You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Did one of those 5k Parkruns today.

Dead on 26 mins.

Not a great course....really narrow and so hard to get going for first 5 mins or so, literally stuck behind people unable to pass/banged into etc 

Also a very windey course and through some rough terrain - but a nice little saturday morning blow - first time ran 'competitively' (as muchbas it is) since 2009.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I’m running the London Marathon for The Firefighters Charity and Alzheimer’s Research Uk on October 3rd. Training has been hit and miss; I overtrained and gave myself a calf tear in July which cost me 6 weeks, so unfortunately I’ve got no leeway to do the tapering thing. I’m still trying to get the longer distances in my legs. 

Anyway, if anyone is feeling generous and could spare a donation to one charity or other or even both, my fundraising page is www.JustGiving.com/team/morrellmarathon2021

All gratefully received!

Did my first ever Parkrun this morning, at Highbury Fields London. I didn't finish last, which is always a plus. I was surprised to learn that they not only record your time, but where you finished in the field, along with age category. Pretty impressive stuff.

I recorded the run on both my Nike Run Club app and my Garmin watch, which threw up another issue I though I'd resolved. Up till a few months back all my times and distances were recorded on the app, then I got the watch, which suddenly put my times for distances back by 5% to 10% (eg: 5k in 35mins rather than 30mins at the same pace). I'd begrudgingly accepted the watch as more accurate as it seemed to tally more with times on treadmills, but today the app was spot on with the distance the Parkrun organisers recorded while the watch was 200 metres out!

I need to measure both on a track to find out one way or the other.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Did my first ever Parkrun this morning, at Highbury Fields London. I didn't finish last, which is always a plus. I was surprised to learn that they not only record your time, but where you finished in the field, along with age category. Pretty impressive stuff.

I recorded the run on both my Nike Run Club app and my Garmin watch, which threw up another issue I though I'd resolved. Up till a few months back all my times and distances were recorded on the app, then I got the watch, which suddenly put my times for distances back by 5% to 10% (eg: 5k in 35mins rather than 30mins at the same pace). I'd begrudgingly accepted the watch as more accurate as it seemed to tally more with times on treadmills, but today the app was spot on with the distance the Parkrun organisers recorded while the watch was 200 metres out!

I need to measure both on a track to find out one way or the other.

Use plotaroute.com, then you can just use a stopwatch (or the application on your phone). As long as you aren't that arsed about splits, etc.

I ended up fucking off my smartwatch. Was sick of how unreliable, and miles off runkeeper on my phone, it was. Runkeeper on my phone is far more accurate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Use plotaroute.com, then you can just use a stopwatch (or the application on your phone). As long as you aren't that arsed about splits, etc.

I ended up fucking off my smartwatch. Was sick of how unreliable, and miles off runkeeper on my phone, it was. Runkeeper on my phone is far more accurate.

Cheers, I'll give them a try.

Weird one.

I usually run 10/12 km three times a week and am generally in good shape, stick me on a bike I can go all day, swimming the same. I work out most days and with weights and movement I am more than comfortable.

I'm in decent shape.

But over the past month or two it feels like, in sportmans terms, my legs have gone.

I can't get over 3/4 km without thinking 'fuck it' and ten minutes on a static bike now and I'm off.

I don't know if it's psychological or not, but it's really frustrating, I just can get my legs specifically to do what I want for long enough, they just feel heavy.

Any ideas?

Just now, Mudface said:

Is it actually your body in that you're physically fucked, or is it just mental? I've had loads of occasions where 'the body is willing but the spirit is weak' and just can't be arsed to push myself and do what I know I can do.

I'm really not sure hence me putting it out.

I think it's mental, but my legs feel so heavy that everything is just a slog, whereas previously I could knock out 10k without thinking, now from the first few minutes I'm arguing with myself on stopping as my legs feel so heavy.

Odd all round and wondering if anybody had had similar.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I'm really not sure hence me putting it out.

I think it's mental, but my legs feel so heavy that everything is just a slog, whereas previously I could knock out 10k without thinking, now from the first few minutes I'm arguing with myself on stopping as my legs feel so heavy.

Odd all round and wondering if anybody had had similar.

Yes, loads of times, but the majority of them were due to something transient like lack of sleep/ too much sleep, a heavy night smoking and drinking in the recent past etc, and I would feel a bit 'off' anyway, regardless of exercise. Yours sounds more sustained from what you've said. 

Assuming you're doing leading a similar lifestyle and running at a comparable pace to before at a similar time of day, could it be something obvious like not warming up enough and in particular cooling down properly at the end? My missus is a fitness instructor and taught me how to cool down properly and it makes a big difference. Also, I've often found I feel grim as fuck after 5-10 minutes of aerobic exercise and have to really grit my teeth- 5 minutes later and I feel fine as I settle into things and my body gets used to it. Might be something like that maybe?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yes, loads of times, but the majority of them were due to something transient like lack of sleep/ too much sleep, a heavy night smoking and drinking in the recent past etc, and I would feel a bit 'off' anyway, regardless of exercise. Yours sounds more sustained from what you've said. 

