You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Podcasts

chorlton

I like an oul podcast while driving to work

High on my list at the moment is undr the cosh, the football podcast, which always gives a good, and fun insight into the lives of mainly lower level footballers during their playing days and into retirement. 

The other is Tris Dixons boxing life stories. Brilliant series with some of the best boxing guests imaginable 

You're wrong about is great.

They look at commonly held ideas, stories and beliefs that we accept as true without really questioning and pull them apart.

They are both university research professors, or something of the sort.

Some are a bit 'trashy', but the serious ones where they really investigate the veracity of the claims are great as they explore fully giving you a completely different picture from the one you'd always believed.

Worth a try, scroll down to the earlier ones at the bottom when they were still brimming with ideas.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1112270

On 02/07/2022 at 12:25, Elite said:

Struggling to find anything that peaks my interest at the moment apart from the usual.

I listen:

Fight Disciples 

Guardian football 

James English 

Shaun Attwood 

Mark Kermode movie podcast. 

Any suggestions?

Do you enjoy history or political podcasts?

28 minutes ago, Elite said:

Politics no.

History I don't mind but prefer discussion, not one person just telling stories.

Just on history podcasts, I’d give these an easy 9/10:

History on Fire(Roman, Greek, Native American, Spanish conquest of Americas, biographies on Joan of Arc, Caravaggio, Teddy Roosevelt, Jack Johnson as well as female snipers, duelling, and interviews with other history podcasters)

Revolutions - English civil war, American revolution, French Revolution, Haitian revolution, Bolivar revolution, Mexican revolution and the Russian one, too.

Age of Napoleon- Deep dive into Napoleon and the era that he grew up in, his childhood, education and all the shit that was kicking off that made him.

Hardcore History. Free audiobooks on the best topics in history, not a bad episode.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the above and a lot of them do different topics; so, if you’re not arsed about Roman Gladiators, you can choose another episode or topic that tickles your fancy.

Oh, there is one that I will recommend even though it is political. Do you remember that Canadian mayor who got caught smoking crack on camera 10 years ago? There’s an 8 episode look at him called The Gravy Train, it is outstanding.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin D said:

Just on history podcasts, I’d give these an easy 9/10:

History on Fire(Roman, Greek, Native American, Spanish conquest of Americas, biographies on Joan of Arc, Caravaggio, Teddy Roosevelt, Jack Johnson as well as female snipers, duelling, and interviews with other history podcasters)

Revolutions - English civil war, American revolution, French Revolution, Haitian revolution, Bolivar revolution, Mexican revolution and the Russian one, too.

Age of Napoleon- Deep dive into Napoleon and the era that he grew up in, his childhood, education and all the shit that was kicking off that made him.

Hardcore History. Free audiobooks on the best topics in history, not a bad episode.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the above and a lot of them do different topics; so, if you’re not arsed about Roman Gladiators, you can choose another episode or topic that tickles your fancy.

Oh, there is one that I will recommend even though it political. Do you remember that Canadian mayor who got caught smoking crack on camera 10 years ago? There’s an 8 episode look at him called The Gravy Train, it is outstanding.

I'll give those a try. Thanks.

I've never been a fan of true crime but there are some great true crime podcasts about. I listened to Gangster on BBC, about Paul Massey and Curtis Warren. Then one called Unravel about Lezlie Manukian, a mental con-woman. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p09g5sqf?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Looking for more of the same if anyone has any recommendations. 

On 02/07/2022 at 12:25, Elite said:

Struggling to find anything that peaks my interest at the moment apart from the usual.

I listen:

Fight Disciples 

Guardian football 

James English 

Shaun Attwood 

Mark Kermode movie podcast. 

Any suggestions?

The Harry Redknapp Show. 

I’m a late comer to podcasts. Only really started listening during the first lockdown. Ones I enjoy won’t be especially earth shattering to most, but here they are (I don’t listen to every episode of some of them):

1. The Adam Buxton Podcast

2. Parenting Hell with Rob Beckett and Josh Widdecombe

3. The Rest Is Politics

4. The Media Show

5. Grounded With Louis Theroux

6. The Rewatchables

7. The Big Picture

8. Hip Hop Saved My Life

9. Football, Feminism & Everything In Between

10. The Greatest Game

11. The Football Writers Podcast

12. Out To Lunch With Jay Rayner

13. The Red Agenda

14. Dissect 

15. Video Archives withTarantino & Avary

16. Football Weekly

17. Kermode On Film

18. The Liverpool Way

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Full Disclosure is really good. I’m listening to the Wes Streeting one, then going to listen to the Mick Lynch one after. Streeting seems unlike how some paint him. 

