You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Having got arthritis in my knee during my one and only half marathon 5 years ago today (1:37 since you ask), and being told I'd never run again I'm now back to running 5k and 7k regularly. Any more than 10 and my knee is in agony so no more halves for me, but I can't do without it again now.

That's pretty quick - I'm impressed.

I'm doing a Nike+ programme at the moment. Yesterday's run was 7 x 200m 'sprints'. Jesus I was fucked. People on the Middlewood Way openly laughing at me did little for my motivation.

I doff my cap to anyone who does a Marathon, regardless of age or condition, but when you hear about people in their 60s+ doing them it really puts any excuse you can throw out to shame.

Yes,and no for me. If you take it seriously then I admire those people but those in fancy dress are basically just having a long stroll. Regular Marathon runners also strike me as boring and obsessive bastards who use every opportunity to tell everybody else what they are doing. I'd say that briskly run 5 and 10k races are excellent for most of the population. Also dont knock treadmills as they are excellent at keeping you injury free(unless on Jackass) and flexible for years to come. I enjoy using a treadmill over running along dodgy roads and pavements,mud,ice etc far more than the outdoor stuff. This is the UK after all.

That's pretty quick - I'm impressed.

I'm doing a Nike+ programme at the moment. Yesterday's run was 7 x 200m 'sprints'. Jesus I was fucked. People on the Middlewood Way openly laughing at me did little for my motivation.

fartleks are a good way to build stamina.

• 4 weeks later...

I miss running. I use the gym but fucking hate it and want to get back into running out on the open road. My only problem is my knees, they're fucked. Years of f**tball at a half decent level have put paid to them and on Friday I was on a team building day in the go-karts and couldn't walk after getting out of one.

I need remedies, fixes and recommendations that are going to keep my knees working while I run because it's the only way I enjoy getting exercise.

• Upvote 2

I'm not dead, but it was hard. Getting old is shit.

Good work sir.  

As many predicted my initial running - to - treadmill transition I found as boring as shit.  Even though I do position myself behind the stairmaster which is as good a spot as any to spend time.

Having just tried to do a straight 5k jog on one trying everything to pass time, covering the screen, videos on my phone, podcasts etc I had to mix it up a bit by doing a 15 minute warm up run at a moderate pace and then a 20 minutes of 1 minute sprint, 1 minute jog.  Finding it really challenging and the sweat is pouring off me by the end and think it's improving my overall fitness. 

Since starting doing this I've been going twice to three times a week and enjoy the flexibility of being able to go at 8 or 9pm if I feel like it after tea.  Have yet to venture back outside but might crack on with the Parkrun this weekend weather dependent.  Gym has certainly softened me up.  

• 1 month later...

Having that shitty cough in December meant I stopped running. I've got back into the grove and have done about 50 miles this month and I'm just starting to feel better.

No booze and this moderate exercise has brought my resting heart rate back to 44bpm. I'm off this week so hoping to get another 30miles under my belt.

I have picked up a thigh strain, which has pissed me off as I am beginning to progress on fitness. Read that I should rest it 10 days at least which may set me back a little.

Give it 5 days rest then try a light jog. Dont try any hard of fast running. By hard or fast, I mean what is normal for you. If you feel ok, go for another light jog 3 days later. That should help maintain your fitness without making things worse.

If its a bad strain, you'll know as soon as you start jogging in which case stop.

Give it 5 days rest then try a light jog. Dont try any hard of fast running. By hard or fast, I mean what is normal for you. If you feel ok, go for another light jog 3 days later. That should help maintain your fitness without making things worse.

If its a bad strain, you'll know as soon as you start jogging in which case stop.

Its still sore now after 5 days, will just have to not run until the pain goes, pissed off with it to be honest.

Its still sore now after 5 days, will just have to not run until the pain goes, pissed off with it to be honest.

Just rest till it goes mate. Don't push it otherwise you'll just make it worse. Try some light walking then lightly stretch it off afterwards.