You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

There are running threads, buggered if I can find them.

Since quitting smoking and putting weight on AND having a dodgy knee since last year I've done no running at all. A couple of friends of mine are running the York 10 in August and I'm gutted I'll be missing it. One of them has asked me to go & run round Roundhay Park lake (Leeds) with her tomorrow after work. I must be fucking mental. This could have "heart attack" written all over it.

Nice knowing most of you.

I`m so shit at running; my cardio is appalling even though I play a little bit of squash and go the gym I can't run without feeling like I`m about to collapse. I really want to get in to it myself though.

I tried a year ago and managed to do 3K without stopping... shit I know but it did feel like an achievement. Actually, I tried to start up again yesterday, installed run keeper on my phone and did two 1K runs without stopping. Why am I sharing these embarrassing stats.

It's not embarrassing mate, your're just used to using different muscle groups. I'm shit at most sports to be fair but I love running (not that I'm great at that either but I really enjoyed it until my knee went gammy).

If it's something you want to do, just stick to small distances regularly and build it up. Before you know it you'll be knocking out 5k's for fun.

Oops, just checked what I had written...wrote that first post from my phone on predictive....I've never heard of the 'game' ballot either. Shall I neg myself for raising your hopes? You checked the regular ballot route then I guess

I started running in January, from 2 stone overweight, stopped smoking biftas in October after 20 years of smoking and having done no serious physical exercise outside of walking (big walker to be fair) in 5 years.

It's going well, within a month was running 5k in 28mins. Then went on to do 10k in 55mins.

I've been doing interval training, now got 5k down to 20mins and 10k to 44mins.

Good luck, it's tough starting, but you quickly adapt. If I could give you one tip it would be the warm up, cool down and stretch properly.

Oops, just checked what I had written...wrote that first post from my phone on predictive....I've never heard of the 'game' ballot either. Shall I neg myself for raising your hopes? You checked the regular ballot route then I guess

Nah, it's ok, I thought it might have been a predictive mistake. I suppose i'll just have to go back to begging Bicycles for Blind Jewish Hermaphrodites for a place.

I started running in January, from 2 stone overweight, stopped smoking biftas in October after 20 years of smoking and having done no serious physical exercise outside of walking (big walker to be fair) in 5 years.

It's going well, within a month was running 5k in 28mins. Then went on to do 10k in 55mins.

Good luck, it's tough starting, but you quickly adapt. If I could give you one tip it would be the warm up, cool down and stretch properly.

Good effort all that mate. Warmups / downs and stretches piss me off. I'm never quite sure what to do and how long to do it for, never having run with anyone particularly 'into' running.

Good effort all that mate. Warmups / downs and stretches piss me off. I'm never quite sure what to do and how long to do it for, never having run with anyone particularly 'into' running.

I'm very much an amateur too. But just warm up by walking quickly/ jogging. Then stretching out hamstrings, touching toes, lunges, curling your leg back.

Then warm down by walking quickly for five mins, repeat the stretches plus a few more given to me by an Osteopath for a specific back problem.

I'm sure you could just google search a few routines. Makes helluva difference the next day though, defo do it as you're the wrong side of 30 like me. Prevents injury, keeps you bit more supple and stops the painful day after muscles.

I'll give that a go tomorrow RJ, cheers. Can't help thinking if I'd done all that before my knee wouldn't be fucked. Provided the ticker holds out I'll let you know how it goes. Roundhay Park lake is 1.5 miles. It's gonna fucking hurt after 18 months of sod all!

Guest ShoePiss

That's brilliant progress, how often are you running? 3/4 times a week?

I'll give that a go tomorrow RJ, cheers. Can't help thinking if I'd done all that before my knee wouldn't be fucked. Provided the ticker holds out I'll let you know how it goes. Roundhay Park lake is 1.5 miles. It's gonna fucking hurt after 18 months of sod all!

As I say no expert at all. I'm sure there's plenty on here who could advise a better warm up/down. God knows I should have researched it more myself.

But even that what I do, seems to stave off the worst of it. Well works for me like.

That's brilliant progress, how often are you running? 3/4 times a week?

Yeah, 4 usually. Maybe more the odd week. It's been hard yakka and as I say I'm a big walker too.

To be fair I have a high boredom threshold and always fancied myself as a bit of a runner as well. I can't see there is much more to give now. I'm pretty much at where I think I can go. Maybe a stone off might lower the time slightly. Anyway it's not my goal, but it's a bit addictive.

If you're struggling with your knees, I would highly recommend exercises for your quads.

Cheers. Where are my quads?

To be fair it's just my right knee which started off clicking and is more recently quite fond of grinding.

Your quads are the big group of muscles at the front of your thighs. Things like squats (but keep your knee in line with the foot) and even tensing and releasing the muscle repeatedly can do the job. There are far more and there's bound to be good exercises in the likes of Running Times and Runners World and various other websites.

The only warm up I've ever done...but I do it without fail following achilles problems years ago is what I call 5min run/walk when I start my run..ie walk for a minute run for a minute at regular pace for 5min and then continue running. At the end of a run I just walk for a minute or so. Doesnt seem to have done me any harm.

If you're starting from scratch I would start with a combination of walking and running intervals, gradually increasing the length of time of runs until you can run without stopping to walk in between. And dont be to hard on yourself...it can be a slow process.

Oh, and have fun