You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Champ - tomorrow the missus has 2 friends coming for the day. They've not been together for a year and 1 girl hasn't seen Izzy yet. Compared to staying in and being part of that 10 miles in the ice is a doddle!!!

I hope you've been pulling your weight, otherwise the cold outside will be nothing compared to the icy chill that greets you on your return

I hope you are up and about and ready for your 10 miles.

I have just gotten back from 11 miles, but the weather is currently a very pleasent 8 degrees and very little wind. Which does help.

Just having a few minutes with my daughter before I go. She slept for 6 hours last night, that's my current equivalent of a 4 min/mile!

Doing my second half marathon on Sunday in Liverpool. Did my first one in Liverpool in 2011 and got around in 2:13:54 which i was delighted with. Training has gone better this time i feel but for my last long run which was last Thursday makes me nervous. Ran for 11 miles but felt really tired for the last mile. Had run four miles the night previous so don't know if that might have made me tired. Each previous long run i had felt fine. Anyway hoping to complete it again. Going to take the first few miles easy on Sunday in the hope it will help me towards the end. Would 2 x 2 mile runs be enough to keep me ticking over until Sunday. Thanks.

Doing my second half marathon on Sunday in Liverpool. Did my first one in Liverpool in 2011 and got around in 2:13:54 which i was delighted with. Training has gone better this time i feel but for my last long run which was last Thursday makes me nervous. Ran for 11 miles but felt really tired for the last mile. Had run four miles the night previous so don't know if that might have made me tired. Each previous long run i had felt fine. Anyway hoping to complete it again. Going to take the first few miles easy on Sunday in the hope it will help me towards the end. Would 2 x 2 mile runs be enough to keep me ticking over until Sunday. Thanks.

How have you felt since? Have you run since?

To be honest, I dont know how much is science and how much is psychology at this stage. I think I would want to do one 10k following my last long run.

Are you limited by travel plans?

You will not gain any fitness between now and Sunday, so any running you do should be very, very slow. A 10k slow will help the mind as much as anything. This week is about getting to the start line fresh without losing fitness. So maybe a bit further than 2 miles (anything up to 10k) and then a final run of 2 miles.

To be honest' date=' I dont know how much is science and how much is psychology at this stage. I think I would want to do one 10k following my last long run.

Are you limited by travel plans?[/quote']

You will not gain any fitness between now and Sunday' date=' so any running you do should be very, very slow. A 10k slow will help the mind as much as anything. This week is about getting to the start line fresh without losing fitness. So maybe a bit further than 2 miles (anything up to 10k) and then a final run of 2 miles.[/quote']

Glad we're from the same hymn sheet. The last thing you need is confusion

To be honest, I dont know how much is science and how much is psychology at this stage. I think I would want to do one 10k following my last long run.

Are you limited by travel plans?

You will not gain any fitness between now and Sunday, so any running you do should be very, very slow. A 10k slow will help the mind as much as anything. This week is about getting to the start line fresh without losing fitness. So maybe a bit further than 2 miles (anything up to 10k) and then a final run of 2 miles.

Thanks a lot will go with that. Haven't run since the 11 mile last Thursday but felt fine since. Thanks again.

Did I go' date=' did I go? I smashed it!!! Did 9.82 miles in 1:19, which compares to 1:29 on Friday. That's on target for 1;45 for the half marathon but not sure I had 3 more miles in me.[/quote']

That's what a decent night's sleep gets you! You can do it

Did I go, did I go? I smashed it!!! Did 9.82 miles in 1:19, which compares to 1:29 on Friday. That's on target for 1;45 for the half marathon but not sure I had 3 more miles in me.

10 miles at Half marathon pace on your own will be a lot harder than 13.1 miles in a half mara race. The adrenaline, other racers and crowd will get you easily through.

The most important thing will be to not start too fast.

10 miles at Half marathon pace on your own will be a lot harder than 13.1 miles in a half mara race. The adrenaline' date=' other racers and crowd will get you easily through.

The most important thing will be to not start too fast.[/quote']

Yes, this man talks sense.

Talking from experience the hardest thing in mass race is to keep calm and collected.

Don't get caught up in the adrenaline rush, keep at the pace you are comfortable with and keep checking your timings each mile. Otherwise trust me you'll burn out soon enough by your body not being used to it.

No matter if there's an annoying twat who you want to get in front of or you feel great to begin with you'll soon start to feel yourself slowing down, keep to your pace and stick to it and you'll soon find yourself overtaking people in the last couple miles.

Always concentrate on your race, not anyone else's.