You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Started week 8 today...

3 x 28 min runs.

First time over 25....found it ok.

Pretty much there now...2 x 28 min runs left then 3 x 30 mins in final week.

Think will keep to 30 min runs after that for a while and book a 5k in when (if) they are available in Summer.

Nice one- you'll be looking on Park Run for a local 5K? They're free, well organised and good fun.

• Upvote 1

So downloaded the nike running app and set a target distance of 5k today.....in fucking awful conditions in my defence pissing down and dead windy.

Managed to complete the 5k in a bit of a disappointing time of 30:12.

I thought i'd get inside 30, but it was horrible out and i did have a problem where music crashed on phone and had to fuck about with it whilst running so that cost me time and i hadn't got app settings right to tell me when down to last 250m so i could put a "sprint" (using term loosely) finish in.

Sure i can do under 30 next time.

Felt good though - longest run since 2009.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Right, before I go down the route of Google and actual medical opinion I thought I'd check in here, obviously.

I have been struggling the last few weeks with an injury out of nowhere. I do regular 10k runs, usually two or three a week however a few weeks ago I went out on a Monday and felt discomfort in my right heel area, kind of from the bottom on my calf down , next day struggling to walk pain free when my right leg is not leading my stride, went away after a few days, last week went and did 5K and got the same, this Monday back to 10k and same again, discomfort for a few days.

Any regular runners get this? Am I just getting old? Can't be doing with only one run a week!

On 24/03/2021 at 12:42, manwiththestick said:

Right, before I go down the route of Google and actual medical opinion I thought I'd check in here, obviously.

I have been struggling the last few weeks with an injury out of nowhere. I do regular 10k runs, usually two or three a week however a few weeks ago I went out on a Monday and felt discomfort in my right heel area, kind of from the bottom on my calf down , next day struggling to walk pain free when my right leg is not leading my stride, went away after a few days, last week went and did 5K and got the same, this Monday back to 10k and same again, discomfort for a few days.

Any regular runners get this? Am I just getting old? Can't be doing with only one run a week!

Bummers heel. 

On 24/03/2021 at 12:42, manwiththestick said:

Your Achilles tendon connects your calf to your heel so it sounds like that. If it is you'll just have to rest it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

32 for 5k today I'm still having knee pain so I was only going to run 2.5k and walk the rest but I was watching justice league and got distracted now I feel like Tom cruise in born on the 4th of July.

Nice.

Went out today and ran 7k...longest run yet.

Previously was 6k...been building up slowly.

Did 7k in 40.54...which is 5.51 per km...i am happy with that for now..each km was under 6.

Feeling dead proud of myself today.

Decided was time to step up to 10k...previous furthest had run was 7k.

Managed it and surprisingly felt ok with it.

Only thing is i wanted and expected to do it in just under an hour but ended up 1.02.

Thing is i realised too late i had been running too conservatively...i was afraid of blowing self out and not lasting distance, but took it too far.

I turned off the voice reminders of how far had gone etc but next time will use voice them again so know how far/fast.

I just ran until i thought in my head was close an hour and only checked then which turned out to actually be 56.5 mins and just about 9k.  

So i then ran last km in under 6 mins....5.50

Need to know pace better...too much left in tank, if i can run under 6 min for a km after running 9k i can surely run closer to 6 per km than did over distance.

My usual 5k pace is now about 5.54....obviously 6 per km over 10km is the hour mark...that is next target then!

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

After running about 400km between November and February, I jacked it in (thanks to a slight anxiety breakdown, fun).

Got back out last night for 4 miles. Slower than before by a good bit, but it was surprisingly enjoyable and nothing hurts. Yay.

With a fair wind you should be home by June.

• Upvote 4

On 01/04/2021 at 08:41, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

After running about 400km between November and February, I jacked it in (thanks to a slight anxiety breakdown, fun).

Got back out last night for 4 miles. Slower than before by a good bit, but it was surprisingly enjoyable and nothing hurts. Yay.

Nice work...bet feels good.

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

2 minutes is a big slice to take off. Well done. Wish I could still run, one of the few things I was good at.

Injuries stopped you?

Yeah pleased with 2 mins....boils down to being too cautious in past and sticking to around 6 min a km (just under) in fear of blowing up.

The 10k i did recently taught me that i can do 5 quicker than have been so i ran with more freedom today over 5 and felt more confident i could push it a bit more and not blow up....end result 25 seconds ish quicker per km.

Just general age mate, did a 3 mile run a few weeks ago, first one in ages and the next day I felt like I had powdered glass in my joints, just isn’t worth it anymore. Madness to think I was running half marathons 7 years ago in little over one hour forty. When it all catches up with you boy does it catch up. You’re going well though, keep it up mate there’s no feeling like it.

• Upvote 1