You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

I dont think Rodgers could work under the proviso of having little say in the transfers, whereas Martinez probably would accept that constraint, mainly because he's got a lot less to lose than Rodgers.

I think Brendan Rogers is a fantastic management talent. Again, it's more about personality and confidence than anything. Great managers are like great salesmen, although having intelligence as well is what separates a Mourinho from a Holloway.

All these were tipped as men who had a bright career ahead of them.

It is impressive what Rodgers has done in his first season, but he is very inexperienced, ultimately many more fail than make it, a sad fact. Let's hope we get a good one.

Employing managers on who might be the next great thing seems a bit of a lottery to me.

My instinct says that Rodgers has what it takes to be a top manager. I'm not endorsing him for the job here, I'd still rather have someone with better credentials on papaer, Van Gaal, Rafa, etc, but I'd prefer Rodgers to Martinez as to me Rodgers has that certain edge that Martinez doesn't.

It'd be a big big gamble but I do like Rodgers.

I dont think Rodgers could work under the proviso of having little say in the transfers, whereas Martinez probably would accept that constraint, mainly because he's got a lot less to lose than Rodgers.

I think Brendan Rogers is a fantastic management talent. Again, it's more about personality and confidence than anything. Great managers are like great salesmen, although having intelligence as well is what separates a Mourinho from a Holloway.

I don't think Martinez would agree to not having a say in players myself.

It's strange how it works, management styles that is, because you have all sort of different people who react in different ways to different methods.

Robbie Savage is adamant that Martin O Neill is the best manager he has every worked under, and said that he just commanded respect. Now, it's certainly not based on him being 'hard', MON is a speccy, puny, withered man. In the world of Alpha Male footballers, MON is the last person in the world who should be respected, you may think.

I think it's the intelligence card, or pretending to be intelligent, that's a big factor in terms of respect. But it's the confidence that goes with the intelligence, and it's being firm with players, but at the same time being fair, and I suspect that having the gift of the gab can get you a long way in management, quick put-downs of players in front of other players can be devastating. A group of footballers is like a pack of wolves, weakness is not tolerated, and to have someone like MON point out your deficiencies in a cruel way must be a footballer's worst nightmare.

Robbie Savage went into some detail about how he made him feel, and the power he wielded over him, there was a fear of MON but mixed with a determination to please him, to serve him.

But, then again, this is Robbie Savage's story. This is what worked for him, and it won't be typical across all footballers. But, you have to find a common denominator in management, and that is the pack, the animal that is a group of alpha male sportsmen, many of which have a below-average intelligence level. I dont think that's a harsh thing to deduce, many of them knew they were destined to be professional footballers and were pulled out of classes, and never took education too seriously. So, in my view, the MON style of management is an excellent one. Now if you find someone who can control a crowd like he can, and meld that with tactical genius and footballing philiosophy, and if that person could also be less of a cunt than MON, then you've got a World Class manager.

Now, I'm not saying MON is a brilliant manager, because he's not. He lacks the tactical intelligence to get a team to a level like Benitez can, or Mourinho. But he's got the other aspect of it down to a tee. If he had something worthwhile to pass on to the players, he'd be a brilliant manager.

And I'm thinking that Rodgers is along these lines, to a degree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I like Martin O'Neil. I don't want him as our manager, but I like him. As a manager, I mean. He's a tit.

My instinct says that Rodgers has what it takes to be a top manager. I'm not endorsing him for the job here, I'd still rather have someone with better credentials on papaer, Van Gaal, Rafa, etc, but I'd prefer Rodgers to Martinez as to me Rodgers has that certain edge that Martinez doesn't.

It is an instinct thing mainly I agree, The one thing that you would hope would give Rodgers the edge, is he has been thinking about coaching and training players for around 15 years, as his playing days finished early. Rafa, Jose, Wenger, AVB & even Moyes had similar experiences. Not as manager but behind the scenes. As Rafa used to say to Carragher are you watching or analysing the game.

I believe good managers are not born, they have to work at it, and the more you practice the better your skills. I would take the experience of vanGaal & Rafa and Klopp would be a perfect fit, for what they want all day long to be manager and say get on with it. None of those look likely to happen though, so it is purely a hunch what we are working with.

I don't think Martinez would agree to not having a say in players myself.

I think Martinez has a window here, and that window is time-limited.

If he stays at Wigan, they'll likely get relegated next year, and his reputation as this brilliant manager will come to an abrupt end.

If he goes to Villa, and dont forget that they were very nearly relegated as well, then the same could happen as at Wigan, albeit he'd be at a bigger club and it'd be seen as a failure to do what he did at Wigan at a club like Villa.

