You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Going to give a half marathon a crack on Friday.

Good luck, lad.

Be very conservative the first few miles. Take it from me, you do not want to hit a wall with 8 miles to go.

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Right. I’ve not been for a run for ages, maybe 5 months or so.  No motivation and a severe case of ‘cantbearseditis’ so I’m starting again today.  

Hoping to do 10km in under 49 mins by the middle of June.  

Did the couch to 5k a few months ago and was doing 5k every other day , but lost the urge about 10 days ago for some reason and need to get it back.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That was fucking horrendous.  5km in 30 mins.  I was never exactly Zola Bud but that was shit.  As I was going along the canal I was praying for the Manchester Canal pusher to do me in.  

Haha, 30 mins was me on a decent day, i.e. not hungover, and at least a week away from fags...

I'll be starting again soon- I'm down 25 lbs since New Year, and have been doing a combination of rowing and kettle bell and spin classes, so I'm feeling pretty decent, after nearly fainting when I saw how much weight I'd put on. I've another 7 lbs or so to go, so the running should see that come off quickly. My previous 5K best was about 27 mins, so aiming for about 25 would be a good goal.

• Upvote 1

For anyone who has done the couch to 5k, how did you manage when you started the 'longer' runs?

Im only just finishing the second week, so only ran 90 seconds, however, just seen that by the end of week 5 i.e my 9th run, i should be running 20 mins. Seems quite a steep increase. Maybe its not? I appreciate that you dont have to move on to the next week until you are comfortable

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Haha, 30 mins was me on a decent day, i.e. not hungover, and at least a week away from fags...

I'll be starting again soon- I'm down 25 lbs since New Year, and have been doing a combination of rowing and kettle bell and spin classes, so I'm feeling pretty decent, after nearly fainting when I saw how much weight I'd put on. I've another 7 lbs or so to go, so the running should see that come off quickly. My previous 5K best was about 27 mins, so aiming for about 25 would be a good goal.

That’s a cracking effort. 

1 hour ago, John102 said:

For anyone who has done the couch to 5k, how did you manage when you started the 'longer' runs?

Im only just finishing the second week, so only ran 90 seconds, however, just seen that by the end of week 5 i.e my 9th run, i should be running 20 mins. Seems quite a steep increase. Maybe its not? I appreciate that you dont have to move on to the next week until you are comfortable

Some of the timings did seem a little bit erratic but I never found it a massive issue , and was never unable to complete a step up and I was (am) a fat 60 year old. They also say that there  is no real problem if you substitute a minute or two walking for running if you feel uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feel plateauing last couple of weeks which i suppose after pretty quick progress over a short time running is to be expected.

Any tips on how to kick on again?

Don't even feel as motivated and enjoy runs as much as was for 3 months.

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Feel plateauing last couple of weeks which i suppose after pretty quick progress over a short time running is to be expected.

Any tips on how to kick on again?

Don't even feel as motivated and enjoy runs as much as was for 3 months.

As you said the progress will be rapid initially, this is to be expected and some, whilst obviously fitness has improved, will be purely down to mental belief, a few weeks ago, no way can I push at 5 min km pace, so you mentally slow down, whereas now you believe you can so push and work harder. 

Working harder is great, but this breaks your body down and you then need to give your body time to recover/improve. 

The old " rest days are as important as run days", comes into play, your body needs to recover so it can get stronger. Have a rest and relax and don't stress about it. 

Have a cut back week or even two, less miles run and less intense.

Just go out and bimble for a little run, remember it is meant to be fun. Enjoy the fact how comfortable 5km at 30 minutes feels and compare to when you started. 

An example, a marathon training schedule is approx 18 weeks and the easiest 3 weeks are the last 3 leading up to the race. You spend 15 weeks pushing the body and the mind, breaking it down and running whilst tired, then the last 3 weeks are all about recovering/repairing so you can benefit from the previous 15 weeks training. The 3 weeks taper/bimble are where you make the improvements as your body recovers from the hard training. The most common mistake people make is over training, it is better to do a little less than a little more. 

• Upvote 1