You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

FSG still making a cunt of it, if they think he is the person to lead the club over the next 3 years and take us into the Champions League then 4-5 million is a small price to pay. Get your fingers out of your hole Henry and get the deal done.

Mind you perhaps we could have done with their input when Kenny was spending money like fucking monopoly.

Edited by christhered

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Woah, imagine a big club trying to use its size and stature to save money. No other clubs would do that. WE'RE SUCH CUNTS.

Stalling over compensation according to Sky Sports.

He has a buyout clause so if push comes to shove, we will just pay that. We ain't gonna back out over a few mil. Can't blame Swansea for hanging on for as much as they can get. FSG obviously want him in time for the kit launch tomorrow but that's not Swansea's problem.

For me appointing Rafa would be a huge risk. He had six seasons' worth of chances, Both LVG and Capello could be short term improves as managers, but no guarantee of an overall forward looking plan. AvB already failed in England so also a risk.

No managerial signing is without risks, but some of the best ones ever has been when inexperienced but talented young managers have been given a chance at a big club: Rafa at Valencia, AVB at Porto, Guardiola at Barca. EDIT: And as someone mentioned on another thread, Wenger from Japan, Klopp from Mainz.

You are confusing the presence of risk with the degree of risk. All risks are not equal.

In the same way that Valencia not having the choice of four league winning managers is different to us having the choice of four league winning managers.

FSG still making a cunt of it, if they think he is the person to lead the club over the next 3 years and take us into the Champions League then 4-5 million is a small price to pay. Get your fingers out of your hole Henry and get the deal done.

Mind you perhaps we could have done with their input when Kenny was spending money like fucking monopoly.

Who said it's FSG who are stalling? Maybe Swansea are asking for a ridiculous amount?

What point are you trying to make?

For days now the only justification for Rodgers & Martinez is that they'll fit in better with the new system.Now if reports are to be believed Van Gaal isn't coming and the DoF is going to be watered down.

So for arguments sake that's true (and I happen to believe it is):

Offer me one compelling reason to choose Rodgers over Van Gaal, Rafa, AVB or Capello.

Says who? the press?, Sky? The club have said pretty much nothing during this process.

Your choice of VG, Rafa, AVB and Capello is just that- your choice. AVB is pretty much still an unknown when it comes to the premier, Rafa ( the Rafa of 2005 to 2008 I would have welcomed back) Capello - maybe a bit distant in terms of the players as would possibly be Van Gaal.

There's no denying Rodgers is a gamble but we shall need to wait and see. Any one of the names above could have succeeded or failed. I for one after last season believed Kenny couldn't fail in the league howw rong was that assumption?

Oh FFS - why should they stump up the first requested amount ? It's not called negotiation for nothing.

Oh FFS - why should they stump up the first requested amount ? It's not called negotiation for nothing.

Perhaps just a bit of frustration on my part. Lets be fair though £5million is not to much to ask for a manager they are about to put a tremendous amount of faith in, just a little worried that they are not entirely convinced about him

Fucking hell. Do we really have people following us who are this fucking stupid?

Although nice to note that by your final line you actually realised what you'd written was fucking stupid and started to show a modicum of intelligence.

Says who? the press?, Sky? The club have said pretty much nothing during this process.

Your choice of VG, Rafa, AVB and Capello is just that- your choice. AVB is pretty much still an unknown when it comes to the premier, Rafa ( the Rafa of 2005 to 2008 I would have welcomed back) Capello - maybe a bit distant in terms of the players as would possibly be Van Gaal.

There's no denying Rodgers is a gamble but we shall need to wait and see. Any one of the names above could have succeeded or failed. I for one after last season believed Kenny couldn't fail in the league howw rong was that assumption?

The supporters.

Take a look in this thread.

That's been about the only thing Rodgers & Martinez had going for them.

They're not my choice FSG spoke to two of the parties themselves.

They ignored Rafa, spoke to AVB, spoke to Van Gaal and Capello's agent said he'd be open to the idea.

Which numerous clubs have been able to manage to the point of winning league titles and european cups.

"Clubs" being the operative word. He tends to move around. Van Gaal would be here 3 years maximum and then we can all go through this charade again. Rodgers should offer some stability and longevity. It might be a slow process but I would view his appointment, in terms of risk, less of a gamble than Van Gaal. Depends on your interpretation of risk I guess.

Working on your logic of success=success it baffles me why England didnt sweep to glory at the World Cup with Cappello, why Scolari wasnt a sensation at Chelsea, why AVB was so crap and so on.

For me, some clubs and mangers are just well met. Rodgers seems to have the personal characteristics of being "our type" Time will tell.

"Clubs" being the operative word. He tends to move around. Van Gaal would be here 3 years maximum and then we can all go through this charade again. Rodgers should offer some stability and longevity. It might be a slow process but I would view his appointment, in terms of risk, less of a gamble than Van Gaal. Depends on your interpretation of risk I guess.

Working on your logic of success=success it baffles me why England didnt sweep to glory at the World Cup with Cappello, why Scolari wasnt a sensation at Chelsea, why AVB was so crap and so on.

For me, some clubs and mangers are just well met. Rodgers seems to have the personal characteristics of being "our type" Time will tell.

Rodgers has been offered a 3 year contract.

Records and experience aside, it's difficult to make a case against daved!

Obviously they are doing the sensible thing and negotiating the buyout clause. That Hugh Jenkins from Swansea has form for striking a good deal for his club, here is a pic of Wigan's press conference when Dave have I got news for you Whelan announced the press conference, but the stumbling block was he couldn't agree terms with Swansea over Martinez.

They ended up unveiling their new manager without the manager as they haggled over terms for the manager and his backroom staff. Typical Dave, always premature with the news.

article-0-054E6ED4000005DC-832_468x263.jpg

"For me, some clubs and mangers are just well met. Rodgers seems to have the personal characteristics of being "our type" Time will tell.

I think this is true and managerial appointments often become 'masterstrokes' in retropsect.

All prospective candidates involved some sort of risk for different reasons and obviously lack of experience at the 'top level' is the risk involved here and is therefore a bold move from FSG.

I don't buy into the theory that he's just a malleable yes man or that the owners are settling for mediocrity by appointing him. They're aiming to establish a structure and philosophy at the club that will serve us well in the long term and a young tactically astute coach such as Rodgers fits the bill.

Never mind stats. Anyone who went to the Swansea game at Anfield or even the Liberty this season couldn't fail to be impressed with how he translated his vision of the game to his players and onto the pitch. They moved forward fluently, with angled passes, always with options and when they didn't have the ball they were organised and pressed high to force errors and win the ball back in dangerous areas. It was like cross between the style of Kenny and Rafa.

I'm looking at the positives now that we've lost Kenny and I am one of the many who were completely gutted at his dimissal and believe Kenny deserved another season.

I just think it's time to get fully behind the new man because he will need it just as the players will. It's not his fault that he's not Kenny and he won't be able to work instant miracles at a time when our rivals, already ahead of us, are hoovering up Europe's best, but I'm quietly encouraged that we may be onto a good thing if he is given the time which wasn't afforded to Kenny.