You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

• 2 months later...

Have you seen today that Strava have released heat maps of all their data world wide. Now, blokes and women in the forces have to run a lot to stay fit, and they are told that they absolutely shouldn’t be using GPS tracking watches, but not everyone listens.

So, there’s now maps showing the perimeter of lots of top secret bases all over the world and even a few in countries where there shouldn’t be any military presence.

Run through shin splints? That's taking bro science to a whole new level.

I know it was a while ago but just to clarify the statement about running through shin splints. I did not mean on the run you are on at the time. That is impossible. I meant get out the next day and the next and the next. That in my opinion is the only way to get rid of the fuckers. You have to go through it. Even if that means walking.

• 2 weeks later...

Was training up to one a few years ago. Gave it up when I started to get too thin. Not quite Mo Farah thin but everyone thought I was ill.

Pains everywhere and dodgy knees.

Now do 5k max at speed and hill sprints. Aerobic capacity is going through the roof while maintaining strength and losing fat. Don’t think I’ll go back to distance but good luck.

One piece of advice I was given that when doing your first marathon never do the distance in training. It’s great to get the buzz of doing it at the event.

15 weeks today until I run my first marathon (Edinburgh). Training is officially about to start, although have been running between 10-15k for the last few months.

Anyone ever done one? Anyone doing one themselves?

Been doing between 10K & 15K runs regularly mate,I started walking trying to lose weight in October ( lost 3 stone so far) then started running and increased it run by run,doing 10K in 54 minutues not bad for an arl fella of 54,doing the Liverpool 10K in April.

• Upvote 3

Don't become obsessed with the schedule, better to miss a few runs than turn a niggle into an injury. 

Long Slow Run and Mid week middle distance run are the most important, anything else is a bonus.

Don't run too quickly, as you start to get fitter, the urge will be to push it on. Don't. Run slow runs slowly and quick runs quickly. The slow runs are designed to help with endurance and not tire you out. 

Remember to enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Been doing between 10K & 15K runs regularly mate,I started walking trying to lose weight in October ( lost 3 stone so far) then started running and increased it run by run,doing 10K in 54 minutues not bad for an arl fella of 54,doing the Liverpool 10K in April.

Nice one mate.

Fair fucks to you.

I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve found the Nike+ app very good. The latest version has guided runs that are really useful especially for fartleks.

Edit it also has programmes based tailored for marathons that follow the one long weekend run and recovery runs with speed sessions thrown it.

I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve found the Nike+ app very good. The latest version has guided runs that are really useful especially for fartleks.

Edit it also has programmes based tailored for marathons that follow the one long weekend run and recovery runs with speed sessions thrown it.

That's the one I use mate it's spot on.

Does Edinburgh provide a training schedule?

I’d follow that or I know London does one.

Add 15min each week to your longest run and don’t go beyond 22k. It takes too much out of you to add additional miles. Sadly, you cannot train for that last 10k. It’s just sheer bloodymindedness.

Good luck. Look forward to reading about your progress

Cheers for the replies and advice.

Ran 10.5 miles yesterday in rain, sleet, hail and wind in just under an hour and a half so was pretty pleased with that as a starting point. Felt pretty good just a slight bit of stiffness this morning.

I’ve been having a little look online at reviews and what not for watches suited to running, ideally one that I can play Spotify through or download playlists from Spotify on to. It seems that apple watches aren’t the best for doing this as they don’t support Spotify. Anyone got any ideas or experiences with these?