You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

15 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

My cousin (who's a bit of an oddity in my family as he doesn't drink) he's 46 and managed to run every single day last year. Averaging 3 miles a day at 7 minute miles. Wish I had that commitment 

7 minute miles is my end goal, over a 5k at least! Not sure I will ever really want to run more than an hour so 5k and 10k are the best race sizes for me too.

Who knows though, I never thought I could enjoy running so no idea what the future holds.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Regular readers may remember me talking  about a woman I used to run with who is doing the Lands End to JoG charity virtual run.  Well she’s finished today, 870 miles in 74 days.   She came 31st.  Machine. 

If you used to run you need to seriously look at your routine and whatever it is/was change it. My advice would be start with your diet, and you were the condescending little cunt telling the poor that a chicken in tesco only costs a fiver.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If you used to run you need to seriously look at your routine and whatever it is/was change it. My advice would be start with your diet, and you were the condescending little cunt telling the poor that a chicken in tesco only costs a fiver.

All those fucking pasties. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha, what does that made you Eddie?  

Maybe you should have a night off the booze.  

What does that made me?  

The man who smirks to himself about typos in his last 5 posts makes a typo. What a pathetic little cunt you are 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

What does that made me?  

The man who smirks to himself about typos in his last 5 posts makes a typo. What a pathetic little cunt you are 

Fuck, and I’m sober too.  

You can do better than that, put-bellied pasty is much better.  Now, I’m going for a piss, am I going to find you in the loo too?  It’s like being haunted by an aged alcoholic ghost. 

52 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Knocked another minute off my 10k last weekend @ 49 minutes.

Aiming for 48 this Saturday.

How many times a week are you running at the moment ? 

What distances/paces ? 

Edit: just read back a page, I see you are following a program on Garmin. 

That is why I asked, going to mention a schedule but you have one already. 

I would still be interested to see details.

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

How many times a week are you running at the moment ? 

What distances/paces ? 

Edit: just read back a page, I see you are following a program on Garmin. 

That is why I asked, going to mention a schedule but you have one already. 

I would still be interested to see details.

I dropped the Garmin course in favour of just running with my mate again as it was hard to align our goals/days etc although I'd like to introduce some intervals again.

But each week I'm trying to do:

1 X 5k (currently 7:25min/mile)

2 X 4 mile (currently 7:35min/mile)

1 X 10k (currently 7:55min/mile)

I'd love to knock 30s/mile off all those, so I'm under 7 for the 5k and 7:30 for the 10k.

7 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I dropped the Garmin course in favour of just running with my mate again as it was hard to align our goals/days etc although I'd like to introduce some intervals again.

But each week I'm trying to do:

1 X 5k (currently 7:25min/mile)

2 X 4 mile (currently 7:35min/mile)

1 X 10k (currently 7:55min/mile)

I'd love to knock 30s/mile off all those, so I'm under 7 for the 5k and 7:30 for the 10k.

So every run is quicker than race (10k) pace and shorter than race distance. Do you ever have cut back weeks ?

If might be worth, say every second week, rather than racing 10k to run slower and further than 10k. This really helps physiologically, as you know you can go comfortably past 10k and also run comfortable past 50 minutes. 

I am going to come across as condescending (probably already have), so I apologise in advance. I only say it because I have done the same as every other runner and ran too quickly for too long until the inevitable injury comes along. 

I think at least one of them runs should be a lot slower to help with recovery from the other runs. Your body will not be able to cope with four intense runs a week and you will probably be carrying fatigue through to the following weeks. This will slow you down and you will work harder to try to maintain your pace, which will become a snowball. 

Like you I only started to get fit and lose weight and enjoyed the increase in fitness and speed that came with it. I got a few niggles which then became injuries, which then helped me lose the fitness and enthusiasm I had gained. 

I was told repeatedly to slow down, put never did. I now realise running recovery days are as important as running quick days, as they compliment each other. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a26514237/running-pacing-easy-miles/

It is counter intuitive but running slower helps you to run faster.

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/how-to-run-faster/

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

So every run is quicker than race (10k) pace and shorter than race distance. Do you ever have cut back weeks ?

If might be worth, say every second week, rather than racing 10k to run slower and further than 10k. This really helps physiologically, as you know you can go comfortably past 10k and also run comfortable past 50 minutes. 

I am going to come across as condescending (probably already have), so I apologise in advance. I only say it because I have done the same as every other runner and ran too quickly for too long until the inevitable injury comes along. 

I think at least one of them runs should be a lot slower to help with recovery from the other runs. Your body will not be able to cope with four intense runs a week and you will probably be carrying fatigue through to the following weeks. This will slow you down and you will work harder to try to maintain your pace, which will become a snowball. 

Like you I only started to get fit and lose weight and enjoyed the increase in fitness and speed that came with it. I got a few niggles which then became injuries, which then helped me lose the fitness and enthusiasm I had gained. 

I was told repeatedly to slow down, put never did. I now realise running recovery days are as important as running quick days, as they compliment each other. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a26514237/running-pacing-easy-miles/

It is counter intuitive but running slower helps you to run faster.

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/how-to-run-faster/

I agree, and enjoyed Garmin's long runs for 60-80 mins at a much more relaxed 8:30-9:00 pace, but it's just harder to fit a big slow one in when I'm running with someone who doesn't like slow ones.

