You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

And Week 8 is in the bag! The weeks are flying by.

Tues: 50 mins - 5.44 miles - 9.12 min per mile

Weds: 50 mins - 5.29 miles - 9.28 min per mile

Fri: 47 mins - 5.22 miles - 9.01 min per mile 

Today: Was 2 hr 30 mins or 14 miles, whichever came first. The 14 miles did!

2hr 9 mins 00 secs - 14 miles - 9.13 min per mile......Fucking hard work as really fucking warm.

Forward to Week 9 I go....

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

Had to do a 40 min run today.

It was 85 f when i did it. (29 c)

Covered 4.44 miles in the 40 mins at 9.01 per mile.

Fucking talk about sweating....

I have a 16 mile run to do on Sunday and forecast is even hotter.

Oh joy!

Early morning run? Really used to enjoy those in the summer.

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

Had to do a 40 min run today.

It was 85 f when i did it. (29 c)

Covered 4.44 miles in the 40 mins at 9.01 per mile.

Fucking talk about sweating....

I have a 16 mile run to do on Sunday and forecast is even hotter.

Oh joy!

It was brutal when I went about quarter to five this avvie. I literally couldnt have managed another 100 m when Id done my 5k.

Unless you're going early morning or evening, Id be wary of doing 16 mile on Sunday especially if you arent carry a running water bottle.

Just now, Mudface said:

Early morning run? Really used to enjoy those in the summer.

Sadly i am just not an early morning person.

It is a bad habit i know....but i am a night owl and a late riser - and it isn't gonna change!

I do in the hot weather in week usually try and get runs done by 11am....weekday runs are under an hour or an hour max usually...i just couldn't get out earlier than i did today....started work at 9 and was busy until 1.30.

The challenge on sunday is it is gonna take me around 2.5 hrs and i just know i won't start until say 10.30 at the earliest...so i won't avoid the heat.

It will be ok though...not ideal but ok.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is a bad habit i know....but i am a night owl and a late riser - and it isn't gonna change!

I do in the hot weather in week usually try and get runs done by 11am....weekday runs are under an hour or an hour max usually...i just couldn't get out earlier than i did today....started work at 9 and was busy until 1.30.

The challenge on sunday is it is gonna take me around 2.5 hrs and i just know i won't start until say 10.30 at the earliest...so i won't avoid the heat.

OK- can you plot a route that would at least take under shade for most of it? I used to have 3 or 4 different ones I'd use depending on mood or weather.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It was brutal when I went about quarter to five this avvie. I literally couldnt have managed another 100 m when Id done my 5k.

Unless you're going early morning or evening, Id be wary of doing 16 mile on Sunday especially if you arent carry a running water bottle.

It seems to be almost peak of heat around 4/5 nowadays.

Good work from you though today.

I'll be ok Sunday - i did 14 miles last Sun and it was red hot.

My mrs is gonna come and find me on route after i have been out for an hour or so with water - to drink and to pour over myself and again when i circle round after about 2....she has route i'll be running and we have agreed meeting point.

I have got into bad habits because i hate carrying a bottle of running without water...i did the 14 miles last sun without and i realised that was pushing it too far.

I also need to start practicing taking on fuel during long runs now over next few weeks as it ramps up to 20 miles or so and them tapers off ahead of marathon.

I need to practice hydration and fueling on these runs so get it right on big day.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

It seems to be almost peak of heat around 4/5 nowadays.

Good work from you though today.

I'll be ok Sunday - i did 14 miles last Sun and it was red hot.

My mrs is gonna come and find me on route after i have been out for an hour or so with water - to drink and to pour over myself and again when i circle round after about 2....she has route i'll be running and we have agreed meeting point.

I have got into bad habits because i hate carrying a bottle of running without water...i did the 14 miles last sun without and i realised that was pushing it too far.

I also need to start practicing taking on fuel during long runs now over next few weeks as it ramps up to 20 miles or so and them tapers off ahead of marathon.

I need to practice hydration and fueling on these runs so get it right on big day.

A good plan. Even athletes take on water for half and full marathons! You can get those nutrition gels in a tube but I dont know whether they're any good. Id maybe look to see about taking on some water before the hour mark because dehydration can be real nasty and can affect the brain and body very quickly.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, an tha said:

You should start sipping water approx 40 minutes in, whilst you will have run longer without drinking, it is a good habit to get into. I normally run with shorts with bigger pockets with a plastic bottle in each. Like most things, once settled in it seems perfectly normal and comfortable.

What time does your marathon start ? Ideally plan to start your long runs around the same so the body/mind gets use to it. 

Remember to enjoy it

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

You should start sipping water approx 40 minutes in, whilst you will have run longer without drinking, it is a good habit to get into. I normally run with shorts with bigger pockets with a plastic bottle in each. Like most things, once settled in it seems perfectly normal and comfortable.

What time does your marathon start ? Ideally plan to start your long runs around the same so the body/mind gets use to it. 

Remember to enjoy it

I really hate carrying anything at all.

