You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

If we don't get someone in a sort of DoF role we should've just went for a more proven manager who didn't want a DoF either.

This is the original article on the 18th of May, just after they sacked Kenny.

New structure at Liverpool FC will realise owners’ vision, says Ian Ayre - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

If they have given Rodgers full control, looks like he has managed to convince them he is the special one, brave management or losing their bottle as the candidates became disinterested in their vision.

No you ignorant tit because Malaga are one of the richest clubs in Spain.

People don't like british managers because most of them are POMO endorsing fuckwits.

That's why some of the more enlightened posters tend to want a foreign manager.

Rodgers may well be a step in the right direction for coaching in this country but he learned it all abroad, which sort of makes your point fucking moot.

Replace the word british with black and you"ll see just how racist that post is

David Anderson þ@MirrorAnderson

Looks like Steve Clarke and Kevin Keen have been sacked to make way for Rodgers and his gang from Swansea.

Aw.

Oh well, pack your stuff up lads, anything left behind by 6pm gets incinerated in the car park.

If you need a CV then I suggest you didnt save wisely this last year.

I'm going to guess that the owners did not accept Clarke's resignation because they weren't sure Rodgers would sign. Now that he has, and bringing his own team with him, I guess the owners no longer deem Steve Clarke a necessity. I am hoping I am wrong because the defense under Clarke were one of the best in the league. I don't know if Swansea were as good defensively. I'm hoping Clarke stays.

For Rodgers the season of 2011/12 will be regarded as the touchstone for 2012/13, this time however, he’ll be upgrading the apparatus of which he conducts his orchestra. In contrast, the season of 2011/12 for Liverpool Football Club was one to forget – a season of ‘comme ci, comme ça’. While Rodgers was masterminding world-class performances from a hamper of championship (or adequate premier league) players, Liverpool were staging average performances week in, week out with players of a different calibre. This article aims to reveal the ‘magic’ ingredients that Brendan Rodgers prepared his Swansea class of 2011/12 with.

Before I read any further is the rest of the article just complete and utter bollocks as the above?

Bit of a cunts trick from Liverpool that. He offered his resignation after Kenny left and it was turned down, so now we sack him!

Its what you expect to happen at a non league club, pathetic and laughable is the only thing to decsribe it.

Bunch of amateurs.

Guest ShoePiss

I don't know whether to believe all of the Steve Clark stuff but if they did reject his resignation and then gave him the boot this week it's a terrible way to treat the man.

I hope it didn't go down like the above and they said something like why don't you wait until we decide on a manager and then decide if you want to be a part of things?

I'm going to guess that the owners did not accept Clarke's resignation because they weren't sure Rodgers would sign. Now that he has, and bringing his own team with him, I guess the owners no longer deem Steve Clarke a necessity. I am hoping I am wrong because the defense under Clarke were one of the best in the league. I don't know if Swansea were as good defensively. I'm hoping Clarke stays.

Before Clarke we where also 1 of the best defenses in the league, for a good 10 years at least.

This is a watershed for loads of us fans - I doubt whether we'll ever feel such a close affinity with Liverpool FC again. FSG have managed to push a lot of fans into being increasingly indifferent. Not good.

I'm in two minds. Largely pleased if we're not going to bring in a fully fledged DoF and actually let the manager....well....manage. It also reflects well on Rodgers if those were his terms, it shows he's not a patsy willing to take on a bigger job on any terms just for the sake of it, that he believes in his ideas. Of course if those ideas aren't right for us and take us backwards... but a crap manager is a crap manager and will fall on his arse in any system so that point is moot. Time will tell on that score.

However - as I've already seen from others scanning through the last page or two - and I agree, if apparently the reason we knocked back more proven candidates was their, justifiable, objection to being a DoF's puppet, then why wasn't one of them already holding up the scarf at Anfield a week ago?

That said, he's got my backing for now, so let's see what he's made of. Over to you...

I like the idea of Rodgers but with experience behind him in a dof role and having our own technical staff. I'm not so sure about a dude who looks about twelve with his champ managers sim and jpeg clips. Just seems a bit like giving the kids free reign to decorate the living room and then being surprised its completely fucked up.

I hate the concept of a DoF and if there isn't one I'd be delighted. I would definitely take Brendan Rodgers without a Director of Football than take him with one.

I think much of the clamour for a Director of Football stems from perhaps a lack of trust in the new manager and the fact it makes it more difficult to understand the thought process of employing him without one. Not speaking for everyone but it's just the perception I have of some of the posts.

I like the idea of Rodgers but with experience behind him in a dof role and having our own technical staff. I'm not so sure about a dude who looks about twelve with his champ managers sim and jpeg clips. Just seems a bit like giving the kids free reign to decorate the living room and then being surprised its completely fucked up.

Ace post.

However i think Van Gaal would have been complete hell.

What the club actually needs is a strategist type.

Hopefully someone like Barwick / Dein is coming in too.

Edited by thompsonsnose

I think most could understand the reasoning, even if they didn't agree with it, to get a low profile manager while overlooking more qualified candidates so they could also have a director of football in there. But to choose a low profile manager over managers that have so clearly been superior to him in their careers is fucking crazy.

I think most could understand the reasoning, even if they didn't agree with it, to get a low profile manager while overlooking more qualified candidates so they could also have a director of football in there. But to choose a low profile manager over managers that have so clearly been superior to him in their careers is fucking crazy.

Guardiola to Barca. Wenger to Arsenal. Benitez to Valencia. Klopp to Dortmund. Villas-Boas to Porto. Shankly to Liverpool. Dalglish for manager the first time.

Even the best managers looked a risky bet at some point in their career. There is no saying for sure that Rodgers will be great, but you cant only look at past achievements, you also have to factor in the talent of the manager. Much like when you scout players.