You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

His integrity as an athlete is not in question. He has never stated that his time should stand, because he also knows it is an artificial environment.

The set up was totally artificial, everyone knew that, no one tried to hide that fact.

I compare the set up to doping, because it was using artificial means to create an advantage, as everybody involved openly admits;

This is why I consider is akin to doping

Historical weather patterns have been studied and a three-day window chosen in the belief it will offer optimum conditions.

It has since been narrowed further and so, at 05:45 local time on Saturday morning, the three men will set off in pursuit of a place in history, but not the record books.

This is because of the use of in-out pacemakers, 20 of which will be deployed to keep the pace at a necessary level. Their use is against athletics regulations, so no matter what time is set on Saturday morning, it won't be considered a valid world record.

Staff on scooters will deliver energy drinks to the three runners to ensure they don't waste vital seconds slowing down or even slightly veering off course to grab them from roadside tables.

Surely you can see the difference between claiming the run is rigged and saying the runner is crooked.  

His integrity as an athlete is not in question. He has never stated that his time should stand, because he also knows it is an artificial environment.

The set up was totally artificial, everyone knew that, no one tried to hide that fact.

I compare the set up to doping, because it was using artificial means to create an advantage, as everybody involved openly admits;

This is why I consider is akin to doping

Historical weather patterns have been studied and a three-day window chosen in the belief it will offer optimum conditions.

It has since been narrowed further and so, at 05:45 local time on Saturday morning, the three men will set off in pursuit of a place in history, but not the record books.

This is because of the use of in-out pacemakers, 20 of which will be deployed to keep the pace at a necessary level. Their use is against athletics regulations, so no matter what time is set on Saturday morning, it won't be considered a valid world record.

Staff on scooters will deliver energy drinks to the three runners to ensure they don't waste vital seconds slowing down or even slightly veering off course to grab them from roadside tables.

I give in. There are no more words.

Tell Roger he cheated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/10731234/Roger-Bannister-The-day-I-broke-the-four-minute-mile.html

Pacemaking gained much usage after Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway successfully paced Roger Bannister to break the four-minute mile for the first time in 1954.[2][3]

Purists argue that employing pacemakers detracts from the competitive nature of racing. Original rules frowned on a competitor who was not actively trying to win, and pacemakers were required to finish a race for any record to count. This rule has now been dropped, though the pacemaker must still start with the other athletes in the race as a registered entrant. A lapped competitor may not act as a pacemaker.

This is because of the use of in-out pacemakers, 20 of which will be deployed to keep the pace at a necessary level. Their use is against athletics regulations, so no matter what time is set on Saturday morning, it won't be considered a valid world record.;

Tell Roger you can't read.

To quote you earlier;

We're all entitled to our opinions of course. 

Pacemaking gained much usage after Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway successfully paced Roger Bannister to break the four-minute mile for the first time in 1954.[2][3]

Purists argue that employing pacemakers detracts from the competitive nature of racing. Original rules frowned on a competitor who was not actively trying to win, and pacemakers were required to finish a race for any record to count. This rule has now been dropped, though the pacemaker must still start with the other athletes in the race as a registered entrant. A lapped competitor may not act as a pacemaker.

This is because of the use of in-out pacemakers, 20 of which will be deployed to keep the pace at a necessary level. Their use is against athletics regulations, so no matter what time is set on Saturday morning, it won't be considered a valid world record.;

Tell Roger you can't read.

To quote you earlier;

We're all entitled to our opinions of course.

I can't read?

FFS this is the most innocuous post I've ever made on this forum (other than my lovely pic with Mr Spence).

I said a man ran quickly. That's it. The end.

You lot tried to belittle the achievement.

He ran fast, everything was in his favour. So what?

A man did the same in the past and no one mentions it was his track, his conditions (his go/no go) his pacemakers, not a race. He's a hero.

• Upvote 1

I agreed he ran quickly and it was an amazing achievement. I said I am happy he didn't break 2 hours. An opinion I am allowed to have 

You, yourself asked WHY ? So I answered, it was not an attempt to belittle anything, as the athlete himself knows it would not be a world record time. 

You said I should tell Roger he cheated. My post clearly demonstrated a major difference in the use of pacemakers than the article you posted. It explained that they were not allowed in an IN/OUT way. Hence my quip about Tell Roger you can't read. 

I have no idea who "you lot" are. 