If he comes to Liverpool then he has excuses if he doesn't do well. It's a new system, it's a new style of management, it's the DoF's fault, it's x,y,z. He can lead us to 9th in the league and there will still be people defending him at the end of the season, I guarantee there will.

The trick isn't winning things as a manager, the trick is staying in the game.

The only thing Moyes has done at Everton is survive, and he's been talked up as the next United manager. Utter bollocks, I know, but that's what longevity in the game gives you, the illusion of excellence.

Now, I'm not saying MON is a brilliant manager, because he's not. He lacks the tactical intelligence to get a team to a level like Benitez can, or Mourinho. But he's got the other aspect of it down to a tee. If he had something worthwhile to pass on to the players, he'd be a brilliant manager.

Lambert is far more similar to O'Neil than Rodgers, I would say from reading and seeing how they conduct themselves.

Not all of them are like that' date=' some only wear [i']one[/i] diamond earing.

That's something to note, and I know you're taking the piss a bit, but not all footballers are the same. For every mong like John Terry you've got someone like David James or Graeme Le Saux.

This is why it's important to control the pack, the group of players. Even with a bit of intelligence, the likes of Le Saux and James would still not appreciate being shown up in front of the squad, and so would hopefully respond to that threat in a way that makes them avoid being singled out, ie, perform well.

The thing with pack control though is that you have to have total control over them, and that means ejecting any members of the group that could try to oppose you in front of the group. Ferguson rules absolute at United because he will tear a player apart in front of the others. I think Beckham tested that and got a boot kicked at his head, shortly after Beckham was gone.

I'm not sure it works in other languages in the same way. Could AvB have sounded menacing to John Terry in the dressing room? Paulo Di Canio is an example of a foreign manager who could. I think you have to have an excellent control of English to get away with it, I'm not sure Rafa ever did.

I'm having all that. Exactly how I see it. Rodgers seems to have more about him than other populist choices of the past and the present.

I think he has gone about his apprenticeship the right way, he is intelligent on more than one level and he seems like a tough fucker to me, so rather than wandering in and cooing "Ooh that's Steven Gerrard there, cor, a chance to work with Steven Gerrard", he seems like the kind of fella that, when Gerrard has his Huyton misery head on, will tell him to pick his fucking gob up and be a leader of men aswell as a leader by example, or he might find the Captains armband being worn by someone else.

I can see Rodgers being a Management strongman, which, if you add to his football philosophy which has been clearly demonstrated, suggests to me that he isn't far off the best candidate of all and certainly seems the best of those still standing. I'd say he his head and shoulders above Martinez.

This is only my instincts telling me this, but he seems to be a fella who not only could go the whole way in management but has the desire to get there.

There is a world of difference between being told you are going to make it and wanting and seeing yourself there. I think some of the others believed their own press and thought iut would be easy, this fella seems pretty clued in and strong to me. I like the cut of his gib and I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we got him.

It's strange how it works, management styles that is, because you have all sort of different people who react in different ways to different methods.

Robbie Savage is adamant that Martin O Neill is the best manager he has every worked under, and said that he just commanded respect. Now, it's certainly not based on him being 'hard', MON is a speccy, puny, withered man. In the world of Alpha Male footballers, MON is the last person in the world who should be respected, you may think.

I think it's the intelligence card, or pretending to be intelligent, that's a big factor in terms of respect. But it's the confidence that goes with the intelligence, and it's being firm with players, but at the same time being fair, and I suspect that having the gift of the gab can get you a long way in management, quick put-downs of players in front of other players can be devastating. A group of footballers is like a pack of wolves, weakness is not tolerated, and to have someone like MON point out your deficiencies in a cruel way must be a footballer's worst nightmare.

Robbie Savage went into some detail about how he made him feel, and the power he wielded over him, there was a fear of MON but mixed with a determination to please him, to serve him.

But, then again, this is Robbie Savage's story. This is what worked for him, and it won't be typical across all footballers. But, you have to find a common denominator in management, and that is the pack, the animal that is a group of alpha male sportsmen, many of which have a below-average intelligence level. I dont think that's a harsh thing to deduce, many of them knew they were destined to be professional footballers and were pulled out of classes, and never took education too seriously. So, in my view, the MON style of management is an excellent one. Now if you find someone who can control a crowd like he can, and meld that with tactical genius and footballing philiosophy, and if that person could also be less of a cunt than MON, then you've got a World Class manager.

Think you've got O'Neill nailed down there. Brilliant motivational manager and the players respect him. Tactically he's so easily sussed and one dimensional i think it's quite ridiculous he's so highly thought of by so many.