I know i need to learn to and i will.

I am going to look at/work on hydration/fueling strategies as i have been doing it all a bit too 'hardcore' and it isn't right.

I did 14 miles last sun with no water - somehow set a PB!

But it isn't right i know.

I am doing London Marathon so its an earlyish start i believe 9-9.30 ish.

I usually start my weekly long run between 10.30 and 11 ish.

Usually manage to enjoy it, although do get a bit bored with my routes - i am for some reason though apprehensive about tomorrow - thinkni have been building it up too much....longest run i will have done since 2009.

I'll probably be sound once off and settled into it.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

A good plan. Even athletes take on water for half and full marathons! You can get those nutrition gels in a tube but I dont know whether they're any good. Id maybe look to see about taking on some water before the hour mark because dehydration can be real nasty and can affect the brain and body very quickly.

Deffo gonna be taking advice onboard.

I have bought a couple of those gels to give them a go - see how get on with them.

I got it done...it is in the tank.

Fuck me it was rough though....so fucking hot.

I drank about a pint and half of water during hour or so before going out.

Had a really cold shower just before going out and went out wet....

Mrs met me after 7 miles with water - one bottle to throw over self one to drink.....500ml

I had a gel after 10 miles.

Then she met me again when i got round to 14 miles with some more water.

I got the 16 miles done in just on 2hr 30 mins.

I'm fucking feeling it though.

Roll on Oct 2nd.....

• Upvote 4

So apologies for all the posts...but 1. I appreciate all the advice and 2. Posting progress in here helps me stay accountable and motivated!

So indulge me!

And Week 9 is now in the bag!

Tues: 50 mins - 5.22 miles - 9.35 min per mile

Weds: 60 mins - 6.47 miles - 9.16 min per mile

Fri: 40 mins - 4.44 miles - 9.01 min per mile 

Today: Was 2 hr 45 mins or 16 miles, whichever came first. The 16 miles did!

2hr 30 mins 14 secs - 16 miles - 9.23 min per mile......Fucking hard work as really, really hot.

Forward to Week 10 I go....

50 minutes ago, an tha said:

So apologies for all the posts...but 1. I appreciate all the advice and 2. Posting progress in here helps me stay accountable and motivated!

So indulge me!

And Week 9 is now in the bag!

Tues: 50 mins - 5.22 miles - 9.35 min per mile

Weds: 60 mins - 6.47 miles - 9.16 min per mile

Fri: 40 mins - 4.44 miles - 9.01 min per mile 

Today: Was 2 hr 45 mins or 16 miles, whichever came first. The 16 miles did!

2hr 30 mins 14 secs - 16 miles - 9.23 min per mile......Fucking hard work as really, really hot.

Forward to Week 10 I go....

Cool! Not the weather right now obviously although it's expected to break next week.

I could never get past 9 miles as lower back pain used to kick in. Always wanted a crack at the Great North Run but it wasnt to be as I have a rule of never breaking a run with a walk. It's start and run to the end wherever that might be.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Cool! Not the weather right now obviously although it's expected to break next week.

I could never get past 9 miles as lower back pain used to kick in. Always wanted a crack at the Great North Run but it wasnt to be as I have a rule of never breaking a run with a walk. It's start and run to the end wherever that might be.

As someone who used to run a lot but now injuryed or recoverying more than anything I  been looking into ways of staying healthier for longer, you may find this interesting;

https://marathonhandbook.com/run-walk-method/

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/

And Week 10 is in the bag! The weeks are really flying by.....6 weeks today i will be running the London Marathon!

Tues:  2 hr 37 mins - 16.07 miles - 9.46 min per mile

Thurs: 1 hr  - 6.77 miles - 8.52 min per mile

Fri: 30 mins - 3.14 miles - 9.34 min per mile 

Today: 1hr 30 mins - 9.38 miles - 9.36 min per mile

Forward to Week 11 I go....

• Upvote 1

Due to the heat and the local park I usually run in being partly closed for refurb, I've been running exclusively on a treadmill at the gym for the past couple of months. It definitely has its pluses, such as more accurate timing and pace, air-con, water to hand, no cunts walking their dogs on my path etc, but by fuck it gets boring pretty quick. A situation not helped by the fact that I'm currently in training to reach a goal I read about on some running forum or other a while back - 'Tontober', running 100k in a month, which is a substantial increase on what I was doing before. 

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Due to the heat and the local park I usually run in being partly closed for refurb, I've been running exclusively on a treadmill at the gym for the past couple of months. It definitely has its pluses, such as more accurate timing and pace, air-con, water to hand, no cunts walking their dogs on my path etc, but by fuck it gets boring pretty quick. A situation not helped by the fact that I'm currently in training to reach a goal I read about on some running forum or other a while back - 'Tontober', running 100k in a month, which is a substantial increase on what I was doing before. 

I began this reply reading the challenge as 100k over a week which looked like an almighty challenge and then made 100k over 4 and a bit weeks sound more than do-able

• Upvote 1