You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Well that is Week 1 of the 'official' marathon training done....16 week plan being followed.

Tues: 20 mins - 2.17 miles - 9.14 min per mile

Weds: 30 mins - 3.14 miles - 9.34 min per mile

Fri: 40 mins - 4.23 miles - 9.28 min per mile 

Today: 60 mins - 6.18 miles - 9.43 min per mile

Steady enough as all meant to be 'easy runs'.

• Upvote 1

On 12/06/2022 at 19:33, sir roger said:

Brother in Law is doing a run along Hadrians Wall next Saturday, 73 miles, 16 or17 hours.  Sheer insanity.

He had a nightmare.

The course was far more undulating than the organisers suggested and they changed the route so it had a lot more road running than the cross country aspect he expected, so he had the wrong type of trainers until he met up with his Mrs at the first stop on 20 miles. Has blisters like purple hard boiled eggs on both feet but he is a stubborn bugger and finally crawled over the finish line in the early hours.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He had a nightmare.

The course was far more undulating than the organisers suggested and they changed the route so it had a lot more road running than the cross country aspect he expected, so he had the wrong type of trainers until he met up with his Mrs at the first stop on 20 miles. Has blisters like purple hard boiled eggs on both feet but he is a stubborn bugger and finally crawled over the finish line in the early hours.

Lad is a fucking legend - just no frigging way could handle that 

On 19/06/2022 at 12:23, an tha said:

Well that is Week 1 of the 'official' marathon training done....16 week plan being followed.

Tues: 20 mins - 2.17 miles - 9.14 min per mile

Weds: 30 mins - 3.14 miles - 9.34 min per mile

Fri: 40 mins - 4.23 miles - 9.28 min per mile 

Today: 60 mins - 6.18 miles - 9.43 min per mile

Steady enough as all meant to be 'easy runs'.

Updating on here helps keeps me motivated so indulge me!!

Week 2 of the 'official training' is now done...

Tues: 30 mins - 3.14 miles - 9.33 min per mile

Weds: 40 mins - 4.31 miles - 9.17 min per mile

Fri: 40 mins - 4.14 miles - 9.41 min per mile 

Today: 70 mins - 7.26 miles - 9.38 min per mile

Quite pleased my long run of week being 10 mins longer than week 1 saw me run 5 secs a mile faster than week 1 long run.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 19:33, sir roger said:

Brother in Law is doing a run along Hadrians Wall next Saturday, 73 miles, 16 or17 hours.  Sheer insanity.

Why would you do it to yourself? 

A mate of a mate is currently half way through running from Lands End to John O’Groats. 

Taken a month off work and just has one lad driving a van to support him. 

Week 3 done and Week 4 started today.

Week 3 was made up of 30 min, 50 min, 35 min and 80 min runs....covered 20.33 miles in total over the 4 runs.

This week sees me with 35 mins (done today) 60 mins, 35 mins and 90 mins.

Holding up nicely so far.

• Upvote 2

4 'official weeks' of training done.

12 to go!

Week 4:

Tues: 35 mins - 3.59 miles - 9.45 min per mile

Weds: 60 mins - 6.15 miles - 9.46 min per mile

Fri: 35 mins - 3.68 miles - 9.31 min per mile 

Sunday: 90 mins - 9.26 miles - 9.43 min per mile

• Upvote 2

5 'official weeks' of training done.

11 to go!

Fucking hell today was tough!

This week was set as a 'lighter week to enable body to adapt to training needs' it starts to ramp up next week.

Week 5:

Tues: 20 mins - 2.10 miles - 9.31 min per mile

Weds: 30 mins -  3.16 miles - 9.31 min per mile

Fri: 20 mins -  2.26 miles - 8.51 min per mile 

Sunday: 60 mins - 6.66 miles - 9.01 min per mile

Good going that.

Did my first 7k for nearly 2 years on Friday in 51m 56s. Im about 5 minutes down on the times I used to do that distance but time eventually catches up with you.

I'll see how hot it is tomorrow about half 4ish before deciding what distance Im doing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Good going that.

Did my first 7k for nearly 2 years on Friday in 51m 56s. Im about 5 minutes down on the times I used to do that distance but time eventually catches up with you.

I'll see how hot it is tomorrow about half 4ish before deciding what distance Im doing.

