You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Only 4k this morning but it was wet and cold so my nips were like a ladies when they see me running. Had my running tshirt and a running wanker high viz waterproof on. Got spongebob plasters on each one from Babby D's first aid box

Oh, you are the Princess and the Pea!

Moof, I'm ignoring you

I started running again last week and not sure if its a delayed reaction but i had to go to hospital this morning as i couldnt walk, my achilles tendon in my left leg near enough seized up. Agony. I've been told by the Doctor that it's achilles tendonitis and i've been put on strong painkillers which have spaced me out.

All i really wanted was a pair of crutches to take the weight off when i walk, as oddly enough, that's when it hurts. Stupid Doctors.  

• 2 months later...

After doing the C25K I've been keeping up the running doing the 5k 2-3 times a week.  I'm at the point now were my overall fitness means that even if I can't get out for a week due to illness or whatever I can put my shoes on and knock out 5k in anywhere between 30-34 mins depending how up for it I feel.  I usually get around the 30-32 mark but my PB is just a shade under 30. 

On friday I did my usual 5k but as I finished a way from my car I kept going and did 6 with no bother.  Yesterday I set out to do 6 and ended up doing 7 in 44.34.  I'm not kidding myself that I go at any great velocity I just tend to plod along listening to podcasts etc.  

I actually felt like if I carried on I could do 10 but it was at the Marina and getting dark and it gets a bit swginery of an evening. From anyone's experience how difficult is it to step up from 5-10k?  

• Upvote 2

After doing the C25K I've been keeping up the running doing the 5k 2-3 times a week.  I'm at the point now were my overall fitness means that even if I can't get out for a week due to illness or whatever I can put my shoes on and knock out 5k in anywhere between 30-34 mins depending how up for it I feel.  I usually get around the 30-32 mark but my PB is just a shade under 30. 

On friday I did my usual 5k but as I finished a way from my car I kept going and did 6 with no bother.  Yesterday I set out to do 6 and ended up doing 7 in 44.34.  I'm not kidding myself that I go at any great velocity I just tend to plod along listening to podcasts etc.  

I actually felt like if I carried on I could do 10 but it was at the Marina and getting dark and it gets a bit swginery of an evening. From anyone's experience how difficult is it to step up from 5-10k?

You're practically there and doing exactly the right thing by just adding distance in small increments.

For marathon training they recommend adding 15 min each week to your longest run and that's what you'very just done.

And the rest is in your head.

After all, what's the worst that could happen? That you might need to walk for a short section before setting off again?

Go to it!

• Upvote 1

You're practically there and doing exactly the right thing by just adding distance in small increments.

For marathon training they recommend adding 15 min each week to your longest run and that's what you'very just done.

And the rest is in your head.

After all, what's the worst that could happen? That you might need to walk for a short section before setting off again?

Go to it!

Aye it's all about the little increments for me in the spirit of C25K.  Didn't set off to do anything but 5km and don't want to be doing Marathons because I couldn't commit the time involved (wouldn't be fair on babby D and lady D for me to be disappearing for hours on end of a weekend) but think a 10k of an evening is do-able until it starts getting too dark and I might cut back or see if I can get a cheapish none long term gym membership. 

Well in, Paulie. Once you're comfortable with 5K, the 10K is all in your head. I did just over 9K today and running back for the last 2 was hell, not because I was tired but because it's the same spot where I usually start to flag. Had to keep telling myself to run through it and once I did I was fine.

• Upvote 1

Aye it's all about the little increments for me in the spirit of C25K. Didn't set off to do anything but 5km and don't want to be doing Marathons because I couldn't commit the time involved (wouldn't be fair on babby D and lady D for me to be disappearing for hours on end of a weekend) but think a 10k of an evening is do-able until it starts getting too dark and I might cut back or see if I can get a cheapish none long term gym membership.

I didn't mean that I was suggesting you did a marathon...it was just the way I approached building up distance.

And I'm curious why you wouldn't want to run in the dark

I didn't mean that I was suggesting you did a marathon...it was just the way I approached building up distance.

And I'm curious why you wouldn't want to run in the dark

Oh aye, was just saying it's not a goal for me long term. 

Round ours gets a bit moody of a nighttime and a young buck like me might get bummed by a gang of street-poofs

Another 7km last night in 43.25 as opposed to 44.34 on Sunday.

You are at the stage were 10km is a mental distance rather than a physical problem. Don't worry about pace, just slowly jog to 10km the first time you get there, this will also help with time on feet.

