You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Been doing that couch to 5k app lark.

Had to have a week off due to covid, but just about to finish 'week 4'.

It starts to ramp up pretty heavily after this week.

Goes from current:

Warm up 5 min walk

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Walk 2.5 mins

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Warm down 5 min walk

To a 20 min run in space of 3 sessions.

Not sure how gonna handle that.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Goes from current:

Warm up 5 min walk

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Walk 2.5 mins

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Warm down 5 min walk

Sounds good that. Not that I'm any type of expert on running but legendary boxing trainer Angelo Dundee would only let his fighters run for approx 3 miles and he trained 15 world champions, although they obviously did other fitness work on top of roadwork. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-05-10-0505100156-story.html

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Goes from current:

Warm up 5 min walk

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Walk 2.5 mins

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Warm down 5 min walk

Finished the BBC version a couple of months back and agree sometimes the levelling up of distances was a bit erratic.

I used Michael Johnson as my mentor , and one of the highlights of my day was his honeyed tones telling me I had finished , well done and to go get a bannanna.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Goes from current:

Warm up 5 min walk

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Walk 2.5 mins

Run 3 mins

Walk 90 secs

Run 5 mins

Warm down 5 min walk

Yeah, I remember looking at that and thinking, 'Hmmm....'. It's not actually that bad though, you'll be surprised at what you're capable of. If you do find it too difficult, just drop back and repeat the previous week a couple of times, then try again, it'll come.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Finished the BBC version a couple of months back and agree sometimes the levelling up of distances was a bit erratic.

I used Michael Johnson as my mentor , and one of the highlights of my day was his honeyed tones telling me I had finished , well done and to go get a bannanna.

I read that three times before realising you weren't referring to Michael Jackson...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, I remember looking at that and thinking, 'Hmmm....'. It's not actually that bad though, you'll be surprised at what you're capable of. If you do find it too difficult, just drop back and repeat the previous week a couple of times, then try again, it'll come.

Good advice , and I did repeat a week after a boozy spell.

I had some level of fitness though and was not massively overweight and wondered whether it would be suitable for anybody much older or much more overweight even though it says it is adapted for anybody.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Good advice , and I did repeat a week after a boozy spell.

I had some level of fitness though and was not massively overweight and wondered whether it would be suitable for anybody much older or much more overweight even though it says it is adapted for anybody.

I'd imagine there's a limit, if you're morbidly obese or have heart trouble, I'm sure you'd have to address that first. For most people though if you can walk a few hundred yards without difficulty, then you will be ok.

Went out last night after a week off with a fucked back, feeling OK again. Didn't quite hit the mark I wanted but still got a new pb of 48:18 for my 10k. Was aiming for sub 48 so still happy with it. Overall target is still <45mins but I'm still carrying 10kg+ so will take some time to get there.

Went out tonight for 4 recovery miles at a slow pace. Nice slow runs where you can hold a conversation are absolutely heaven after a more challenging one.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Went out last night after a week off with a fucked back, feeling OK again. Didn't quite hit the mark I wanted but still got a new pb of 48:18 for my 10k. Was aiming for sub 48 so still happy with it. Overall target is still <45mins but I'm still carrying 10kg+ so will take some time to get there.

Went out tonight for 4 recovery miles at a slow pace. Nice slow runs where you can hold a conversation are absolutely heaven after a more challenging one.

Fucking Speedy Gonzalez here!

I can only dream of a time like that!

Good going!

6 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Fucking Speedy Gonzalez here!

I can only dream of a time like that!

Good going!

Thanks, but honestly about 4/5 months ago I started by running 3 miles, at 10 minute miles and just built from there. And it was fucking killing me to get that pace.

The biggest change I've made this time, over other 5 times I've tried to 'get into' running is just going out more (and finding a like minded running mate has almost been like cheat mode. Wouldn't be anywhere near as consistent without leaning on him). I used to go out once or twice a week, not feel much improvement, and then lose motivation and give up as it always felt like a rewardless slog.

Getting out more often (3-5 times a week) and building the habit, nomatter how small a run or relatively 'slow' the effort, has allowed me to set lots of little improvement goals. Tiny. But I feel like I'm improving fortnightly, if not weekly. That's a huge factor in building belief that I can and will hit that 45 minute 10k at some point.

15 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I'm currently on 64 minutes for 10K, but slowly working the time down.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I'm currently on 64 minutes for 10K, but slowly working the time down.

That's great! At least you know you can do 10K! For me that felt like a great milestone. From then i knew I could do it and just wanted to get my time down. 

One thing I've learned is to not make every run a pace run.  At the moment Im maybe doing a 5k and 10k in a week that are quite quick, and then 2 x 4 milers much slower that I can enjoy a bit more. They are more recovery runs.

I started trying to add longer runs, 9 miles, aiming for half marathons etc but ive since decided not to bother for now. If I ever sign up for a half marathon Ill add longer runs, but 10K is a perfect distance to get really good fitness without turning into too much of an endurance slog that has no real benefits in day to day life. Even running 5k a few times a week will keep the fitness up pretty well.

17 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

That's great! At least you know you can do 10K! For me that felt like a great milestone. From then i knew I could do it and just wanted to get my time down. 

One thing I've learned is to not make every run a pace run.  At the moment Im maybe doing a 5k and 10k in a week that are quite quick, and then 2 x 4 milers much slower that I can enjoy a bit more. They are more recovery runs.

I started trying to add longer runs, 9 miles, aiming for half marathons etc but ive since decided not to bother for now. If I ever sign up for a half marathon Ill add longer runs, but 10K is a perfect distance to get really good fitness without turning into too much of an endurance slog that has no real benefits in day to day life. Even running 5k a few times a week will keep the fitness up pretty well.

I think 10K will probably be my limit. I'm pretty fit through playing football but that's a different kind of fitness and I've never been much of an endurance runner. However with no football on the horizon in the near future, I need to be out doing something. I'll be pretty bloody ecstatic if I can get below an hour.

14 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I think 10K will probably be my limit. I'm pretty fit through playing football but that's a different kind of fitness and I've never been much of an endurance runner. However with no football on the horizon in the near future, I need to be out doing something. I'll be pretty bloody ecstatic if I can get below an hour.

Oh you'll definitely get there! You really aren't far off. If you can do 64 mins alone i'd say with a running partner you'd already be able to get sub 60. For me anyway, I can definitely push more with someone else there.