You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All well and good, he is a good manager but managing those sides is a bit like managing Celtic the default position is to win the league give the odd year off.

Well he won the league with AZ in holland and finished top 3 on 3 other occassions. They're traditionally an average sized club.

He managed Barca at a time when that league was massively competitive with about 4 teams all winning it around the same period.

Kuyt's wage would be linked to his transfer fee, but yes, I accept his contract renewals could well have him on a higher salary than before, but I doubt very much if it is higher than Carroll, or Suarez. If it was, he'd not be warming the bench permanently.

It's not so straight forward as that anyway - any new striker paid for now, will have a wage far higher than Kuyt's, unless we buy cheap, which isn't helping our cause is it?

What's that old saying? Better the Devil you know, than the Devil you don't.

If Kuyt has a good Euro, and I was Van Gaal, in the LFC DoF job, I'd be looking to renew his contract.

If Kenny did make some mistakes, his overuse if Henderson and Downing and lack of use of Maxi and Dirk were examples. Two very experienced players who should have been given more time, to help bed in the new signings more slowly.

I'd keep both the older guys and move on the two younger.

Sunday Mirror gossip column is the way to do it.

Van Gaal has told friends he wants the Liverpool job. A close pal said 'he's sick of this shit.'

Ah yes, tabloid journalism. Until such a time comes where 'gobshite' and 'nosy cunt' become acceptable journalistic vernacular, we'll just have to make do with 'a close pal' and 'an onlooker'.

I really hope LVG or someone of his calibre is involved as DOF or whatever fancy title they get particularly if it is as looks like Martinez or Rodgers, I rate both of them as good young managers with ideal philosophys on the game and with great potential however not entirely convinced they are ready yet for us, however with LVG working with them I'd be a lot more confident than throwing them in on their own, however its vital every party knows and agrees to who they are going to be working with before any appointments are made

Well he won the league with AZ in holland and finished top 3 on 3 other occassions. They're traditionally an average sized club.

He managed Barca at a time when that league was massively competitive with about 4 teams all winning it around the same period.

Yes, Ibut scratch away a bit more and you find AZ were European semi finalists and third a couple of times before he arrived.

Again, turning Barca around, with their money etc is like MoN turning Celtic around, it's expected not a shock.

Since when was managing Bayern Munich, Ajax, the Dutch National side, AZ Alkmaar and Barcelona anything like managing Celtic?

Since they were all one of the dominant teams in two team leagues. If you're manager of those sides (az excluded) your expected to win the league.

Hardly true here is it, not since Souness did his magic anyway.

We're now talking about taking a team from two seasons of 50 odd points To top 4 on (relatively) little money (one assumes after the last 18 months).

Even Rafas last 'cowardly, awful, controlling' season saw us get 63.

We're further away today than since Souness and so I don't think our needs etc are married to what Van Gaal has previously achieved.

U get me ?

If Van Gaal gets the job, I imagine he'll call Downing into his office for a chat on day 1, and it'll go something like this.

"Mind the plastic, Shtewart, I'm having some painting done..."

n-U_1WImxw0

• 4 months later...