You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not sure if this has its own thread yet (doesn't look like it) but the rumours about him joining us, as manager, seem to be gathering pace. The latest being Dirk saying he would be a great appointment. I have also seen a suggestion of him going upstairs and AVB taking the job.

All rumours at this stage though obviously.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has its own thread yet (doesn't look like it) but the rumours about him joining us, as manager, seem to be gathering pace. The latest being Dirk saying he would be a great appointment. I have also seen a suggestion of him going upstairs and AVB taking the job.

All rumours at this stage though obviously.

In other breaking news: loud noise heard, universe formed

Has the world ever seen a player more desperate to talk his way to a contract extention than Dirk Kuyt.

So he want's a manager that gives him a certain starting place. Well..................tha door is that way.

He's torn between playing regularly and taking a pay cut. He's happy to moan about not playing, but doesn't want to hand in a transfer request and take a hit on his salary.

I've never been a Dirk fan, but he's slipped under the radar a bit with his public whingeing and courting of other clubs.

Van Gall is class through and through. If this is the way they want to go - DOF and manager - then his appointment, if it happens, practically guarantees a young manager - Rodgers or Martinez. No experienced manager will accept a hard ass like LVG.

I like the set-up.

It won't be van Gaal, he's too old for FSG.

But the DoF role is supposed to be the overarching strategic role with longevity, so surely we should get a younger DoF than the manager?

This is like playing Championship Manager on acid, and they've just intalled 400 new updates.

But the DoF role is supposed to be the overarching strategic role with longevity, so surely we should get a younger DoF than the manager?

Why?

The life of a manager is around 3 years, you would hope to get 7 out of a DOF.

Its less about age and more about experience. What was Comolli ever going to teach KK apart from French?

It won't be van Gaal, he's too old for FSG.

I suspect you're right. I really don't see the point of hiring someone young for the sake of it. The correct course is always to hire the best man for the job, with age being largely a secondary factor. Hiring Van Gaal as DoF with a young manager underneath him is a recipe for disaster, imo. If that is the structure they are planning then it strikes me as fatally flawed.

would be great if he was appointed, but think fsg are looking for a young manager

look at his win percentages

Ajax 68.53

Barcelona 55.42

Netherlands 57.14

Barcelona 53.33

AZ 58.05

Bayern Munich 61.04

I don't think the Bayern and Barca ones are as good as you'd expect to be honest (albeit without looking at other good managers ratios at similar clubs) thats not to say I wouldn't want him though

would be great if he was appointed, but think fsg are looking for a young manager

look at his win percentages

Ajax 68.53

Barcelona 55.42

Netherlands 57.14

Barcelona 53.33

AZ 58.05

Bayern Munich 61.04

Pat Rice

Arsenal 100%

Kenny Dalglish

Liverpool 60%

Blackburn 52%

Celtic 55%

Liverpool 47%

Martin Oneill

Wycombe 46%

Norwich 45%

Celtic 75%

You have to take percentages with a pinch of salt really, since when you're at a top club you can expect an extra 10-20% boost for free!

Better to look at Before and After stats too to see if they actually improved something, or stepped into a winning formula to start with.

This is the problem I have with Guardiola. People are buying into him thinking they'll be getting Barcelona. A serious assumption that. Possibly a fatal one.

Pat Rice

Arsenal 100%

Kenny Dalglish

Liverpool 60%

Blackburn 52%

Celtic 55%

Liverpool 47%

Martin Oneill

Wycombe 46%

Norwich 45%

Celtic 75%

You have to take percentages with a pinch of salt really, since when you're at a top club you can expect an extra 10-20% boost for free!

Better to look at Before and After stats too to see if they actually improved something, or stepped into a winning formula to start with.

This is the problem I have with Guardiola. People are buying into him thinking they'll be getting Barcelona. A serious assumption that. Possibly a fatal one.

Good post.

At least you know that if you hire Guardiola you are going to get a manager who plays in the way that gives you a better chance of success as opposed to long balls to strikers with redundant midfield players.

Teams that achieve long term success all play in a similar way,with only variations tactics,formations and playing staff.

At least you know that if you hire Guardiola you are going to get a manager who plays in the way that gives you a better chance of success as opposed to long balls to strikers with redundant midfield players.

Martinez did some fabulous work at Swansea in terms of football ethos, a style which would find favour here.

Can he take the step up? it looks like we shall find out.

On topic, if we van get LVG as well, and the two can work together,that would give us far greater hope, and security.

Van Gaal is one of the most arrogant, divisive & singleminded managers about.

He also wants the managers job.

How long would it be before he starts to undermine the manager whoever it is.

Proof if any were needed that Henry & Werner haven't got a fucking clue how to go about this.

It's 2010 all over again and we're still making the same fucking mistakes.

Fucking shambles.

Van Gaal is one of the most arrogant, divisive & singleminded managers about.He also wants the managers job.

How long would it be before he starts to undermine the manager whoever it is.

It's a tricky call. An arrogant, truculent but successful bastard MIGHT be just what we need.

Whether FSG can handle the situation is another matter.

It's a tricky call. An arrogant, truculent but successful bastard MIGHT be just what we need.

Whether FSG can handle the situation is another matter.

As manager I'd agree.

But as a director of football who has designs on the managers job, is just a recipe for disaster regardless of who the manager is..

As manager I'd agree.

But as a director of football who has designs on the managers job, is just a recipe for disaster regardless of who the manager is..

Been thinking the same thing,

If Van Gaal gets the DOF role, its a fucking ticking timebomb there.

No matter who takes the managers job, Martinez, Villas Boas, Rodgers...it won't matter.

The 2 of them will clash.

In a sense, I think maybe the club needs someone like Van Gaal, someone who will take no shit and just lay down the law as needs be. But if we have a manager working under him and they have conflicting ideas it could get very messy.

Been thinking the same thing,

If Van Gaal gets the DOF role, its a fucking ticking timebomb there.

No matter who takes the managers job, Martinez, Villas Boas, Rodgers...it won't matter.

The 2 of them will clash.

In a sense, I think maybe the club needs someone like Van Gaal, someone who will take no shit and just lay down the law as needs be. But if we have a manager working under him and they have conflicting ideas it could get very messy.

Agree with pretty much every point you make mate. Bar one.

It will get very messy, not could.

Just give him the managers job.