Times aren't everything - getting the miles in is main thing!

I find around 3-5pm or so the hottest part of the day - if you can try and get out earlier or later.

I have a day off tomorrow - but got a 44 min run in plan on tuesday, when it is forecast to be hottest....need to get out early i think.

• Upvote 1

Fuck me! Just done my first 9k since god knows when. 71m 10s. Depressing in one way as I used to do 10k in nearly 10 minutes less! Good in one way though because without trawling back through my timekeeping book, I think it's the first time Ive run that distance in 3+ years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me! Just done my first 9k since god knows when. 71m 10s. Depressing in one way as I used to do 10k in nearly 10 minutes less! Good in one way though because without trawling back through my timekeeping book, I think it's the first time Ive run that distance in 3+ years.

Getting back on the horse and putting the miles in regularly will inevitably build your aerobic base back up and as that happens you'll start to get quicker.

You are heading in right direction. Just be careful not to do too much too soon - build up slowly but surely and make sure you factor in good recovery and if you can cross train.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Getting back on the horse and putting the miles in regularly will inevitably build your aerobic base back up and as that happens you'll start to get quicker.

You are heading in right direction. Just be careful not to do too much too soon - build up slowly but surely and make sure you factor in good recovery and if you can cross train.

Yeah good advice. Since lockdown Id been using a bike turbo trainer but it got boring staring at the garage door for upwards of 60 minutes on the bike. I mixed this with usually three 2.5km runs.

Ive recently been stepping up the running as the better weather has turned up mixed in with the odd 18 mile bike ride. I also do a 10 minute weight session with two 10kg small bar weights every morning to try and tighten my gut! Think Ive got arthritis in one elbow though as I get an occasional ache!

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah good advice. Since lockdown Id been using a bike turbo trainer but it got boring staring at the garage door for upwards of 60 minutes on the bike. I mixed this with usually three 2.5km runs.

Ive recently been stepping up the running as the better weather has turned up mixed in with the odd 18 mile bike ride. I also do a 10 minute weight session with two 10kg small bar weights every morning to try and tighten my gut! Think Ive got arthritis in one elbow though as I get an occasional ache!

Time remains undefeated - we can't beat it, the aches are gonna ache!

Like you i get bored on bikes and treadmills too - frigging hate using them....much prefer getting outside.

Weights are handy...try and focus if you can on compound lifts and pushes and pulls - they use the most and biggest muscle groups and stengthen you which then helps on the runs.

I am sure you know what you are doing, but i would advise not doing the weights everyday if you working the same muscle groups on each session - you do need the days off so you can recover and muscles can strengthen.

I made that mistake - i was doing full body workout sessions with weights everyday and it was killing me....i moved to every other day and i felt miles better and performed better.

Other way is of course to do different groups on different days, but i found that was still tiring on top of running and i have been much better doing this:

Sun: Run

Mon: Weights (full body)

Tues: Run

Weds: Run and Weights (full body)

Thurs: Rest Day 

Fri: Run

Sat: Weights (full body)

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Going to get back on the treadmill soon, let it slide while I have been moving house.

Outside not really an option at present as Cadent and Openreach appear to have turned Burscough into a parkour course.

Go for it.

the office parkour | Office parkour, The office, Office gifs

• Upvote 1

Week 6 is in the bag!

Been some fucking tough runs with the heat this week.

Tues: 40 mins - 4.49 miles - 8.54 min per mile

Weds: 44 mins - 5.04 miles - 8.44 min per mile

Fri: 50 mins - 5.25 miles - 9.31 min per mile 

Today: Was 1hr 45 or 10 miles, whichever came first. The 10 miles did!

1hr 31mins 47 secs - 10 miles - 9.11 min per mile.

Onto Week 7 I go....

• Upvote 3

And Week 7 is in the bag!

Tues: 45 mins - 5.01 miles - 8.59 min per mile

Weds: 40 mins - 4.26 miles - 9.23 min per mile

Fri: 46 mins - 5.06 miles - 9.07 min per mile 

Today: Was 2 hr 10 mins  or  12 miles, whichever came first. The 12 miles did!

1hr 52 mins 28 secs - 12 miles - 9.23 min per mile.

Onto Week 8 I go....

• Upvote 3