I agree with Rico about mixing up your runs but be careful of trying to run to quickly, this is when the niggles start.

As an aside it took me approx 14 months to get to 10 miles (massive mental barrier), the week after I ran 13.1 miles (half marathon distance) and the week after 15 miles. Once I had broken the barrier it was easy to continue.  

You shouldn't need to take water with you for 10k but do make sure you're well hydrated before you go and drink plenty afterwards.

I don't know about where you are but it's been very humid here this last week and although you may not feel that hot you may be perspiring/sweating more than you'd think. I was reminded of this to my cost on Tuesday after not drinking enough after my class and ended up with the headsche from hell. Dehydration headaches a a beggar to shift for some reason

You shouldn't need to take water with you for 10k but do make sure you're well hydrated before you go and drink plenty afterwards.

I don't know about where you are but it's been very humid here this last week and although you may not feel that hot you may be perspiring/sweating more than you'd think. I was reminded of this to my cost on Tuesday after not drinking enough after my class and ended up with the headsche from hell. Dehydration headaches a a beggar to shift for some reason

Yeah, i did a 25 miler (cycling) late July when it was baking hot. I also idiotically did it in the middle of the day time with no helmet.

Got home after cycling the last few miles through treacle (not literally) and proceeded to puke up for the next hour or so. 

Had to pick the kids up from school in the midst of this vomiting, that was a whole added dimension to the fun. The headaches were horrendous too, pretty certain i ended up with mild sunstroke.

Try mixing up your runs, go for a shorter distance but up your pace and push yourself. You'll find when you do a longer run you're quicker.

Or fartleks - but they fucking kill.

I think next time I'll do a 5k and see what my time is as my 1km times have dropped

fartleks, hehe.

Teehee

You are at the stage were 10km is a mental distance rather than a physical problem. Don't worry about pace, just slowly jog to 10km the first time you get there, this will also help with time on feet.

I agree with Rico about mixing up your runs but be careful of trying to run to quickly, this is when the niggles start.

As an aside it took me approx 14 months to get to 10 miles (massive mental barrier), the week after I ran 13.1 miles (half marathon distance) and the week after 15 miles. Once I had broken the barrier it was easy to continue.  

Because I did c25k I never much bothered with pace, just doing it but now I'm able to do runs I'm looking to best myself.  Great work on the 1/2 marathon!

I usually make sure I hydrate and always take a bottle out with me anyway as I suffer from Harry Kane Running Mouth so it's a dry as Ghandi's flipflop if I don't!

I run round the Crsoby marine lake which is lovely and cool when you're on the coastal path but when you get back in land there's no breeze, it was awful last night

Doing the Croxteth Hall parkrun tomorrow, anyone else do the parkruns?

You've really got the bug, haven't you?

I did the one near us for a little while. Everyone was very friendly. To be honest it was the loss of a lie in that did it for me. They're probably a distant memory for you. Sorry

• Upvote 1

Doing the Croxteth Hall parkrun tomorrow, anyone else do the parkruns?

I've done a few, as Champ says they are very friendly and have all types of runners. The winner of ours does it in 16 mins but there's loads that take 50 mins or more. The best thing is you just rock up and run. No registration or signing in.

• Upvote 1

You've really got the bug, haven't you?

I did the one near us for a little while. Everyone was very friendly. To be honest it was the loss of a lie in that did it for me. They're probably a distant memory for you. Sorry

I'm just trying to keep it up at least twice a week but if I go on the same routes too often I get bored and demotivated.  Been the same place last friday, sunday and weds so mixing it up a bit.  The park is only about 10 minutes drive from mine as well.  Looking at the results I'm smack bang in the middle time wise and about 200 people by the looks of it!

Oh a lie in...memories...

I've done a few, as Champ says they are very friendly and have all types of runners. The winner of ours does it in 16 mins but there's loads that take 50 mins or more. The best thing is you just rock up and run. No registration or signing in.

Times in the last one range from 17.54 - 53:39 so as you say looks like a nice mixture.  I've got a barcode thing so I'll scan on to get my time.  Really just looking to try and keep myself going

As I said, the Edinburgh one was very friendly. What I didn't say, as I didn't want to put Paulie off, was that it was also very quick. I'd run a fair events before I went to Parkrun and wasn't expecting the speed the pack went off at, all streaming past me, including little kids. When I plucked up the courage to look round there weren't that many behind me but once I'd got over the shock of it it was quite good fun having your run timed and comparing it each week.

Good to see that others have a greater range of abilities