You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I did two runs along the Thames this week, from Tower Bridge up to the London Eye and back again. It was lovely.  

It is really nice along there, I used to go for a walk there quite often when I worked in London.

I can't run at the moment, my knee's fucked and I need to lose a stone to stop putting so much pressure on it (having steroids for RA has made me put on a fair bit of weight). My wife's a fitness instructor, and I'm doing kettle bell exercises to try and build up my flexibility and leg strength so hopefully they'll help, but I doubt I'll be running again until next year, which is a ballache, running in Autumn is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Lockdown overeating has really hurt my running. I'm still only doing one 5k a week when really I'd like to be doing 3 a week. Also I'm putting on weight which is actually making the runs harder over time.

Time to stop eating shite.

On a completely unrelated note, I made sausage rolls from scratch at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aw Geez said:

Lockdown overeating has really hurt my running. I'm still only doing one 5k a week when really I'd like to be doing 3 a week. Also I'm putting on weight which is actually making the runs harder over time.

On a completely unrelated note, I made sausage rolls from scratch at the weekend.

Got out on to the road for the first time for two months on Saturday (and this morning).

Remarkable how much easier it is than running whilst dodging trees, in a field full of rabbit holes and big stones.

I hate running as a rule but as it's the only exercise option I have now, I've started doing 5k a couple of times a week. I'm consistently under 28 minutes, which I don't think it's bad for a near 47 year old. I would love to get down to 25 minutes (just for the achievement) but I'm really struggling with my knees afterwards. Think I need new trainers.

I gave up running (and stopped playing the unmentionable in the end) because of my knees. 

Went out with the boys last week and I couldn’t even do 2k. Just getting up the stairs has been agony since. 

I desperately need to get my bike for some exercise before I can start swimming again. 

34 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Pics? Love sausage rolls me

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I gave up running (and stopped playing the unmentionable in the end) because of my knees. 

Went out with the boys last week and I couldn’t even do 2k. Just getting up the stairs has been agony since. 

I desperately need to get my bike for some exercise before I can start swimming again. 

Would the bike be even worse for the knees though Lifey?

Gym getting closed was a bugger as I was doing the 0 to 5k thing on the BCC app ( I used Michael Johnson as coach )and it left me stranded with about a week of the 9 weeks programme left.

Struggling to get the motivation back since lockdown and the gains in fitness are drifting away.Tried the exercise bike but don’t really enjoy it as much as the treadmill. 

Dont fancy road road running but might just have to bite the bullet.

Usually go to the gym three times a week but have replaced that win three around 2.5 mile runs instead. I am struggling with breathing,filling my lungs with air fully(I think I have mild asthma) and my feet and knees are picking up all sorts of injuries from running on different and uneven surfaces. Hope this lockdown ends soon before I am crippled.

Not going to be running, but I'm planning on a few miles walking each day, early morning. Just bought some trainers the first pair for over 30 years, only got them then for 5 a side. 

No ale for 6 weeks and eating well but it's the other shite I keep picking at, so I'll try walk some weight off if I can, get into a routine each day. 

I started running again in January, just doing 2-3k twice a week but since lockdown and no 7 a side football I'm doing 10k a day Monday to Saturday and about 40/50k on the road bike on a Sunday.

Feeling good tbh, never liked running, still don't but I feel more motivated as the runs get easier/faster.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've started couch to 5k. I've kind of always lifted weights on and off so I'm in decent condition in terms of how I look or at least I dont look unhealthy, but my aerobic capacity is appalling. I've always dropped weight very fast so worried if I started running my weight would drop too much but after watching random youtube vids it turns out running doesn't really effect weight too much at all. I'm using a treadmill that I usually use to gather all the dust in the garage, it's been embarrassing how unfit I am, I've only done 2 sessions. 

I'm wondering to people who have improved their fitness if it changes how you actually feel day to day. Do you notice a difference in your normal walk around life, like somehow the fucking air is fresher.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've started couch to 5k. I've kind of always lifted weights on and off so I'm in decent condition in terms of how I look or at least I dont look unhealthy, but my aerobic capacity is appalling. I've always dropped weight very fast so worried if I started running my weight would drop too much but after watching random youtube vids it turns out running doesn't really effect weight too much at all. I'm using a treadmill that I usually use to gather all the dust in the garage, it's been embarrassing how unfit I am, I've only done 2 sessions. 

I'm wondering to people who have improved their fitness if it changes how you actually feel day to day. Do you notice a difference in your normal walk around life, like somehow the fucking air is fresher.

I felt brilliant doing couch to 5k. I lost about three or four stone but that was with dieting too.

