You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

2 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Haha, I wouldn't say amazing but it is giving me motivation (I even took my running gear to Lanzarote the other week and managed to get out every morning of our holiday - would never have dreamt of doing that in the past). I only started really getting into running at the start of lockdown  - I had done a little bit of running in 2019 and I had done a couple of parkruns at that stage. I have been working from home right through so it was a reason to get out of the house each day and "away from the desk" and have Croxteth Park literally on my doorstep. Its now just become routine and a change of lifestyle (especially as I turned 50 last year) - I lost 2.5 stone from March to July last year and have managed to keep the weight off. Had a few leg issues this week with two runs finishing with pins and needles so I thought the streak would be over but today was day 257 and in the back of my mind now I am aiming for 365 days. Finished 52nd in parkrun the other week out of just on 400 people and brought my PB down to 22:35. Running my first official half marathon later this month - looking forward to that!

22:35 for a 5k is very decent.

I am 50 early next year and my best is just under 25.

• 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I did that couch to 5k again a few weeks back. Is it normal for your abdominals to start freaking out? I was getting bladder tensions and all sorts which I'd initially assigned to anxiety, but it cleared up when I'd stopped running.

Depends on how long a lay off you had. I find it's always a good thing to have a piss before going for a run even if you really dont feel like you need one. More so a shit if needed.

You might say how to you pee if you dont feel like it? Unless your bladder really is totally empty, it's a question of relaxing for 30 - 60 seconds over the bog!

If you're gulping air when runnin rather than trying to breath deep and regular, you can literally swallow air that builds in your stomach and make you feel uncomfortable when running.

I find mainly it is joints aches that gives me grief when running but just go in my own time rather than eye balls out.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Depends on how long a lay off you had. I find it's always a good thing to have a piss before going for a run even if you really dont feel like you need one. More so a shit if needed.

You might say how to you pee if you dont feel like it? Unless your bladder really is totally empty, it's a question of relaxing for 30 - 60 seconds over the bog!

If you're gulping air when runnin rather than trying to breath deep and regular, you can literally swallow air that builds in your stomach and make you feel uncomfortable when running.

I find mainly it is joints aches that gives me grief when running but just go in my own time rather than eye balls out.

With me it was more the stomach muscles, they seemed to be pressing down on my bladder randomly throughout the day, or when I was doing wieghts that impacted on my abs, but it stopped when I laid off the running.

It's like it'd made the muscles tender of weak. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

With me it was more the stomach muscles, they seemed to be pressing down on my bladder randomly throughout the day, or when I was doing wieghts that impacted on my abs, but it stopped when I laid off the running.

It's like it'd made the muscles tender of weak. 

It's possible you overstrained some muscles doing too many weights and running soon after?

I do some hand weight sessions each morning but I dont go for a run until after 4pm and only 3 or 4 times a week. Similarly, I prefer to do a run no sooner than a good 2 hours after having a light lunch.

It's possible you were doing a little too much especially if you've had even a couple of weeks break between running sessions and it's surprising how quickly you can feel the effects of a break especially as you get older!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's possible you overstrained some muscles doing too many weights and running soon after?

I do some hand weight sessions each morning but I dont go for a run until after 4pm and only 3 or 4 times a week. Similarly, I prefer to do a run no sooner than a good 2 hours after having a light lunch.

It's possible you were doing a little too much especially if you've had even a couple of weeks break between running sessions and it's surprising how quickly you can feel the effects of a break especially as you get older!

Yeah I was jogging then doing weights in each session, I'm gonna split them up when I go back through.

Got back to it after reverting to my default of lazy fat bastard. Much harder with 7kg extra.

Still, ran a 10k 2 weeks ago in 1:04, and on this morning in 56 mins. Aiming to shift 12kg total and get my 10k sub 45 mins by September. Achieving the first will make the latter a breeze, if I can do it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Got back to it after reverting to my default of lazy fat bastard. Much harder with 7kg extra.

Still, ran a 10k 2 weeks ago in 1:04, and on this morning in 56 mins. Aiming to shift 12kg total and get my 10k sub 45 mins by September. Achieving the first will make the latter a breeze, if I can do it.

Doing a 10k in sub 45 minutes for a non club runner is going great.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Doing a 10k in sub 45 minutes for a non club runner is going great.

