You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

Interesting. Paints a picture of someone operating under constraints. But even casting it in a positive light, it doesn't show any kind of over-performance. Best you can say is wigan regressed about as much as you would expect. Woo hoo!

If he'd been churning out players like West Ham or traded like Porto do you could understand it. What you've shown is: meh.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it's Brendan Rodger's brother blabbing that he's got the job.

Wouldn't surprise me,one of the papers is running with a Wigan press conference on Tuesday to announce Martinez future.

As soon as I read that I thought it would be Dave Whelan going on about Martinez turning down Liverpool to stay with little Wigan and how he is a future scum manager.

1.Because of a hope of what he could achieve, given the chance.

2. Because to fall out with one board is bad luck, to fall out with two boards is bad management, to fall out with three successive boards is bad judgement.

It's a good job they're not going for someone like Louis Van Gaal as DoF then.

Oh wait...

I'm not going to fully quote the list of transfers, because to be honest I found it hard to read, which might be because I've had a day in the sun, did a lot of driving, and have now had a few beers, but Bruce and Martinez did not work on similar budgets.

But just going from your numbers, if I have read them right, Bruce had a net spend of about half a million, Martinez's net spend is negative £10m, how is that similar?!?

Your numbers are confirmed by Swiss Ramble in his blog from last year, with the numbers taken from the annual reports, although it does not include last season.

This table shows the transfer spend, just look at the transfer income of £15m, and remind ourselves it was Martinez's first season. Yes the next season he spends more in one season than any other manager, but it is not even half of what he brought in the season before.

I think it should also be pointed out that in Bruce's last season, his net spend was heavily affected by the January sales of Palacios and Heskey.

I must have read it wrong then. But the part in bold you could say the same for Martinez with Cattermole & Valencia.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is depressing as fuck. We're analysing his level of shitness. Whether he's slightly less shit or slightly more shit, or even the same level of shitness, as Steve Bruce is somewhat besides the point.

It's nothing to do with being friends. We can all easily agree on Benitez's achievements and his fantastic start to his career at Liverpool. Where it all goes wrong is people's differing perceptions of his last 18 months at the club. There is more than a bit of the 'battered wives' syndrome at play. It explains why so many fans just cannot understand why FSG haven't brought him straight back.

FSG wouldn't know a good or bad manager, even if he volleyed them up the arse,

It's obvious that Ayre is blocking Benitez's return,

I've moved on from Benitez if were getting a proven top class replacement for Kenny,

but fuck me are you trying to tell me that we can only attract the calibre of Martinez and Rodgers?

Something stinks to high fuckin heaven here and I'm starting to see similarities to Hicks and Gillett here

This is depressing as fuck. We're analysing his level of shitness. Whether he's slightly less shit or slightly more shit, or even the same level of shitness, as Steve Bruce is somewhat besides the point.

Well at least we have nice graphs. That always helps in the decision-making process.

It is simple. The Yanks do not intend to put in a penny of their own money.

Thus he can spend what we earn £20m or so per year.

They are hoping he can somehow get a top 8 team to overachieve and scab a top 4 finish.

It sums up where we are

The fact wigan are holding a press conference says to me that martinez is resigning from his position at wigan to take over at Liverpool. But whelan wants one more headline as he's a cunt.

I beg to differ. You wouldn't hold a press conference to say that you're leaving. Also you'd expect Liverpool to be the one to unveil him as their manager. The fact that it's been mentioned on several occasions tby the echo and Tony Barrett that we plan to interview more candidates next week makes it's even more premature that Martinez would be announcing that he's joining us.

Guest ShoePiss

Still happening? I think I'm going on a weekend bender, wake up and the blow will be sotftened.

FSG, ha don't question them.

I beg to differ. You wouldn't hold a press conference to say that you're leaving. Also you'd expect Liverpool to be the one to unveil him as their manager. The fact that it's been mentioned on several occasions tby the echo and Tony Barrett that we plan to interview more candidates next week makes it's even more premature that Martinez would be announcing that he's joining us.

I'd go with RM staying at Wigan and Whelan using it to bigup Wigan and to take the piss out of our recruitment methods.

They are hoping he can somehow get a top 8 team to overachieve and scab a top 4 finish.

It sums up where we are

Sounds like Arsenal.

Arsenal, for all the talk about their lack of cups, are consistently in the Champions League spot. If the owners aren't looking to spend any of their own money, want top 4, and aren't bothered about the cups (domestic or otherwise) then the Arsenal model might be the one that you would map closely onto to achieve those goals if you were FSG. If they are also being advised by David Dein, then I imagine that the are looking to be the new Arsenal.

Dave is letting us down here, he should have a press conference to talk about the press conference on Tuesday.

I reckon it will be to slag Liverpool and will end up in a xenophobic rant, mentioning yanks and Suarez the racist, with obvious praise to Ferguson and Manchester United.

It sums up where we are

You are correct in one instance - FSG will not be spending a penny of their own cash, but we don't make £20m a year.

The DoF will be there to add another protective layer between the supporters and them. Phrases like "market value" will be rolled out to excuse them.

Arsenal, for all the talk about their lack of cups, are consistently in the Champions League spot. If the owners aren't looking to spend any of their own money, want top 4, and aren't bothered about the cups (domestic or otherwise) then the Arsenal model might be the one that you would map closely onto to achieve those goals if you were FSG. If they are also being advised by David Dein, then I imagine that the are looking to be the new Arsenal.

Where is this evidence that David Dein is anywhere near our club? Apart from some wishful thinking, not one person has quantified this, yet I've seen it thrown around a lot.

So are we about to be publically snubbed by Martinez? And if so, where does that leave us?

We all put our names into the ring, and the youngest and hungriest gets chosen.

Start print screening your FM achievements. It's on.

Crying-Baby-001.jpg

They don't come much younger or hungrier than this fella. He's my choice.

Where is this evidence that David Dein is anywhere near our club? Apart from some wishful thinking, not one person has quantified this, yet I've seen it thrown around a lot.

There isn't any evidence, hence the 'if'. There isn't any evidence that Martinez has been offered a job, and yet people are already talking about giving the new manager a chance. We don't know who is acting as consultant to the club. More speculation, yes. But that's what we do on the forum.