Yeah I quite like that. James O'Brien has a good interview style but like most it depends on the guest.

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Full Disclosure is really good. I’m listening to the Wes Streeting one, then going to listen to the Mick Lynch one after. Streeting seems unlike how some paint him. 

Yawn let me guess. Statmer's mate Streets is really a real down to earth geezer when you get to know him despite what them nasty lefty cunts say.

So transparent, bore off.

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I would absolutely never tire…

It takes a special type of twot to bother listening to something about Wes fucking Streeting, but hey hoy.

Does it mention his stupid fucking relationship with the Krays? Bore off.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It takes a special type of twot to bother listening to something about Wes fucking Streeting, but hey hoy.

Does it mention his stupid fucking relationship with the Krays? Bore off.

It shows a working class person who did well for themselves, you fucking hate those. This is why I respect people like Mick Lynch, because he’s out to help working people, you’re out to shame anybody who comes from nothing and uses their Labour to earn a few quid. You’re the nastiest little cunt on here and a liar, now you’re entering other threads to tell me to ‘bore off’, haven’t you destroyed enough threads on here already? 

Like I say, I’d never tire. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It shows a working class person who did well for themselves, you fucking hate those. This is why I respect people like Mick Lynch, because he’s out to help working people, you’re out to shame anybody who comes from nothing and uses their Labour to earn a few quid. You’re the nastiest little cunt on here and a liar, now your entering other threads to tel me to ‘bore off’, haven’t you destroyed enough threads on here already? 

Like I say, I’d never tire. 

You'd never tire of what exactly warrior?

How did I guess it'd be a big bucket of whitewash for Streeting from shilly? Note he had to throw in Mick Lynch to balance himself out. Read him like last night's echo, transparent half baked shit.

On his new mate Streeting, he's partly responsible for the tory party holding an 80 seat majority and our old age pensioners facing death this winter because they can't feed themselves or heat their homes.

This is our working class kid did good Wes just 2 fucking months before Labour were facing a general election..

Sorry but i will never forgive those cunts.

24 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You'd never tire of what exactly warrior?

Warrior, you say? This you?

On 15/07/2022 at 17:30, Gnasher said:

I'd fucking ruin you and Damien together. 

On 15/07/2022 at 17:24, Gnasher said:

Go on sunshine I'll meet you I'm in Liverpool in two weeks time. Don't bottle out.

On 15/07/2022 at 08:16, Gnasher said:

Yeah you're still a cowardly little cunt. Now do yourself a favour and fuck off.

On 15/07/2022 at 19:38, Gnasher said:

Now do yourself a favour kid, fuck off.

On 15/07/2022 at 18:35, Gnasher said:

I will meet the pair of you next time I am in Liverpool.  Simples.

Hilarious. 

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

How did I guess it'd be a big bucket of whitewash for Streeting from shilly? Note he had to throw in Mick Lynch to balance himself out. Read him like last night's echo, transparent half baked shit.

On his new mate Streeting, he's partly responsible for the tory party holding an 80 seat majority and our old age pensioners facing death this winter because they can't feed themselves or heat their homes.

This is our working class kid did good Wes just 2 fucking months before Labour were facing a general election..

Sorry but i will never forgive those cunts.

Apologies to the people that want to use this Podcast thread for podcasts, I made the mistake of saying which podcast I listened to and it’s not Gnasher approved. This thread is now going to be spammed with Twitter links. That’s on me. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Apologies to the people that want to use this Podcast thread for podcasts, I made the mistake of saying which podcast I listened to and it’s not Gnasher approved. This thread is now going to be spammed with Twitter links. That’s on me. 

Instead of spending time and trouble searching and posting old posts why not answer my question. What do you mean by you're 'I'd never tire' comment?  I ignored it the first time but you've repeated it again. Very strange.