You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Podcasts

chorlton

Musk isn't on the spectrum,[\b] he's an engineer. These are people that spend their lives finding the most efficient way to solve problems and have concluded that following norms of social interaction are inefficient to achieving their goals. He said himself he's not a business guy.

Wtf? This is like a saying Magic Johnson is not black he’s a basketball player.

The 2 are not only, not mutually exclusive, but people on the soectrum can make fucking excellent engineers. Indeed, some of the best engineers are known to be daubed with the autistic brush.

• Upvote 1

If a person spends a lot of their life alone then eventually they'll end up a bit weird. Or if you spend a lot of your life homeless you'd end up a bit weird because of the way you get treated.

I imagine the other extreme is true, having billions upon billions, being able to do literally anything you want without much fear of repercussion. And having hundreds of people every single day, a lot probably strangers telling you you are a genius. It's bound to make a person go a bit weird.

Like what has been mentioned, a lot of these billionaires stay out of the spotlight. They operate on a different level to the rest of us, just look at the clips of when Zuckerberg was in court.

I'm almost 31, if I had a quid for every second I've been alive then I still wouldn't be a billionaire.

And you've got people with 20x that (Musk) , 70x that (Zuckerberg), or 120x that (Bezos).

I'm not surprised they act differently to most humans do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2015 at 3:33 PM, Total Longo said:

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (RHLSTP) is truly hilarious at times. The Ross Noble one had me crying with laughter on the train, recently. 

Can't deal with TAW one as they all come across as hideously smug. Give me Dave and Numbers over them any day.

James Richardson's weekly Guardian f**ty ones are decent enough, mainly down to his sarcasm. 

I was down in London for work overnight last night and my bird made the trip down too, and bought us tickets to see this being recorded (First of the new series) as a surprise.

Bloody excellent.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've rarely ever listened to podcasts, but have been interested in the subject of this over the years and this is the first explanation of the history of it I've heard, so liked it quite a bit. Being new to podcasts I found the ads here distracting but it's from slate so maybe expected and I carried on listening anyway.

The Incunabula Papers

Ong's Hat, or The Incunabula Papers, is a conspiracy theory that arose on the early internet. Combining cutting edge science, mysticism, and obvious hokum, it intrigued thousands of people who tried to find out what it all meant.

(it's also considered to be one of the first ARG's.)

https://megaphone.link/SLT5448932272

Slate page with links for further reading : https://slate.com/culture/2018/10/decoder-ring-explores-the-interdimensional-conspiracy-theory-known-as-ongs-hat-the-man-who-created-it-and-the-new-form-of-art-it-birthed.html

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...