You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

As I said, the Edinburgh one was very friendly. What I didn't say, as I didn't want to put Paulie off, was that it was also very quick. I'd run a fair events before I went to Parkrun and wasn't expecting the speed the pack went off at, all streaming past me, including little kids. When I plucked up the courage to look round there weren't that many behind me but once I'd got over the shock of it it was quite good fun having your run timed and comparing it each week.

Good to see that others have a greater range of abilities

Don't worry about that I'm a realist.

When me and PP did the rock n roll 5K we started off in about the 3rd tranche from the front, confident, limbering up.  Then it filled up and we looked around us...and dropped back.  Then another.  Then another.  Then we were with people in fancy dress so we went back up one!  I'll hang near the mid-back.  Looking at the times out of the 250 who did the last one I'm somewhere between 120-150 

Don't worry about that I'm a realist.

When me and PP did the rock n roll 5K we started off in about the 3rd tranche from the front, confident, limbering up. Then it filled up and we looked around us...and dropped back. Then another. Then another. Then we were with people in fancy dress so we went back up one! I'll hang near the mid-back. Looking at the times out of the 250 who did the last one I'm somewhere between 120-150

I came in the top 10 of ours once, sounds impressive but it was the weekend of the GMR so only about 20 people turned up.

You've inspired me to get back on the roads, cricket finishes next week so I need something to keep me fit.

• Upvote 1

Parkrun was fun. Clocked a PB of 29:32 which I was made up with. That was on my app, parkrun time was 20 seconds higher than that which I'm assuming was the time it took for me to actually cross the start line because I was at the back. I'll know where to stand next time to get to my ability because the first K was slow with lots of crowds, overtaking, buggies etc.

Was 144/253 which I'll take and was a nice change to running on my own. Really pushed myself the last 2km. Will deffo be back.

5d3f37d7c5ac7b9ffd0abe5a6c61f025.jpg

• Upvote 3

I went arse over tit when 1km into a 5k run 10 days ago. Fucking fell over a massive kerb which Ive gone over a thousand times before. Got a bit of pavement rash and tried to run it off but Id turned both ankles somehow. Was annoyed to fuck because Id just got back to doing 10k in 62 minutes.

One ankle's still a bit swollen but Im going to try an easy run tomorrow if it stands the walk up Walton Breck and all them steps to the Centenary Upper.

Parkrun was fun. Clocked a PB of 29:32 which I was made up with. That was on my app, parkrun time was 20 seconds higher than that which I'm assuming was the time it took for me to actually cross the start line because I was at the back. I'll know where to stand next time to get to my ability because the first K was slow with lots of crowds, overtaking, buggies etc.

Was 144/253 which I'll take and was a nice change to running on my own. Really pushed myself the last 2km. Will deffo be back.

5d3f37d7c5ac7b9ffd0abe5a6c61f025.jpg

Get you and your negative splits!

Glad you enjoyed it

• 1 month later...

Thinking of jibbing road running until the weather gets better (yeah yeah I know, fanny) is it easy to convert to gym/treadmill running? There's a 24/7 Puregym by mine which is quite reasonable

Don't do it! Running on a treadmill is shit, boring and you won't keep it up. Get some tights and hit the streets. Maybe try some sprints instead of longer runs when it's raining (5 x 200m then next time 4 x 400). Your speed will improve massively when you do your regular run.

• Upvote 1

Anyone tried running with the elevation mask 2.0? I've been reading about them and experts say they don't do what they are meant to but people that I've spoken to who have actually used them say they do work, my mate who users it regularly said it has improved his stamina and made him lose a considerable amount of body fat as it makes you sweat a shit load. Just wondering before I buy one anyone else experiences with them.

• Upvote 1

Treadmills are shite, boring and far too easy.

I did 5 miles last night and now the same foot injury from a few years ago has acted up. I have to walk on the outside edge of my foot to avoid pressure on my arch causing me to look like a shit Keyser Soze impersonator.

• Upvote 1

Thinking of jibbing road running until the weather gets better (yeah yeah I know, fanny) is it easy to convert to gym/treadmill running?  There's a 24/7 Puregym by mine which is quite reasonable

Treadmills are easy, especially if you don't have a steep gradient. I use a treadmill regularly but when I go home I go running outside instead. Takes me about 2 miles to acclimate to the difference and then it's fine.

Treadmills are boring, though. Get yourself some good podcasts for when you're doing it.

• Upvote 1

Don't do it! Running on a treadmill is shit, boring and you won't keep it up. Get some tights and hit the streets. Maybe try some sprints instead of longer runs when it's raining (5 x 200m then next time 4 x 400). Your speed will improve massively when you do your regular run.

Do I need the hold ups as well?

Anyone tried running with the elevation mask 2.0? I've been reading about them and experts say they don't do what they are meant to but people that I've spoken to who have actually used them say they do work, my mate who users it regularly said it has improved his stamina and made him lose a considerable amount of body fat as it makes you sweat a shit load. Just wondering before I buy one anyone else experiences with them.

Treadmills are shite, boring and far too easy.

I did 5 miles last night and now the same foot injury from a few years ago has acted up. I have to walk on the outside edge of my foot to avoid pressure on my arch causing me to look like a shit Keyser Soze impersonator.

Treadmills are easy, especially if you don't have a steep gradient. I use a treadmill regularly but when I go home I go running outside instead. Takes me about 2 miles to acclimate to the difference and then it's fine.

