You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Podcasts

chorlton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ross Noble on James O'Brien is absolutely brilliant. I've never been a massive fan of his stand up but in a relaxed interview setting he's hilarious. He reminds me of Bob Mortimer in some ways, that he's able to just chat normally but be very funny without it being forced.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a massive podcast fan but I've been doing a lot more driving for work of late and started delving in a bit more. I've enjoyed some of the recommendations here such as Adam Buxton, Jamie Carragher's Greatest Game, Stuff You Should Know, etc. 

The best thing I've listened to is 'Dissect' by Cole Cuchna, in which he thoroughly explores an album and artist. I've only listened to Season 1, which is about Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' but it's staggeringly good. There's an exceptional depth of knowledge, research and examination that goes in to each episode and it's lifted what was an already great album to genius level; it's brilliance reflects on both Cuchna and Lamar. He explores the themes, lyrics and music, showing incredible insight and picking up the most subtle of samples and references.

Future seasons focus on albums by Kanye West, Frank Ocean, Tyler, The Creator and Lamar's Damn. @Paul should be all over this. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

It's been around for a while now but I only found out about it from listening to a podcast it inspired, 'Coffee & Flowers', which does the same for The National. Their first season focuses on one of my absolute favourite albums of all time, Boxer. Again, it's a deep exploration of the lyrics and themes and made me love the album more than I already did. 

Get some.

Started listening to them last year when my job started to involve some travelling about, now if I'm on my own in the car it's all I listen to. Currently have the following on the go.

The Doug Stanhope Podcast (love this)

Last Podcast on the left.

Welcome to Nightvale.

Misfits.

Shagged Married Annoyed (there are some right dirty bastards about)

Lore.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Garrett Reisman on JRE is a great episode. Former astronaut and senior advisor at Space x.

That was excellent. He’s a great speaker and amazingly humble.  The story about seeing the earth for the first time was funny. And shitting in a space suit. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That was excellent. He’s a great speaker and amazingly humble.  The story about seeing the earth for the first time was funny. And shitting in a space suit. 

Very insightful and who better to learn about Space from than this guy.

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2020 at 06:15, Karl_b said:

I forgot to mention the Meaty Fucking Heroes that are Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson with their not-really-about-football football podcast, Athletico Mince. 

I cannot fucking stand Andy Dawson, just comes across as a 4th date comedian next to bob, doesn’t help that I always picture him as Andy Parsons.

4 hours ago, Ted & Phyllis (from number 14) said:

I cannot fucking stand Andy Dawson, just comes across as a 4th date comedian next to bob, doesn’t help that I always picture him as Andy Parsons.

I like him. He's not on Bob's level as a comedian but he's a great foil from him. Plus his "impression" of Woy and his work as the waiter of Slaughters is enough to justify him being there.

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I like him. He's not on Bob's level as a comedian but he's a great foil from him. Plus his "impression" of Woy and his work as the waiter of Slaughters is enough to justify him being there.

For me he finds himself far too funny, and I can’t see any humour in his musical interludes, I haven’t listened for a good few months, but Barry homeowner, Landlord and Poor Auld Peter and his eggs were always the  highlights. Along with the premiershits or whatever the segment was called.

On 09/02/2020 at 19:15, Karl_b said:

I forgot to mention the Meaty Fucking Heroes that are Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson with their not-really-about-football football podcast, Athletico Mince. 

I went to see Athletico Mince live last night, I haven't laughed so much in ages. It was a bit of a greatest hits, with old favourites doing some new content: English Manager's Lunch Club, Beardsley, Neil Fucking Hunt and, best of all, Roy 'Worhammer' Hodgson and Mark Lawrenson's top 10 confectionery items. 

The highlight was me being about the only person to laugh at one of Bob's jokes, him thanking me for "laughing at the night's best joke" and then handing me a gift. Made my night.

Now I can drink my camp-a-choo-choo on the go as I aim up, up, up, up in to the business sky. 

20200225_220410.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Just seen a promo for Talking Sopranos podcast with Bobby and Christopher and will give it a go as soon as I can, anyone listened?

Turns out there don't seem to be any episodes out yet so it's only just starting

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Louis Theroux is doing a podcast called Grounded, where he catches up with people he’s wanted to interview for ages during lockdown.

Jon Ronson on last week. The gonzo journalism equivalent of that restaurant scene in Heat.

Its on BBC Sounds.

• 3 weeks later...