You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

I've really got the bug for running now. I signed up to a load of races and it's paying off. My first 5k at a Parkrun was 32:20, two weeks back I ran a 5k race. I raced just my 2nd 10k race last night and got in at 51:02, over 5 mins quicker than my first one in January. I feel like I have loads of room for improvement too. I've lost over a stone since since last July, but would like to lose another stone. Feeling good!

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...

Went for the first for...fuck knows, a long time, today. I play the unmentionable once, sometimes twice, a week and can cope with that for an hour. Bit fucked by the last 10 minutes, but generally okay.

But running, fucking hell. I only ran about a mile and a half and could barely lift my legs by the end.

I know what you mean- I started again the other week after 5-6 months off, and it was like wading through treacle. My wife's a fitness instructor, and I've been going to the kettle bell classes she runs to strengthen my core and knees in the meantime. It seems to come back pretty quickly, I'm up to 4-5K with no real issue, but I'm only doing 6:15-7:15 minute kilometres at the moment, so it's going to take some time to build that up. Best tip is just to take it easy, build up slowly to 20-30Kms a week, and then work on your speed if you need to.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

After abandoning exercise for my PGCE I'm going to go back to C25k. I haven't jogged in about 2 years having been doing strength fitness before my hiatus. 

Shall I just start the programme from scratch?

Yeah mate. Don't do too much too soon, build yourself back up slowly. You'll be surprised how far you'll progress in 6 to 8 weeks. If you do too much too quickly there's a bigger risk of injury.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just back from W1R1. Embarrassed at my levels of fitness when I used to do 3 sub 25min 5ks a week. 

I've been fooled by my weight as it's stayed the same as my muscles have turned to flab and my bitch tits are back. 

No more. 

*Pictures this.....*

After over three years of being a pudding, I am finally back to being somewhere near my old shape. Training is still sporadic but the pace is increasing along with the distances. I've dropped from 70kg to 59/58 kg in a couple of months.

Went out on Monday after 5 days off and ran 10 miles in 70:55 with an average heart rate of 150 beats per minute. I've forgotten how much value hard training can add to my life. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not running - just walking - but can anyone recommend a GPS type watch? I'm almost at the stage of getting around without a crutch, and needing to build up strength in my limbs after long-term illnesses. It's a bit of a bastard being so unfit, and frustrating having to do baby steps but, having always been a competitive bastard, I need targets to keep motivated and challenge myself so as to not slack off.

I used to have a Fitbit but want something more suited to GPS aspects, as I need to do very basic, short walks and then build them up over time. The ideal type of data would be heart rate, V02, and the ability to plan and record the walking routes. A decent battery life is desirable, as the Fitbit was a pain to keep charging every day. I've looked at the Garmin 5 as it allows you to design your routes and give them names. It's quite pricey, though, so am looking for any alternatives to consider. Hopefully, the good old GF can come up trumps again!

Never been a runner. Never ran more than 3 miles and that was when I was in ok shape.

Signed up for a 10k in November. Done 3 training runs so far. 1 mile, 2k, and 3k today. Also done 3 treadmill sessions of about 20 mins at a fast jog. I can notice some significant improvement already as the first run of a mile really wrecked me! (Embarrassing but true). But eased through a 3k today in 16 mins and had more left in the tank.

Weird thing is, I've enjoyed the runs. Podcasts on, find a rhythm, and I almost forget I'm running. This has never happened to my in my life despite trying to run at several points and failing.

I think my downfall was running with other people, much faster than me, struggling to keep up, being in hell every second of the run. Now I just do my own thing at my own pace and naturally get faster. Also, that inner voice of 'what are you doing, you're not a fucking runner' hasn't showed up. Might be related to the CBD oil, might not.

It's still early days but I quite like it. Feel a proper buzz when I'm done too.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Not running - just walking - but can anyone recommend a GPS type watch? I'm almost at the stage of getting around without a crutch, and needing to build up strength in my limbs after long-term illnesses. It's a bit of a bastard being so unfit, and frustrating having to do baby steps but, having always been a competitive bastard, I need targets to keep motivated and challenge myself so as to not slack off.

I used to have a Fitbit but want something more suited to GPS aspects, as I need to do very basic, short walks and then build them up over time. The ideal type of data would be heart rate, V02, and the ability to plan and record the walking routes. A decent battery life is desirable, as the Fitbit was a pain to keep charging every day. I've looked at the Garmin 5 as it allows you to design your routes and give them names. It's quite pricey, though, so am looking for any alternatives to consider. Hopefully, the good old GF can come up trumps again!

Try Nike plus app. Really helps. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...