Treadmills are boring, though. Get yourself some good podcasts for when you're doing it.

Not feeling a lot of love for the treadmills here.  I just want to keep myself ticking over til the weather gets better, and who knows I might even pump some Iron as well or blast my quads or whatever.  I imagine it will be more boring, I usually listen to podcasts when I'm doing my outdoor running or even put Pokémon go on and see what pops up. 

Just know I'll give myself the excuse of the bad weather not to go out (which is exactly what I did Tuesday after a week off since the missus was away and I was solo parenting).  My missus is also a member of the gym and goes twice a week to possibly just sit off texting but it'd be nice to sort something out together as she's making a real effort to get fit but I'm so far ahead of her in the running stakes we wont be able to do that together

Do I need the hold ups as well?

Not feeling a lot of love for the treadmills here.  I just want to keep myself ticking over til the weather gets better, and who knows I might even pump some Iron as well or blast my quads or whatever.  I imagine it will be more boring, I usually listen to podcasts when I'm doing my outdoor running or even put Pokémon go on and see what pops up. 

Just know I'll give myself the excuse of the bad weather not to go out (which is exactly what I did Tuesday after a week off since the missus was away and I was solo parenting).  My missus is also a member of the gym and goes twice a week to possibly just sit off texting but it'd be nice to sort something out together as she's making a real effort to get fit but I'm so far ahead of her in the running stakes we wont be able to do that together

For my money the treadmill is the best thing for keeping yourself in running shape, just make sure you vary the gradients and speeds so you don't plateau. All the other stuff is good but nothing simulates running better than running on a treadmill.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. If you're not happy about running at night, how about giving the treadmill (most boring thing ever, if it's anything like a bike trainer) a go through the week and do park run at the weekend?

Treadmills are fine if the weather is minus 10c or there's a hurricane. Otherwise, put on a rain jacket and just suck it up. You'll feel better for it.

Plus, putting the gradient up sounds like a good idea, but it can really fuck up your calves running with them stretched like that for so long.

Guest Pistonbroke

I miss running since I had the hip replacement and had to stop, especially the freedom it gave me, just can't get that feeling whilst riding a bike personally. 

Thinking of jibbing road running until the weather gets better (yeah yeah I know, fanny) is it easy to convert to gym/treadmill running?  There's a 24/7 Puregym by mine which is quite reasonable

Due to my job (Merchant Navy) I know there will be periods where the only running I can do is on a treadmill. If it is that or nothing then treadmills are preferable.

As a few others have said treadmill running can be very boring, mentally it is much tougher. Again I agree a gradient of between 0.5% and 1.5% to simulate running outside. You will spend your entire time looking at the clock counting time. To try and deflect from this I increase/decrease my pace every couple of minutes and this seems to break if up so you are waiting for your next speed change rather than just counting the clock/distance for no reason. At the end of your run do not just jump off the treadmill but gradually decrease your speed to walking pace.

As others have also said, getting outside in bad weather is preferable and once you are out and running it is fine. Wear layers but be prepared to take some off once you warm up. Last week I was planning on running 8 miles, a few miles in the skies opened and it was full on heavy rain, thunder, lightning the whole works. Within a couple of minutes I was soaked to the skin and the running path was virtually empty. I ended up running 10 miles, perverse sense of stupidity and superiority mixed together.

Due to my job (Merchant Navy) I know there will be periods where the only running I can do is on a treadmill. If it is that or nothing then treadmills are preferable.

As a few others have said treadmill running can be very boring, mentally it is much tougher. Again I agree a gradient of between 0.5% and 1.5% to simulate running outside. You will spend your entire time looking at the clock counting time. To try and deflect from this I increase/decrease my pace every couple of minutes and this seems to break if up so you are waiting for your next speed change rather than just counting the clock/distance for no reason. At the end of your run do not just jump off the treadmill but gradually decrease your speed to walking pace.

As others have also said, getting outside in bad weather is preferable and once you are out and running it is fine. Wear layers but be prepared to take some off once you warm up. Last week I was planning on running 8 miles, a few miles in the skies opened and it was full on heavy rain, thunder, lightning the whole works. Within a couple of minutes I was soaked to the skin and the running path was virtually empty. I ended up running 10 miles, perverse sense of stupidity and superiority mixed together.

It appears the above poster is full of shit;

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

This is a pop quiz. Ready? Here’s the question: When running on atreadmill, how can you adjust the treadmill to make it equivalent to running outdoors?

Don’t congratulate yourself too fast, at least not if you gave this common answer of setting the treadmill’s incline at 1%. Even though this method has been oft-repeated through the years, it turns out to be mostly urban myth. The correct answer can be found in a wonderful treadmill-running blog recently posted by Casey Kerrigan, founder and president of Oesh Shoes.

In his famous treadmill study, Jones tested experienced runners at six per-mile paces (9:11, 8:03, 7:09, 6:25, 5:51, and 5:21) while they ran on a treadmill that was either flat or inclined by various amounts. Setting thetreadmill at a 1% incline made the effort equivalent to outdoor running only to those running 7:09 pace or faster. Let’s face it: Most of us are slower than that. You’re correct if you believe that treadmill runners don’t encounter the “cost” of moving through the air around them (because they don't move; they stay in one place). But it simply doesn’t add up to anything significant unless you’re running 7:09 pace or faster.