Might try and push for a slow 10 miles this weekend instead of a fast 10k. I did a casual pace 8 miles before and felt like I could go on all day at 8:30. Only stopped running because the family were waiting on my getting home for lunch. Think I could do a half marathon at 8:30-9:00 ok right now.

• Upvote 2

Got a new treadmill and started running again I've done about 2 5ks not at any great speed just taking it slowly but I'm feeling it in my knees, not pain just an uncomfortable feeling like I'm aware I have knees more than I should be. I'm wearing a crossfit trainee and have a slight incline on the treadmill. I'm wondering if it's just my body getting used to it or I'll be on walking sticks if I continue.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Got a new treadmill and started running again I've done about 2 5ks not at any great speed just taking it slowly but I'm feeling it in my knees, not pain just an uncomfortable feeling like I'm aware I have knees more than I should be. I'm wearing a crossfit trainee and have a slight incline on the treadmill. I'm wondering if it's just my body getting used to it or I'll be on walking sticks if I continue.

I had knee pain, then I lost weight and haven't had any since. I also had some help from some of those anti-inflammatory gels you get at the chemists. 

I hesitate to ask but are you "carrying a bit of timber"? Might possibly be the problem. 

I don't have any knee problems now and I'm into running on the treadmill. My current basic workout is 20 minutes on setting 7.2 which comes out I think as about 2.4km. Not huge by the standards round here. 

I wear wireless headphones and am currently listening to "A Walk in the Woods" audiobook by Bill Bryson while running.

I always feel way better after a workout. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No I'm not carrying any extra weight that's not an issue. I'm running about 5k in 35 minutes so not great but running is fairly new for me I've always done weighted exercise, still do.

Currently I either watch an episode of the sopranos when running or listen to a podcast which at the minute is the black tapes. 

Maybe you are just overdoing it a bit and need more rest days?

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No I'm not carrying any extra weight that's not an issue. I'm running about 5k in 35 minutes so not great but running is fairly new for me I've always done weighted exercise, still do.

Currently I either watch an episode of the sopranos when running or listen to a podcast which at the minute is the black tapes. 

If you look at those couch to 5k programs the first few weeks are virtually no exercise time at all and possibly quite a lot of run/walk mixed. A major reason for this is your body needs to get use to the impact of running more than increasing cardio. 

People average 160 strides per minute when initially running, so 80 landings on each leg. 2800 landings per run (35 minutes) each stride puts between 3 and 4 times your body weight through your joints on each landing. Anything up to half a tonne, so your joints will hurt, the issue is, as you say, is it just your body getting use to it or potential injury. 

I wouldn't run more than twice a week for the first 3 weeks and see how you feel or maybe have a minute walk every five minute of run and see if that helps.

edit: or maybe follow a beginner's couch to 5k, as I said designed for people who haven't run for a long time.

• Upvote 1

Up till last year the only cardio I did was the occasional short session on a treadmill or cycle at the gym as a prelude to a workout. I deludedly thought I was 'doing enough' to keep my levels up. then the lockdown kicked in last year and I took to my local park for a jog, and lasted about 5 minutes before giving up. 

Undeterred, and realising I needed a program to help me along, I did the C25K and run at about the slowest possible pace I could. I completed it on schedule and felt a real sense of achievement. I didn't actually get to 5k in the 30ms though, more like 40ms at a comfortable pace. Even now I can't run 5k in under 30ms (qualifier: I'm a middle-aged guy who last did regular cardio in my late teens). My fastest time now is just over 31ms, and that's at a fucking push. I was chipping away at my 5k time but then the ground turned soft and muddy (and I'm not running on the pavement) and I decided it was probably wise to leave that for the spring and have now turned to improving my longest distance.

I've just today completed 9k, my furthest ever, albeit at a comfortable/snail-like pace of over 8 mins per km. Once I get to 10k I'll probably return to getting my pace up over both 5k and 10k to something more credible then see where I stand. A couple of park runs, maybe a race even come the summer if restrictions are eased.

What I will say is that, for all the hassle, sacrifices and setbacks that come with committing to a running schedule, I wouldn't change it for the world. Reaching each little goal, then the bigger ones, gives me a real boost, never mind the actual health benefits that come from running. A couple of weeks back I was running in the snow, and this morning I got up with a hangover, found out that heavy snow is predicted for tomorrow, and did my next run a day earlier because I really didn't want to miss a session. This time last year I would've laughed at the idea I would be doing what I am now, but here I am!

• Upvote 7

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Not everyone feels this way, but when you get in a good rhythm, running is actually fun. 

I’ve no doubt said it before in this thread but when it’s going well it’s ace, but the very next day can be dogshit and like you’ve never put in trainers before.  Infuriating. 

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve no doubt said it before in this thread but when it’s going well it’s ace, but the very next day can be dogshit and like you’ve never put in trainers before.  Infuriating. 

Yeah, there are times I feel like I could run forever and there are days I'm sluggish as anything. With diet and sleep not changing much. Who knows, eh. 

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If it helps, my first ever 5k was 33 minutes WITH 10 kilos extra weight, and now it's 23 minutes, still with that extra weight.

If you run 3 times a week at beginner level, you'll make progress without having to worry too much about pacing or the science, or even having to push really hard. In my experience at the start you just have to build the habit of getting out and you'll get faster without really "trying" to be faster.

• Upvote 2