

I managed 1hr 20 a couple of weeks back and 1hr 33 Monday just gone....felt there was more in tank, but it's just mentally hard.

Anyone who regularly runs these kind of runs and longer got any tips?

Should i go for 1hr 45 maybe now or go straight up to 2 hrs? Any tips on how to attack it/how to cope mentally would be welcome....

Longest I've done is about 1:20 but I found either a running partner or a few funny podcasts were helps.

13 hours ago, an tha said:

Well I am officially entered in the London Marathon now - so Sunday 2nd October is the big day.

Going to start a 20 week training plan starting in a couple of weeks - got a good solid base of running behind me, so all being well I will have a good 20 weeks and get to the starting line in good shape and put in a respectable performance on the day.

I am running it for charity - so motivated to make sure I raise good money for them....it's for a childrens charity who provide 24/7 residential care, treatment and therapeutic education for 5-18 year old children who have suffered severe abuse, neglect and trauma.

That's a boss charity that, mate. Share a link for me to contribute to, please.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, an tha said:

That’s ace, will it be your first marathon? I’ve been lucky enough to do London twice (2016, 2018) and it’s mind-blowing: just a wall of noise, colour, music and people. Depending on pace you might get over Tower Bridge in time to see the elites coming back past you on the opposite side of the road: it’s pretty humbling to see up close just how fast and effortless they make it look.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Huevón said:

That’s ace, will it be your first marathon? I’ve been lucky enough to do London twice (2016, 2018) and it’s mind-blowing: just a wall of noise, colour, music and people. Depending on pace you might get over Tower Bridge in time to see the elites coming back past you on the opposite side of the road: it’s pretty humbling to see up close just how fast and effortless they make it look.

I did London in 2009....but in all honesty i wasn't really prepared for it - i'd run a half marathon at Silverstone before it, but after that i slacked off.

I was fine for 15 miles - was on pace for about 4hrs but absolutely fell apart fron there on in and trailed home in nearly 5 - barely a brisk walk last 10 miles.

I am much better shape this time with a serious plan to run well and i will.....but i also want to enjoy the day - the buzz as i remember it was immense and as you say it is some experience.

I can't wait - every training session is going to be a case of me visualising self there on day, enjoying it, really taking it all in and doing my best.

How did you find it all? How did you do?

I am interested in any tips/advice you have about training and the day?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, an tha said:

I did London in 2009....but in all honesty i wasn't really prepared for it - i'd run a half marathon at Silverstone before it, but after that i slacked off.

I was fine for 15 miles - was on pace for about 4hrs but absolutely fell apart fron there on in and trailed home in nearly 5 - barely a brisk walk last 10 miles.

I am much better shape this time with a serious plan to run well and i will.....but i also want to enjoy the day - the buzz as i remember it was immense and as you say it is some experience.

I can't wait - every training session is going to be a case of me visualising self there on day, enjoying it, really taking it all in and doing my best.

How did you find it all? How did you do?

I am interested in any tips/advice you have about training and the day?

2016 was brilliant: the conditions were good and I’d stuck to the training plan which meant I managed to keep up an even pace before tailing off a bit at mile 25. Got home in 3:31, so a minute off target but still happy enough! What seemed to help was having a plan for fuelling during the race: I can’t stand the energy gels so carried two bars of chocolate Kendal mint cake instead to eat at miles 7, 13, 18 and 22. That helped both in terms of energy but also mentally, as it kind of broke the race up into chunks which meant you could just focus on / look forward to getting to the next chocolate fix rather than worrying about the number of miles remaining!

2018 on the other hand was absolute carnage: it was that year with the crazy heat in April and the entire course was like a battlefield with runners receiving medical attention everywhere. Also I hadn’t stuck to the training plan, hadn’t done enough long training runs, and so by the time I got to mile 8 I was fucked. I basically half ran, half walked the remaining 18 miles, and couldn’t wait to get out of there away from the noise, the crowds and the bastard in a tree costume who kept overtaking me each time I stopped.

I don’t think there’s any rocket science to marathons to be honest, main thing is that in my experience at least you can’t get away with not doing the training and expect to wing it on the day, as you can (to an extent) with 10ks or even halves.

Also, if you know someone or have the spare cash, I think getting regular physio / sports massage during the training period helps enormously, as your body is taking a helluva pounding and the last thing you want is for something to break or go ping two weeks before the event!