I've always been fat but can carry it because I'm big anyway, but back then I was hammering the weights and looked physically fitter than I was, but as you say under the bonnet I wasn't at all.

Fitness creeps up on you with couch to 5k, one week you're struggling to jog for five minutes and the next you're doing 20 minutes without breaking a sweat. I definitely felt better the next day after doing a run, just felt better about myself.

What torpedoed the thing for me was once I'd completed it it felt pointless and I stopped doing it. I was doing it in a gym on a treadmill and started to feel like a chore when I had no goal.

Once you've finished it think about giving yourself a goal. Go for the couch to 10k, or think about jogging outdoors for some variety, or doing a 5k charity run.

Keep it up though, you'll enjoy it.

• Upvote 2

I’ve put on a stone since lockdown so started again (again). 5 miles every other day. It’s horrific. 

also reading shoe dog, the story of Nike. In it he mentions that taking an ounce of a shoes weight  equates to 55lbs over 6 miles.  That stone I’m carrying must equate to a fucking killer whale over 5 miles. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah, if you run several times a week you'll make enormous improvement within a month or so.

I started running regularly in early March and at the time probably hadn't run for a year or two, and had never actually run regularly. Football once a week for a couple of years, but no running. The first run I struggled to about 1.5km. 

I can run about 12/13k now, and plan to do a half marathon this winter.

• Upvote 6

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, if you run several times a week you'll make enormous improvement within a month or so.

I started running regularly in early March and at the time probably hadn't run for a year or two. Football once a week for a couple of years, but no running. The first run I struggled to about 1.5km. 

I can run about 12/13k now, and plan to do a half marathon in the winter.

Funny what you say there about playing footy. I remember when I was running I was reasonably fit, I could probably manage 10k without much trouble, which was a minor miracle for me, but remember once playing a game of five a side and being absolutely fucked. I think running is good for stamina but it doesn't seem to help with that 'type' of fitness. In my experience anyway.

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Funny what you say there about playing footy. I remember when I was running I was reasonably fit, I could probably manage 10k without much trouble, which was a minor miracle for me, but remember once playing a game of five a side and being absolutely fucked. I think running is good for stamina but it doesn't seem to help with that 'type' of fitness. In my experience anyway.

Fartleks will improve that. Or kill you.  Get Nike + app on your phone and do the guided runs.  9x200m at a good pace with minimum recovery time.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Funny what you say there about playing footy. I remember when I was running I was reasonably fit, I could probably manage 10k without much trouble, which was a minor miracle for me but remember once playing a game of five a side and being absolutely fucked. I think running is good for stamina but it doesn't seem to help with that 'type' of fitness. In my experience anyway.

Yes, I find it very different. More stop start. I guess you'd have to be playing five aside at a really high level for it to be constantly end to end (like basketball games where teams usually score when they have possession). My games have huge turnovers of possession so you have a lot more twisting and turning. A lot more accelerating than jogging at a constant pace.

We used to get the odd gym freak that would play with us. Bodies like Greek gods. Blowing out their arse after 20 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The first time I really noticed something was when I got into Waverley station with barely a couple of minutes to make my connection at a platform pretty much the furthest away it could be. The thought process was, 'fuck, no way I'm making this... hang on, I can run now... this is easy, nearly there... made it, piece of piss...'. Just little things like that, plus playing in a Dads v Lads game for my son's club and still going strong at the end when most of the dads were barely moving, going to a kettle bell exercise class and not disgracing myself etc etc. It's not going to improve your life beyond recognition, but the accumulation of little things makes it so worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's the explosiveness required for football that makes a difference. Those short bursts of energy, especially in games like indoor football or 5-a-side, can take more out of you over a short-ish period of time than a steady paced jog over a longish distance.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It's the explosiveness required for football that makes a difference. Those short bursts of energy, especially in games like indoor football or 5-a-side, can take more out of you over a short-ish period of time than a steady paced jog over a longish distance.

Yeah, as Rico said above, Fartlek really helps with that. I found running intervals- 1 minute legging it, 1 minute recovery, repeat as often as you can- made the biggest difference to my running in terms of getting better times. The slowish plod to get your base fitness is needed, but the fun's in mixing it up.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, as Rico said above, Fartlek really helps with that. I found running intervals- 1 minute legging it, 1 minute recovery, repeat as often as you can- made the biggest difference to my running in terms of getting better times. The slowish plod to get your base fitness is needed, but the fun's in mixing it up.

I hate them, but as you say they make such a difference.  If you survive.  

I’m doing some tomorrow.