I also have no idea what I would feel in 1954, as I was not around. However, I would assume my lot would have been against Stuck up posh cunts from Oxford claiming working class world records. 

I agreed he ran quickly and it was an amazing achievement. I said I am happy he didn't break 2 hours. An opinion I am allowed to have

You, yourself asked WHY ? So I answered, it was not an attempt to belittle anything, as the athlete himself knows it would not be a world record time.

You said I should tell Roger he cheated. My post clearly demonstrated a major difference in the use of pacemakers than the article you posted. It explained that they were not allowed in an IN/OUT way. Hence my quip about Tell Roger you can't read.

I have no idea who "you lot" are.

I also have no idea what I would feel in 1954, as I was not around. However, I would assume my lot would have been against Stuck up posh cunts from Oxford claiming working class world records.

Bloody hell.

That time is mightily impressive despite any advantages he may have had. Conditions, clothing, terrain can only help so much.

At last.

when you consider the advantages he's had through sports science, nutrition, equipment that have been unmentioned staging it to his advantage seems picky. Fuck it. I'm doing it tomorrow!

I've recently bought some calf compression sleeves and they have seemed to have done the trick so far, touch wood.

Get a decent foam roller, they work wonders on recovery and if you do it properly and regularly you become a lot more flexible and your muscle injuries almost disappear.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any good books on running or indeed mental toughness as I find running 50% Physical 50% mental.

Becoming the Iceman by Wim Hof was fairly entertaining. Not exactly about running but his mental strength does help him accomplish ridiculous feats, such as climbing Everest shirtless and in open toed sandals, and running a marathon in the desert without drinking water.

Great vice documentary about him that I found pretty inspirational, too.

• Upvote 1

Any good books on running or indeed mental toughness as I find running 50% Physical 50% mental.

The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. More of a reference book than a sit down and read but has some great insights into the mental side of running.

The bumf from Amazon;

Now revised, expanded and updated, Lore of Running gives you incomparable detail on physiology, training, racing, injuries, world-class athletes, and races. Author Tim Noakes blends the expertise of a physician and research scientist with the passion of a dedicated runner to answer the most pressing questions for those who are serious about the sport: · How your body systems respond to training, the effects of different training methods, how to detect and avoid overtraining, and genetic versus trainable potential · How to train for the 10K up through ultramarathon with detailed programs from Noakes and several leading running experts · How to prevent and treat injuries, increase your strength and flexibility, and use proper nutrition for weight control and maximum performance You ll also find a candid analysis of supplements and ergogenic effects and training aids. The book includes new interviews with 10 world-class runners who share their secrets to success and longevity in the sport. Features on legendary figures and events in running history provide fascinating insights. And that s just scratching the surface. Lore of Running is not only the biggest and best running publication on the planet. It s the one book every runner should own.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You cant run off or through shin splints you'll make it worse. Its

A few things can help.

Deep heat pre exercise

Get into a squat postion against a wall. Put your elbows onto the inside of your knees and slow push the out (if that makes sense) helps stretch out areas.

Treatment of shin splints

Experts agree that when shin splints strike you should stop running completely or decrease your training depending on the extent and duration of pain. Then, as a first step, ice your shin to reduce inflammation. Here are some other treatments you can try:

Gently stretch your Achilles if you have medial shin splints, and your calves if you have anterior shin splints. Also, try this stretch for your shins: Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.

If you continue running, wrap your leg before you go out. Use either tape or an Ace bandage, starting just above the ankle and continuing to just below the knee. Keep wrapping your leg until the pain goes away, which usually takes three to six weeks. “What you’re doing is binding the tendons up against the shaft of the shin to prevent stress,” Laps says.

Consider cross-training for a while to let your shin heal. Swim, run in the pool or ride a bike.

When you return to running, increase your mileage slowly, no more than 10 percent weekly.

Make sure you wear the correct running shoes for your foot type specifically, overpronators should wear motion-control shoes. Severe overpronators may need orthotics.

Have two pairs of shoes and alternate wearing them to vary the stresses on your legs.

Avoid hills and excessively hard surfaces until shin pain goes away completely, then re-introduce them gradually to prevent a recurrence.

If you frequently run on roads with an obvious camber, run out and back on the same side of the road. Likewise, when running on a track, switch directions.

If you are prone to developing shin splints, stretch your calves and Achilles regularly as a preventive measure.

https://www.runnersworld.com/shin-splints

• Upvote 2