I run with someone faster than me so most runs im busting myself. I tend to see decent progress because of this I think. But it can be torture.

B8CIsXH.jpg

I got 48mins last year before i fell off the wagon 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, an tha said:

Been right back at it recently after a period of not doing much 

Clocked over 100k so far in March - will probably get another 20 in before Friday.

That's great volume, I'm jealous. Only managed a couple runs a week. Hopefully will be able to maintain 3 runs and 3 weights sessions for a few months.

I start running again tomorrow for the first time in years. I'm incredibly out of shape, having stuck weight on after quitting cigs 6 months ago. Gonna have to start on a bloody couch to 5k and it's going to really hurt for a couple of weeks but here goes...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I start running again tomorrow for the first time in years. I'm incredibly out of shape, having stuck weight on after quitting cigs 6 months ago. Gonna have to start on a bloody couch to 5k and it's going to really hurt for a couple of weeks but here goes...

Make sure you have some good running shoes, not trainers, unless you're going to do all the running on grass. And take it easy else you may get muscle pulls etc!

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Make sure you have some good running shoes, not trainers, unless you're going to do all the running on grass. And take it easy else you may get muscle pulls etc!

I know mate, I started this behemoth of a thread 10 years ago. I've got running shoes but you make a fair point about taking it easy. 10 years older ain't gonna help me much!

27 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Good luck and godspeed. The first 3-5 runs are the hardest. After that I find them less torturous and small steady improvements add to motivation. 

• Upvote 1

Slowly getting some fitness back. Managed a sub 30 min 3 miles, which while not great is a good improvement from start of the year.

My problem is I set off too fast( for me) so i'll do a mile in 8.50 then have to walk for a minute. Despite doing this every time and being aware I then do it again 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I run with someone faster than me so most runs im busting myself. I tend to see decent progress because of this I think. But it can be torture.

B8CIsXH.jpg

I got 48mins last year before i fell off the wagon 

Even I could get down to 48 minutes if I was on a wagon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

That's great volume, I'm jealous. Only managed a couple runs a week. Hopefully will be able to maintain 3 runs and 3 weights sessions for a few months.

That is a good balance to aim for that - 3 runs and 3 weight sessions a week with 1 rest day.

Just looked and the 100k has come from 14 runs so a run every other day basically.

Fell just short of 100 in Feb with 96k - only 10 runs though.

Just knocked out a 14km run....longest run since started again last winter.

Not exactly fast took me 80 mins...but made up to go out and cover so much ground/time - felt like could have run all day today....only set out to do an hour, but just kept going - only stopped as had to get back to work!

16 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Slowly getting some fitness back. Managed a sub 30 min 3 miles, which while not great is a good improvement from start of the year.

My problem is I set off too fast( for me) so i'll do a mile in 8.50 then have to walk for a minute. Despite doing this every time and being aware I then do it again 

You're only just over a minute down for mile 2 and 3 so not that bad. But I know what you mean, sometimes starting out slower seems to use more energy than when you're bouncing along!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

I was going to start running but my fitbit that I got for Christmas has stopped charging and I thought, what's the point.

Stop watch, 4 quid from fleabay. So cheap you can just buy a new one when the battery goes if the screwheads round off when you try to open it up as happened with my last one that lasted about 4 years!

Doesnt give my heart rate but does splits, countdowns or just bog standard start to stop. That's all I use!

Never looked in this thread before.

Was pretty sporty in the past, played competitive club Tennis and 11 aside at the weekend and all the training that came with it. A bad back and months of physio led to me knocking it all on the head as the bad days were too much. 

Mostly get my exercise from long walks but as few have mentioned it’s time consuming. 

My son asked for a treadmill so it’s come in handy for pacy walks particularly when it’s dark and wet. I started running a little bit and the back held up pretty well, I hit it really hard which in hindsight was a bad idea as I suffered issues with my shins and thought I would have to stop which was demotivating. 

So after making more of an effort stretching and icing afterwards plus slowing down by following the Couch to 5k, I’m on week 8 and poodling along quite nicely. I ran for 40 mins on Sunday without stopping which I’d have never dreamed of last year. 

Im hoping my back holds out as I’m really enjoying it. 

• Upvote 3