You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

30 x 5 mile runs completed - ran everyday through June not bad for an arl fella approaching 55, right on the ale in town today need a good blow out.

Brilliant that, mate. 

I'm currently averaging 3 runs a week, nowhere near 5 miles yet but starting to knock out 3km comfortably now. 

Current routine: 

Rest: Mon/Thurs

Run: Tues/Wed/Fri

Weights/Core: Sat/Sun

Finding it a nice balance so far but this weather is making the running part challenging. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers mate.

Just started off like yourself and built up mate was going out 5 times a week after a few months and at the beginning of June just set myself a goal,been hard in the weather but the last week and half been going out early around 6 in the morning still wamish but couldn't do the afternoons it's way to hot.

Back to my usual routine this month mate but will probably have a go again everyday in August.

• Upvote 2

30 x 5 mile runs completed - ran everyday through June not bad for an arl fella approaching 55, right on the ale in town today need a good blow out.

Class going mate. Fair play.

Your times must be getting really good. You heading out with your lads today?

Brilliant that, mate.

I'm currently averaging 3 runs a week, nowhere near 5 miles yet but starting to knock out 3km comfortably now.

Current routine:

Rest: Mon/Thurs

Run: Tues/Wed/Fri

Weights/Core: Sat/Sun

Finding it a nice balance so far but this weather is making the running part challenging.

Getting into and staying in the routine will stand you in good stead. You'll be upping the distance abd dropping your times in no time.

I've done two 5k races in the last 2 weeks. Broke my PB. I haven't been running as often as I'd like and only ran one morning in between the two races. It was 19 degrees or something like that around 6am. But it was far more bearable than after work.

Found the last km of my run very enjoyable today despite the heat. I could have sprinted a bit earlier today than I did as I had more in the tank than I thought.

I bought a 2nd hand TomTom gps watch a couple of weeks ago. Makes a big difference to keep an eye on your pace, but I forgot to stop it after both races!!

Class going mate. Fair play.

Your times must be getting really good. You heading out with your lads today?

You okay Byrnie mate,keep chipping away and enjoying it at the moment,the weight is sound and feeling okay,heading into town Byrnie footy and racing all day can't wack it,will text you Brynie hope alls well mate.

You okay Byrnie mate,keep chipping away and enjoying it at the moment,the weight is sound and feeling okay,heading into town Byrnie footy and racing all day can't wack it,will text you Brynie hope alls well mate.

I'll deffo be over a couple of times before Xmas. So save another blow out won't you!

Have you signed up for any more races or anything?

• 6 months later...

Mrs aRdjesse signed us up for Hackney half marathon in May a couple of weeks back. I haven’t done any exercise since I tore my PCL seven years ago. Been doing 5kms three times a week with her, and she’s a lot fitter (quicker than me) at present. I’m gonna have to quit those fags for good I think.

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Mrs aRdjesse signed us up for Hackney half marathon in May a couple of weeks back. I haven’t done any exercise since I tore my PCL seven years ago. Been doing 5kms three times a week with her, and she’s a lot fitter (quicker than me) at present. I’m gonna have to quit those fags for good I think.

Do a session of fartleks in the week, they fucking hurt but should improve your pace. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Do a session of fartleks in the week, they fucking hurt but should improve your pace. 

Like this?

Example 2: Middle Distance Events (1500m, 3k, 5k)

- Warm up with a steady jog for 10 minutes

- Run hard, above race pace for 3 minutes

- Jog slowly for 1 minute

- Repeat 6-8 times

- Cool down at a steady pace for 10 minutes

Looks tough.

That's intervals, and yes, they're a bit of a bastard. Fartlek is unstructured running- you just do what you feel like at variable pace and distance. This explains the difference between them.

If you're doing a half marathon, I'd concentrate on getting your distance up first and not worry about your pace until you're doing at least 25-30 km per week. Increase your runs steadily, say by about 10- 20% per week, until you hit that, and then start adding in intervals, tempo runs and the like and your running should come on leaps and bounds. You should still be looking to do 80% of your runs at a steady pace though.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's intervals, and yes, they're a bit of a bastard. Fartlek is unstructured running- you just do what you feel like at variable pace and distance. This explains the difference between them.

If you're doing a half marathon, I'd concentrate on getting your distance up first and not worry about your pace until you're doing at least 25-30 km per week. Increase your runs steadily, say by about 10- 20% per week, until you hit that, and then start adding in intervals, tempo runs and the like and your running should come on leaps and bounds. You should still be looking to do 80% of your runs at a steady pace though.

So given where I am, I should aim for 10km runs three times a week in 4-5 week time?

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

So given where I am, I should aim for 10km runs three times a week in 4-5 week time?

I haven't run a half marathon distance before, 10KM is my limit after damaging my knee, but are you able to run more frequently, say 4-5 times a week? You could spread about half the distance over 3-4 of those, and do a longer weekend run, pushing that one out over 8-10 weeks until you hit the 15-20K mark. 

Also, is there a local running club you could join up with? You'd get tailored advice from the coaches there.

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I haven't run a half marathon distance before, 10KM is my limit after damaging my knee, but are you able to run more frequently, say 4-5 times a week? You could spread about half the distance over 3-4 of those, and do a longer weekend run, pushing that one out over 8-10 weeks until you hit the 15-20K mark. 

Also, is there a local running club you could join up with? You'd get tailored advice from the coaches there.

That’s what the Nike+ app does for you.  Usually it’s 2-3 medium runs in the week and a longer run at the weekend.   It’s pretty good, allowing you to tailor the plan to your needs. Runs can be guided so a ‘coach’ talking you through it.  The intervals are guided too, you have to to do nothing other than do as you’re told. And try not to be sick.  

• Upvote 1

Cheers, I'll give that a whirl when I start up again, probably towards the end of February- the weather here can be a bitch over winter, so I usually leave it for a while save getting interrupted with snow and ice and just do weights and rowing in the meantime.

Previously, I've always found 'off the shelf' schedules to either be completely noddy or far too intense, and I've ended up pissing about taking bits from one and bits from another, which isn't ideal. If the app can tailor itself to me then that'd be great.