I’m actually doing London again this year, still quite unfit so hoping to use this thread for some motivation to get my arse back into gear!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Huevón said:

2016 was brilliant: the conditions were good and I’d stuck to the training plan which meant I managed to keep up an even pace before tailing off a bit at mile 25. Got home in 3:31, so a minute off target but still happy enough! What seemed to help was having a plan for fuelling during the race: I can’t stand the energy gels so carried two bars of chocolate Kendal mint cake instead to eat at miles 7, 13, 18 and 22. That helped both in terms of energy but also mentally, as it kind of broke the race up into chunks which meant you could just focus on / look forward to getting to the next chocolate fix rather than worrying about the number of miles remaining!

2018 on the other hand was absolute carnage: it was that year with the crazy heat in April and the entire course was like a battlefield with runners receiving medical attention everywhere. Also I hadn’t stuck to the training plan, hadn’t done enough long training runs, and so by the time I got to mile 8 I was fucked. I basically half ran, half walked the remaining 18 miles, and couldn’t wait to get out of there away from the noise, the crowds and the bastard in a tree costume who kept overtaking me each time I stopped.

I don’t think there’s any rocket science to marathons to be honest, main thing is that in my experience at least you can’t get away with not doing the training and expect to wing it on the day, as you can (to an extent) with 10ks or even halves.

Also, if you know someone or have the spare cash, I think getting regular physio / sports massage during the training period helps enormously, as your body is taking a helluva pounding and the last thing you want is for something to break or go ping two weeks before the event!

I’m actually doing London again this year, still quite unfit so hoping to use this thread for some motivation to get my arse back into gear!

Thanks for that - the advice about fuel is really useful - as it is an area i struggle with...hate gels, not big on energy drinks and follow a pretty low calorie diet after losing a lot of weight.

But i realise as i run more i need to fuel properly and fuel properly for and on long runs and on day itself.

Stay around this thread - i am sure we can help each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Im looking for a running/walking app that will give you interval times. I used to have one but can't remember what it was/ It would tell you the pace you did every half mile. Just find it handy as it helps prompt me to pick up some pace as needed. Any suggestions

Bought a garmin watch "Forerunner 245 Music" cost £179 but it is boss.

The app that it works with is really good as well for loads of data.

Highly recommend the music feature is a real game changer - no need to have to take phone when running now.

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Im looking for a running/walking app that will give you interval times. I used to have one but can't remember what it was/ It would tell you the pace you did every half mile. Just find it handy as it helps prompt me to pick up some pace as needed. Any suggestions

I use Strava from my Apple Watch, there is a setting to for Audio Cues, which announces your split times (mine is set to km so I get an announcement every km with total distance, total time and time of the last km).

I would also recommend looking at a website called Smash Run - you can sync this up with Strava (and others) and get a lot of detailed info over what you get on the free version of Strava.

smashrun.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not got much of a clue about them but looking fir a watch for steps,heart rate etc. 

Seen these refurbed,anyone used any. I'm not paying over £70 as it'll probably get smashed with me being a clumsy bastard with watches

FITBIT VERSA 2/3

Garmin Instinct

Garmin Forerunner 735XT

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Not got much of a clue about them but looking fir a watch for steps,heart rate etc. 

Seen these refurbed,anyone used any. I'm not paying over £70 as it'll probably get smashed with me being a clumsy bastard with watches

FITBIT VERSA 2/3

Garmin Instinct

Garmin Forerunner 735XT

No expert but as posted above:

Bought a garmin watch "Forerunner 245 Music" cost £179 but it is boss.

The app that it works with is really good as well for loads of data.

Highly recommend the music feature is a real game changer - no need to have to take phone when running now.

It covers loads of stuff - calories, steps, heart rate, detailed breakdown of runs...even runs a training plan

Really is good - if you want to stretch to price i can't recommend it highly enough!

Detailed Review here:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/garmin/1409945/garmin-forerunner-245245-music-review

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Almost a year to the day after my knees decided they didn’t work anymore I went for a run this morning. Just two miles but was ace to be able to run.  We’ll see tomorrow if I can walk. 

Nice one.

Start my 16 week marathon training plan this week....been running regularly for about 18 months now probably averaging about 12 miles a week i'd say.....gonna see that steadily climb over coming weeks.

This coming week according to the training plan i am following looks like this:

Screenshot-20220612-192643-One-Drive.jpg

So that is 150 mins of running....probably be around 16 miles i reckon in total.

• Upvote 2