You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't any evidence, hence the 'if'. There isn't any evidence that Martinez has been offered a job, and yet people are already talking about giving the new manager a chance. We don't know who is acting as consultant to the club. More speculation, yes. But that's what we do on the forum.

I'd say the fact that Whelan has stated publicly he's been offered the job, provides us with some sort of evidence.

Everyone knows Whelan is an epic cunt, but as Martinez's friend and current employer, he'd definitely be in a position to know. Of course, him contracting verbal diarrhea every time a microphone is near him, may end up costing Martinez the job, but on Martinez's job offer, I do actually believe him.

I'd say the fact that Whelan has stated publicly he's been offered the job, provides us with some sort of evidence.

Everyone knows Whelan is an epic cunt, but as Martinez's friend and current employer, he'd definitely be in a position to know. Of course, him contracting verbal diarrhea every time a microphone is near him, may end up costing Martinez the job, but on Martinez's job offer, I do actually believe him.

That's not evidence. That's Dave Whelan spouting off again. So I'd call that hearsay. Then again, what possible reason could Dave Whelan have for 'confirming' that Martinez has been offered the job?

Whelan has also said that his bezzie mate Ferguson is going to retire this year, or was it last year. Maybe it's two years from now? Soon? Anyway, I'm not quick to believe Whelan, when the club denounced that claim. Then again maybe the club is lying...

I'm resigned to this happening now.

incredible that someone who got less than 2% in a supporters poll is going to be our new manager. well at least he'll have to win over almost 100% of us.

massive decision by FSG, only time and results will tell if it's the right one.

There's talk of Martinez being offered the technical or sporting director job now. Perhaps that's the manager 'offer' that Whelan was talking about. I'm waiting for Whelan's interview with Sky to go over the details of the position.

Whelan peppered his little moment in the spotlight with "i think", so i reckon there's still a fair degree of doubt about whether a bona fide offer was made.

Ayre said the sporting director would be first, so either LvG or whoever has signed or the "offer" to Martinez was a mere "would you be interested if" type inquiry.

Or we've done it all arse about face and Ayre's a moron.

As for Dein, it's guesswork. He was clearly around during the period the reviews were going on, plus several press reports which seemed a bit briefed that FSG were seeking expert advice.

Amateur detective work and perhaps wishful thinking, but not out of the realms of possibility.

There's talk of Martinez being offered the technical or sporting director job now. Perhaps that's the manager 'offer' that Whelan was talking about. I'm waiting for Whelan's interview with Sky to go over the details of the position.

that makes even less sense. who's gonna be the manager? Justin Bieber?

Whelan peppered his little moment in the spotlight with "i think"' date=' so i reckon there's still a fair degree of doubt about whether a bona fide offer was made.

Ayre said the sporting director would be first, so either LvG or whoever has signed or the "offer" to Martinez was a mere "would you be interested if" type inquiry.

Or we've done it all arse about face and Ayre's a moron.

As for [b']Dein[/b], it's guesswork. He was clearly around during the period the reviews were going on, plus several press reports which seemed a bir briefed that FSG were seeking expert advice.

Amateur detective work and perhaps wishful thinking, but not out of the realms of possibility.

They've made no secret of being admirers of the arsenal model. Bringing in wengers man comolli to buy players so I wouldn't be surprised if Dein was involved and he's announced in some exec role also.

They've made no secret of being admirers of the arsenal model. Bringing in wengers man comolli to buy players so I wouldn't be surprised if Dein was involved and he's announced in some exec role also.

Here's hoping.

The whole Martinez appointment, for me, rests on who put him forward, and why.

Dein, LvG, Bogeystain etc are footballing men with great knowledge, so if he's been earmarked as a manager of the future by such men i'm willing to bow their greater knowledge.

The worry is that he's just a name, picked on stats and soundbites by FSG, small enough to accept working in a revised coaching role.

I suppose only time will tell.

Thats what I have been thinking. Martinez getting young and exciting players plus Van Gal having his own pick for the first team.

Is it possible that we got it backwards? Is Whelan a cunt and just talking shite? It would be awesome if its so.

Jesus this is getting confusing........

