You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Quietly confident that we got the right man. Lets hope the owners get behind him and back him in the transfer market. lets get rid of the fucking deadwood, wipe the slate clean, get behind Rogers, and look to the future.

Welcome to the greatest football club on earth Brendan !! YNWA !!!

Could go either way.....

We don't have the option for this to go badly or it could ruin the club for the next 10 years, maybe more.

What options we have are a different debate. I took issue with your ridiculous claim this is as bad as appointing Hodgson.

Guest ShoePiss
I am pleasantly underwhelmed in a supportive yet non committal way.

Like a cold fuzzy feeling. On a bus.

That's an improvement for you. Good times indeed.

As long as there appears to be discord at the club, the more other clubs will try to utilise that - to unsettle players and try to gain a psychological edge before games.

The more solidarity from Anfield, the harder that will be to do.

There's already a huge name at the club... it's 'Anfield'.

Best of luck to him. Game on!

D'you know what. I'm gonna do something totally against the grain and get behind the team and the new manager of the team that I love and support.

Wacky, I know but that's how I roll.

Welcome to Liverpool, Brendan Rogers.

You must be super at being a fan. I remember having conversations regarding my doubts when Kenny was appointed player manager. Fuck was I glad to be wrong there.

Getting behind the team and manager is for the game. We're talking about footy here, no?

What options we have are a different debate. I took issue with your ridiculous claim this is as bad as appointing Hodgson.

Can't stand Hodgson but at least you could make a case for him. Find it hard to even make a case for Rodgers, it's all based on what he might do.

He might be the new Shankley, he may also turn out to be just the bloke who got sacked after 6 months with Reading.

Could go either way.....

We don't have the option for this to go badly or it could ruin the club for the next 10 years, maybe more.

Dont talk shite , first its possibly a worse appointment than hodgson and then this dramatic drivel.

Guest ShoePiss
Can't stand Hodgson but at least you could make a case for him. Find it hard to even make a case for Rodgers, it's all based on what he might do.

He might be the new Shankly, he may also turn out to be just the bloke who got sacked after 6 months with Reading.

Doubtful he'll be the next Shankly but he'll always be the bloke that was sacked after 6 months with Reading.

I'm only really responding to this because I can't stand seeing the great man's name being misspelled so fucking often.

SHANKLY.

Two things I already know about Rodgers - he's got immense confidence in his abilities and he's got the bollocks to step in after Kenny with the Rafa freaks baying at the fecking moon.

Both will be taking the piss at the first time of problems - which Rodgers has to know.

He hasn't proved himself? Sure - but we spent upwards of 100 million on fecking gash players that he's stuck with.

I pray to the footballing gods that first and foremost Brendan Rodgers is a ruthless fecking bastard who will ask for transfer sheets from any cunt player who wishes Kenny, or Rafa or anybody else was in his place.

The rot runs deep at the club.

He might be the new Shankley, he may also turn out to be just the bloke who got sacked after 6 months with Reading.

FUCKING SHANKLY

Not exactly delighted but I remember when Roy was on the way, the sense of impending doom was fairly strong. With this I sort of feel like "ahh lets see how it goes". That's at least something positive I suppose

Somewhere in the middle.

When Hodgson was appointed I was just totally underwhelmed and bemused as to how this old journeyman who had done nothing in his career had landed this job.

When Kenny was appointed I was elated for weeks and genuinely excited that he could take us back to the good times.

So what about Rodgers? I liked the football Swansea played last year so that's a plus (and something that Hodgson could never have had agaist his name), you can also say that he drastically overachieved last season when Swansea would have been favourites to go down at the start of the season so again he deserves credit for that.

I'm not as disappointed at this appointment as I am the fact that the owners didn't even want to consider Rafa for one and two the fact that 'of the rest' this seems like the best we could have done which is just astounding and very very sobering.

Good luck lad, you're going to need it.

Two things I already know about Rodgers - he's got immense confidence in his abilities and he's got the bollocks to step in after Kenny with the Rafa freaks baying at the fecking moon.

Both will be taking the piss at the first time of problems - which Rodgers has to know.

He hasn't proved himself? Sure - but we spent upwards of 100 million on fecking gash players that he's stuck with.

I pray to the footballing gods that first and foremost Brendan Rodgers is a ruthless fecking bastard who will ask for transfer sheets from any cunt player who wishes Kenny, or Rafa or anybody else was in his place.

The rot runs deep at the club.

Well then Reina will be the first out the door seeing as he reiterated that today. Good luck in finding someone better than him.

All this goes in his favour, certainly, but he's coming into one of the most high pressure jobs in football. Can he handle it? We've got no idea, because he's never done anything remotely approaching it.

I logged on to twatter a little while ago to see how the journos are reacting and spotted this:

Jacqui Oatley @JacquiOatley Brendan Rodgers recently told me he couldn't get an interview for League 1 jobs a couple of years ago. Now he's new Liverpool manager! #LFC

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

That sums up the scale of the gamble.

Also, I see a lot of people pointing to Swansea as a mark of how good he is. How about Reading, where the players failed to adapt to his methods?

Agree it's abit of a gamble, i wouldnt agree it sums up the scale of the gamble though. There is a difference between Reading and Liverpool. Hell there was a difference between Reading and Swansea too, one club had no strategy at all and the other had one which went hand in hand with what Rodgers stand for. We have better players more suited to the type of football Rodgers stands for. He'll most likely have a decent transfer kitty to work with too. And we really dont know what targets the board have set for him, most likely top 4, and that will depend most on our transfer dealings.

I see a lot of people pointing to Swansea as a mark of how good he is. How about Reading, where the players failed to adapt to his methods?

That's my worry about Rodgers too. That he got the Swansea job when they were on the verge of getting into the playoffs anyway. Martinez implemented the style and the way of playing there then Sousa came in and made them one of the best defensive units into the league. I'm not saying he didn't have an effect on them getting promotion because he obviously did, the signings of Sinclair and Borini were key in getting them promotion but I'm not sure he actually changed anything massively there.

Same thing with last season, were Swansea really THAT good or was it just the low quality of teams in the bottom half of the table that inflated their points total?