Regarding Rodgers i think he is a great managerial prospect, he's impressed the hell out of me this last season, and possibly even more so since we've been linked and i've started reading up on him. He stands for the 'right' type of football. Possession based, high pressing and quick passing, defending leads with the ball. How he's trying to evolve by going abroad and learning.

But at the same time it might be a little to soon for him to take on a club with aspirations towards CL football and titles.

I think you're mixing "authority" with "menace"

You don't need to scare players in order to gain their respect.

A bit of both never goes amiss. Nowt wrong with a touch of menace.

Respect and authority do go hand in hand and are THE winning combination, but a touch of 'do that again and I'll fucking hurt you' leaves people in a better frame of mind to get the job done.

I'm not so sure a lot of lazy players give a fuck about authority and respect. Kenny should have had total authority and respect, but he didn't because the players put in quite disgraceful performances under him time and time again. There was obviously an issue whereby some players just didn't give a fuck what one of the best players in the World had to say when coaching or criticising them. How do you get through to twats like that?

I think you have to lead with the stick rather than the carrot, otherwise the carrot has to get bigger and bigger to satisfy the greedy player each time. The stick always works, it's the stick, it hurts. It can also lead to people rearing up at you as well, but at least it got a reaction dammit.

I don't think it's their 'respect' that you are aiming for. It has to be fear in most cases. In some cases you'll get committed people like Carragher who never need to be picked on, a fair few players are like that, just give 100% each game out of personal pride. In those cases, they won't feel the fear, but they'll respect the manager for using it on teammates who aren't giving 100% because I bet they've been dying to say something to the idle cunts themselves.

I dont recall too many successful 'nice' managers.

This is a big danger with someone like Martinez, I don't think he could issue a proper dressing down if he tried.

What motivates one player, will not work on another, which is why the English focus on 'arm around the shoulder' is a pile of bollocks. All Martin O'Goblin does is buy players who respond to his style of motivation, and his style of football. Give him a footballer with a bit of nouse and style and they will be asking him for tactics and insights and he will be lost.

Compare Gerrard and Hamman's reaction to Rafa!

For what its worth i think that both Rodgers and Martinez will be big successes at the right club and at the right time but that club or that time isnt us or now.

I actually feel Lambert will be a top manager myself following in the footsteps of others from north of the border and he is doing things the right way for his own future career.

The thing that I think will motivate modern players with Lambert is his big shiny Champions League winners medal and his overseas playing experience.

I also think hes perfect for British football.

It's interesting to see the media's take on Rodgers. He deserves massive respect for the football Swansea have played, and their transition to the Premiership, however it wasn't actually him who introduced that style of football to the club.

It was Martinez.

I'm not advocating either as I think both are too inexperienced at this stage, but it's worth noting the link.

Another thought is that it looks like Martinez' style of play really started to click towards the end of the season, and if he stays it would be interesting to see if they could take that through to next season, and start to push on.

I agree, I think Lambert is just as impressive as anyone.

I'd be delighted with Lambert or Rodgers as manager/head coach whatever it transpires to be. But I dont see either having a look-in, it's Martinez and we all know it deep down.

I just hope that when the time comes to grab one of them, we take it. Otherwise you'll have Spurs and United and probably Arsenal involved in the hunt for a new manager in the next 3 or 4 years at one stage or another.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins says no approach has been made from Liverpool to speak to manager Brendan Rodgers.

He says reports this morning saying that Rodgers will meet with Liverpool's owners over their vacant managerial position is just "pure speculation".

A statement is also expected later to end the speculation.

What motivates one player, will not work on another, which is why the English focus on 'arm around the shoulder' is a pile of bollocks. All Martin O'Goblin does is buy players who respond to his style of motivation, and his style of football. Give him a footballer with a bit of nouse and style and they will be asking him for tactics and insights and he will be lost.

Compare Gerrard and Hamman's reaction to Rafa!

Spot on.

Gerrard was a cunt hair away from leaving because he expected the arm round the shoulder treatment from Rafa, wanted someone to wax lyrical as to how great he was but that wasn't Rafa's style when he came to LFC. His stance to that did soften over the years as he realsised he needed to do that in order to get the best out of some of them. The problem was it was still an alien concept to him so its effectiveness was limited.

Rodgers would give us a much bigger chance of signing Gylfi, so I am tentatively in.

At the end of the day, if you're signing players of that calibre, it doesn't really matter who your manager is. Just let them get out on the field and do their thing and you'll win more often than not. Harry Redknapp has no tactical nous whatsoever, he just buys good players and motivates them. A good footballer will handle the rest.

A bit of both never goes amiss. Nowt wrong with a touch of menace.

[sTARK] Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both? [/sTARK]