That's why I'm inclined to think it's bollocks.

We've got about 12 pieces of a 200 piece jigsaw and people are already insisting they know what it is.

What we do know is that we are talking to both men about the positions. Other than that its just speculation and rumours.

Martinez manager and Van Gal director or Van Gal manager and Martinez director?

Youth vs Experience.

What we do know is that we are talking to both men about the positions. Other than that its just speculation and rumours.

Martinez manager and Van Gal director or Van Gal manager and Martinez director?

Youth vs Experience.

No, we know that we've spoken to one man, Martinez, because of that photo.

We could have spoken to, and interviewed another 10 people maybe even more.

I've heard nothing concrete about Van Gaal, at all.

The only reason we knew about Martinez was because of Whelan blabbing about going to Miami, otherwise even that photo would nEver even have existed either.

We've also not heard anything concrete about the DoF and manager set-up, again, we are speculating based on some very tentative reading between lines.

That's not evidence. That's Dave Whelan spouting off again. So I'd call that hearsay. Then again, what possible reason could Dave Whelan have for 'confirming' that Martinez has been offered the job?

Whelan has also said that his bezzie mate Ferguson is going to retire this year, or was it last year. Maybe it's two years from now? Soon? Anyway, I'm not quick to believe Whelan, when the club denounced that claim. Then again maybe the club is lying...

Of course it is evidence. You can choose to ignore or disbelieve it, but it's still evidence.

Guest San Don
LVG as manager, Martinez as sporting or technical director. I know, none of this makes sense.

Seeing as the sporting or technical director is the 'senior' in this model, there's no way LVG will have martinez above him, none whatsoever.

Seeing as the sporting or technical director is the 'senior' in this model, there's no way LVG will have martinez above him, none whatsoever.

And what kind of 38 year old manager would accept a job like that?

Successful managers need to be single minded in their approach. Can you imagine what Rafa would have said to that job offer at 38? Or Mourinho?

Arsenal, for all the talk about their lack of cups, are consistently in the Champions League spot. If the owners aren't looking to spend any of their own money, want top 4, and aren't bothered about the cups (domestic or otherwise) then the Arsenal model might be the one that you would map closely onto to achieve those goals if you were FSG. If they are also being advised by David Dein, then I imagine that the are looking to be the new Arsenal.

Keith Edelman the former arsenal MD was definitely involved with the take over so maybe he's the link to the arsenal model.

The fact is at this point none of us really know what will happen and I personally am not sure that Martinez will take it or is our number one choice.

Certain things in the media would suggest Martinez is the first choice, the comments in the Echo suggesting he should be given a fair chance and deserves his chance, the fact he was the first and so far only one to be interviewed and the supposed press conference. However, I have found James Pearce's articles in the Echo pretty interesting. Last week he advised that the club were adamant that whilst people had rejected the job in public, in private they had suggested they would be interested.

I took that to mean Rodgers but in his article yesterday he also mentioned they were still hopeful of talking to Klopp. That would suggest to me that both have intimated they would be interested but did not want to show their hand publically (if at all) to then later be rejected.

The media may be right over Martinez but they do tend to jump the gun a bit. The media one day are convinced its Martinez and the next day they are not. Today for instance I see we potentially want to talk to Joachim Loew.

We all seem to believe it because the media say its so but it could be that it suits the club for everyone to think its Martinez.

For instance, last week no one had really mentioned Van Gaal for director of football, it was a guy from Sporting Lisbon or the guy who was at Barca. Then all the papers suddenly said it was Van Gaal. I.E. they probably go on what is being leaked by the club. No one knew that Ayre was in Portugal last week talking to Van Gaal until it was in the paper today, again probably leaked by the club.

If John Henry wanted to keep the talk with Martinez quiet I am sure he would not have been seen walking down a street with him.

Whelan said that Martinez was having further talks with Martinez on Tuesday, now he is having a press conference. Does that not suggest he is staying.

I just think we need to keep an open mind. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Martinez but it wouldn't surprise me if it were somebody whose name has hardly been mentioned.We knew nothing about Comolli until the day he was hired and we knew nothing about him going until the day he was fired.