Assuming you're doing leading a similar lifestyle and running at a comparable pace to before at a similar time of day, could it be something obvious like not warming up enough and in particular cooling down properly at the end? My missus is a fitness instructor and taught me how to cool down properly and it makes a big difference. Also, I've often found I feel grim as fuck after 5-10 minutes of aerobic exercise and have to really grit my teeth- 5 minutes later and I feel fine as I settle into things and my body gets used to it. Might be something like that maybe?

Thanks for that, but pretty much everything is the same, I always warm up/down, shoes the same etc. just me that's changed.

It's kind of like my legs have just said 'fuck this, we don't do this anymore' and there's nothing I can do about it.

Like I said previously, It's like my legs have gone.

I'm late thirties, fit and live a pretty healthy lifestyle.

Just odd.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

Thanks for that, but pretty much everything is the same, I always warm up/down, shoes the same etc. just me that's changed.

It's kind of like my legs have just said 'fuck this, we don't do this anymore' and there's nothing I can do about it.

Like I said previously, It's like my legs have gone.

I'm late thirties, fit and live a pretty healthy lifestyle.

Just odd.

IT'S THE VACCINE.

Dunno mate, might be worth getting a quick health check-up?

On 24/09/2021 at 20:58, GR10 LFC said:

Pretty chuffed to have reached this land mark today - 250 consecutive days of running at least 5km a day. Tempted to try and push for 365 now…..

88F8C614-410E-40D0-87E3-1A5DF766C6C6.jpeg

Thats bloody impressive- do you literally feel amazing? Endorphine central every day?

Be honest!

19 hours ago, Dave D said:

Thats bloody impressive- do you literally feel amazing? Endorphine central every day?

Be honest!

Haha, I wouldn't say amazing but it is giving me motivation (I even took my running gear to Lanzarote the other week and managed to get out every morning of our holiday - would never have dreamt of doing that in the past). I only started really getting into running at the start of lockdown  - I had done a little bit of running in 2019 and I had done a couple of parkruns at that stage. I have been working from home right through so it was a reason to get out of the house each day and "away from the desk" and have Croxteth Park literally on my doorstep. Its now just become routine and a change of lifestyle (especially as I turned 50 last year) - I lost 2.5 stone from March to July last year and have managed to keep the weight off. Had a few leg issues this week with two runs finishing with pins and needles so I thought the streak would be over but today was day 257 and in the back of my mind now I am aiming for 365 days. Finished 52nd in parkrun the other week out of just on 400 people and brought my PB down to 22:35. Running my first official half marathon later this month - looking forward to that!

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

Haha, I wouldn't say amazing but it is giving me motivation (I even took my running gear to Lanzarote the other week and managed to get out every morning of our holiday - would never have dreamt of doing that in the past). I only started really getting into running at the start of lockdown  - I had done a little bit of running in 2019 and I had done a couple of parkruns at that stage. I have been working from home right through so it was a reason to get out of the house each day and "away from the desk" and have Croxteth Park literally on my doorstep. Its now just become routine and a change of lifestyle (especially as I turned 50 last year) - I lost 2.5 stone from March to July last year and have managed to keep the weight off. Had a few leg issues this week with two runs finishing with pins and needles so I thought the streak would be over but today was day 257 and in the back of my mind now I am aiming for 365 days. Finished 52nd in parkrun the other week out of just on 400 people and brought my PB down to 22:35. Running my first official half marathon later this month - looking forward to that!

Haha, I took my stuff on a holiday to Spain with the idea I'd go for a run along the beach front each morning before everyone else got up. In the end, I did two 15 minute sessions on a static bike in the hotel gym over 12 days and that was it.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

Running on holiday does seem mad but I can see how it could develop-  It can be addictive- I went through a phase where if I didnt do it I would be irritable.

I started running in the first lockdown for much the same reason as you but unusually opted for running along streets/hard surfaces and my knee suddenly swelled so much that I couldnt bend it.

Ive fallen off the wagon now so to speak.    

Going to try and get back into the swing of it pre-Christmas    

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Haha, I took my stuff on a holiday to Spain with the idea I'd go for a run along the beach front each morning before everyone else got up. In the end, I did two 15 minute sessions on a static bike in the hotel gym over 12 days and that was it.

Went to Mexico in 2017 and managed to make it to the gym on all but 2 of the 14 days. I never aaw a single other bloke in there but some days it was like the ' Call on Me ' video. The Mrs starting getting taken aback when ridiculously gorgeous young women were waving or smiling at me around the pool. 

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

Running on holiday does seem mad but I can see how it could develop-  It can be addictive- I went through a phase where if I didnt do it I would be irritable.

I started running in the first lockdown for much the same reason as you but unusually opted for running along streets/hard surfaces and my knee suddenly swelled so much that I couldnt bend it.

Ive fallen off the wagon now so to speak.    

Going to try and get back into the swing of it pre-Christmas    

Doing an early run makes you feel like you have earned your full brekky afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sir roger said:

Went to Mexico in 2017 and managed to make it to the gym on all but 2 of the 14 days. I never aaw a single other bloke in there but some days it was like the ' Call on Me ' video. The Mrs starting getting taken aback when ridiculously gorgeous young women were waving or smiling at me around the pool. 

Excellent, that's the sort of motivation I need...

• Upvote 1