You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Podcasts

chorlton

• 3 months later...

Downloaded a few WTF with Marc Maron. Recent one with Louis CK on there. Some decent guests he's had.

Going to listen to this soon as well:

What Happened To Vishal?

Imagine your child goes missing.

Just vanishes.Seemingly without a trace.

33481.jpg

In 1981, eight-year-old Vishal Mehrotra was with his family as they celebrated the wedding of Prince Charles and Diana. As the family were heading home, he was taken.

He was found nine months later, buried in a shallow grave, missing his legs and lower spine.

33 years on, nobody knows who he was taken by.

His father Vishambar believes his son was taken by people linked to the VIP paedophile ring and that police knew this, but covered it up.

The media has been consumed for the last few years with stories of a paedophile ring involving politicians and police officers, judges and diplomats. Vishambar says he has evidence that his son may have been taken by men connected to this group, and that police never investigated.

Week-by-week, LBC’s senior reporter Tom Swarbrick presents his investigation into Vishambar’s claims, in order to try and answer one question:

What happened to Vishal?

Going to start this soon as well.

LORE

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/nov/01/aaron-mahnke-lore-history-podcast

Aaron Mahnke's Lore: 'history podcast' uncovers the dark side of human natur

History buffs can tune in every week to listen to real-life spooky stories from New England on wildly popular podcast

Aaron Mahnke’s fascination with ghost stories goes back to his childhood. As an adult, he explores such haunting tales each week on his podcast, Lore.

But there’s a twist: all the stories are true. Mahnke spends hours each week mining history, exploring past beliefs and historical monsters, trying to figure out what these grisly tales say about us as people and then recounting them each week on his wildly popular podcast.

Why You Should Listen

Lore got its start when Mahnke was trying to come up with a way to get people to sign up for a mailing list to receive news about his books.

“I figured they might get some entertainment out of some of the stories I uncover while doing research for novels,” he said. “I planned to write a white paper called My Five Favorite New England Myths because this area of the country is just so rich with spooky folklore.

“I got three or four myths in before I realized that people weren’t going to have time to read it.”

As an avid fan of audio content, and with a friend’s encouragement, Mahnke decided to launch a podcast.

The result is an incredibly well-researched show that goes deep into folkloric tales culled from history.

“None of my episodes contain stories or details that I’ve fabricated for the show,” he said. “All of the material is from documented stories or historical events. Some are ancient and some are modern, but they are all factual in the sense that people reported these things and believed they were true.”

While filled with historical facts, the show is not for everyone – it tends to cover some of history’s darker chapters.

“What I tell people is that Lore isn’t a ‘scary story podcast’, it’s a history podcast, with the material delivered in the oral storytelling tradition,” Mahnke explained. “It’s narrative, but I can’t go beyond the historical details.

“And the reality is that some stories are just downright frightening. Some reveal a very dark side to our human nature.”

Take for example the story of a small rural town in Rhode Island, where in 1892 the graves of three local women were dug up, in the hope of providing a gruesome cure for a mysterious illness affecting their brother. Mahnke delivers the ghoulish tale in a straightforward manner, without drawing out the details or highlighting the horror – even though it is a horrifying, albeit absolutely fascinating, story.

“I don’t want to glorify the gore,” he said. “I want to put a spotlight on the behavior and motives, and show how it contributed to superstitions and fears that are common to us today.”

Some stories are almost too creepy for even Mahnke to handle, but as a documentarian of history’s darker side he perseveres, as in the story behind the episode titled The Castle.

“I have to say that HH Holmes proved to be one creepy guy,” said Mahnke. “Anyone who hears about an approaching World’s Fair and says, ‘Hey, that’s the perfect time for me to open a boarding house and rent out [rooms] to women I can kidnap, torture, and kill,’ is not playing with a full deck of cards.

“The things he did, for as long as he did them, just boggle the mind.”

While the stories of Lore are frequently macabre, laying bare the horrors of human behavior, Mahnke does find some historical tales that give him hope, such as the story of Mary Webster that he documented in the episode Half-Hanged.

“Mary Webster was a joy to discover,” he said. “Here’s this story that seems like, on the surface, yet one more in a long line of witch-trial hate crimes. But in the end Mary is left with the final word and if I had a time machine, that’s one moment I would love to go back and experience for myself: seeing Mary stride back into town after everyone thought she was done and gone.”

Lore has become Mahnke’s life. He spends up to 20 hours a week researching each episode and then, not being one for ad libbing or speaking off the cuff, he writes out scripts for each show.

“I write every single word. Roughly 3,000 per episode, and another 1,500 or so on the off weeks for my Patreon supporters who get extra smaller episodes. It’s a lot of typing. A lot.”

He also does his own recording. That all means he doesn’t have time for much else. Luckily, he has been able to turn Lore into his full-time job.

“This is all I do now,” he said. “I research and write episodes, record and produce them, manage sponsorship relationships, do the accounting. Some of it is amazingly rewarding, and some if it is the boring side that any business has. But it’s a blessing to be able to do it all full-time.”

His efforts have paid off. He has a devoted audience who send him dozens of emails every day.

“It’s incredibly encouraging, and I try to thank everyone for their kind words,” said Mahnke. “I built something that people love, and it’s brought them closer together around something they’re passionate about. That’s a good feeling. We need more community in this age of digital isolation.”

If that community is based around history’s horrors, so be it.

Where To Start: The Castle, Half-Hanged, The Others

Subscribe to Lore on iTunes.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Freakonomics podcast is about a certain East Midlands-based team's performance in a certain recent sporting contest.

Apart from spending an inordinately long time explaining how European leagues work, for the benefit of the US audience, it's not a bad listen.

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointingly my favourite podcast The Biggest Problem in the Universe has ended with "artistic differences" being cited as the reason.  Both of the guys in it have launched their own podcasts which are very disappointing

Maddox debating himself for an hour in the Best Debate in the universe and Dick Masterson ranting about Muslims and genuinely being a Trump supporter on The Dick Show. 

Going to need a new one.