You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

I mentioned a week or so ago that I was getting pain between my heel and calf after running, played 8 a side on Monday, and all was good, went to do 10k on Wednesday managed 1k and started to feel it again so stopped. Going to give it a rest for a few weeks and stick to cycling see if it goes away. Did 30 mile today on my road bike with no pain at all.

• Upvote 1

Just now, John102 said:

Downloaded the couch to 5k and bought myself some umbro kecks. First run tonight. 

What apps do people use to tell them how far they have run, or is it just a case of planning a 5k route before hand? 

Good luck.

The nike one is good.

You won't need it until you finish the couch to 5k programme though.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just general age mate, did a 3 mile run a few weeks ago, first one in ages and the next day I felt like I had powdered glass in my joints, just isn’t worth it anymore. Madness to think I was running half marathons 7 years ago in little over one hour forty. When it all catches up with you boy does it catch up. You’re going well though, keep it up mate there’s no feeling like it.

Shame if you enjoy it loads.....would biking replace it maybe, less impact?

I am loving it....the challenge starts if and when the ale houses open!

44 minutes ago, John102 said:

Downloaded the couch to 5k and bought myself some umbro kecks. First run tonight. 

What apps do people use to tell them how far they have run, or is it just a case of planning a 5k route before hand? 

I use Strata for biking and running, not sure about other apps but Strata maps your route and places you amongst other users who have ran the same route so you can see your progress and aim to beat others.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Did you do it? How did you find it? 

I did.

It was sound.

It might seem early doors like it is a bit too easy, but if starting from scratch like i was it is good.

It tells you all you need to do, when to run and when to walk and it is all about the time and the sets as opposed to distance.

Once you get to last 3 weeks or so, you are doing 1 longish run - 20 mins then 25 then 30 in last week.

Worked well for me.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

I did.

It was sound.

It might seem early doors like it is a bit too easy, but if starting from scratch like i was it is good.

It tells you all you need to do, when to run and when to walk and it is all about the time and the sets as opposed to distance.

Once you get to last 3 weeks or so, you are doing 1 longish run - 20 mins then 25 then 30 in last week.

Worked well for me.

Just back from my first one now. The app crashed on my first run, so i ran until i nearly collapsed before i noticed. Reset it and from then on it was fine. 

Was considering skipping the first couple of weeks, certainly the first, but i think after tonight's efforts i will do it as intended.

48 minutes ago, John102 said:

Just back from my first one now. The app crashed on my first run, so i ran until i nearly collapsed before i noticed. Reset it and from then on it was fine. 

Was considering skipping the first couple of weeks, certainly the first, but i think after tonight's efforts i will do it as intended.

I'd suggest doing as it sets it.....if it feels easy then rattle through it by doing it every day instead of every other day until starts to get a bit tougher then move to every othrer day.

3 sessions gets you through a 'week'

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm going to redo couch to 5k or something. My lungs are much fitter than my knees so I end up running further than my knees like but they don't like to tell me untill the next day and so far they've been telling me for the last week. I need to ease my knees into it 

2 hours ago, John102 said:

The point of the first few weeks is to get your body and mind into a routine and not damage the body so you can continue. 

When you land, between 3 and 4 times your body weight goes through your leg joints, so anything around a third of a tonne. You will land approx 90 times per foot per minute when running. So whilst running for 2 mins and then walking for 3 mins x4 may not seem to benefit, it is a lot better initially than running for 20 minutes, as it slowly increases the impacts and decreases the recovery.

5 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I mentioned a week or so ago that I was getting pain between my heel and calf after running, played 8 a side on Monday, and all was good, went to do 10k on Wednesday managed 1k and started to feel it again so stopped. Going to give it a rest for a few weeks and stick to cycling see if it goes away. Did 30 mile today on my road bike with no pain at all.

Football normally puts more strain in the legs than running, think interval training as opposed to steady running. Hopefully this means it is a relatively easy fix. 

Stretching calves after runs is essential, as the Achilles tightens, which causes you to land on your heel more, which causes pain. 

Also shoes are massively important, don't know if you wore different ones for football, they are designed to provide support but only have a limited life, approx 500 miles. Also make sure your laces are as tight as possible during your runs. I say this, because I would leave my laces slack, so I could slip shoes on and off quickly, and it caused all sorts of ankle/achilles issues. I only changed when I asked a physio, he saw my shoes and asked "are they always that loose!" Then pointed out my obvious mistake, they are designed to support the ankles, but won't if they are loose.

Ideally stretch everyday, but if only some, the calves. If you wake in the morning and your heels hurt/stiff but gradually loosen as you move about, it is an indication that you need to stretch. 

I can always find time for running and if it is going really well I may even add an extra 30 mins. Yet I could never find time for stretching post run. After many, many years I realised if I wanted to run more I needed to stretch more. I now always stretch at least 6 mins after every run, all to help the calves and ankles 

• Upvote 1

On 03/04/2021 at 00:36, Scooby Dudek said:

The point of the first few weeks is to get your body and mind into a routine and not damage the body so you can continue. 

When you land, between 3 and 4 times your body weight goes through your leg joints, so anything around a third of a tonne. You will land approx 90 times per foot per minute when running. So whilst running for 2 mins and then walking for 3 mins x4 may not seem to benefit, it is a lot better initially than running for 20 minutes, as it slowly increases the impacts and decreases the recovery.

Thanks for advice, it makes sense. Ankle was sore yesterday but feels OK today, so will get number 2 in and hopefully get my legs used to it all again soon. 

Don't do running but walking is currently my thing.

Did 20 miles yesterday which is my longest in several years.

After any long walk and particularly last night I feel absolutely fucking freezing and have bad shivers for quite a while. It's only a really hot bath which sorts it out

Anybody have similar after running and any good advice in dealing with it?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Twenty miles is a long way matty , how long did that take ?

7.5 hours, SR, with a few stops on the way.

Was meant to be 12.5 miles but my mate who was doing the navigation fucked up. He's Welsh 

I blame myself

• Upvote 1